Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charles Darwin, the father of evolutionary biology was skeptical of evolutionary psychology like you are promoting.

Evolutionary psychology sees women as monogamous and men as polygamous, due to genetics, when in reality it has a whole lot more to do with social structure and culture.

The fact that women have since the beginning of time, until just very recently, needed the protection of men to survive is not debateable.
Charles Darwin was wrong about a lot of things. Promiscuity Differs by Gender

But since that EXAMPLE doesn't seem to satisfy you, please do this exercise. Google: "Study shows men..." and take your pick. You'll see a lot of studies that show "natural traits of men" that you may not like.

The point here is not that men are promiscuous. The point is to show that anyone can use that "it's in our nature" cop out to justify their outdated beliefs. It's basically saying "I'm an animal, I can't help it if I'm gold digger."

Besides, women no longer need the protection of men to survive so they should not rely on men, plain and simple.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Charles Darwin was wrong about a lot of things. Promiscuity Differs by Gender

But since that EXAMPLE doesn't seem to satisfy you, please do this exercise. Google: "Study shows men..." and take your pick. You'll see a lot of studies that show "natural traits of men" that you may not like.

The point here is not that men are promiscuous. The point is to show that anyone can use that "it's in our nature" cop out to justify their outdated beliefs. It's basically saying "I'm an animal, I can't help it if I'm gold digger."

Besides, women no longer need the protection of men to survive so they should not rely on men, plain and simple.
We'll just have to agree to disagree my friend

I am happy to "rely" on my man all day every day - and he wouldn't have it any other way either.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
Default No

Do women really want a guy with money?

No, they really want a guy who's money they can spend. This is more than a subtle difference.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
Quote:
Charles Darwin, the father of evolutionary biology was skeptical of evolutionary psychology like you are promoting.
That's because it was successfully repressed in Victorian times.

Starting in the late 1960s, for women, the lid came completely off the repression and we now have an environment that is closer to the times before civilization created all these structures and sanctions to prevent people from doing what their primal instinctual urges dictated.

Men did not obtain the same freedoms, partly because they still had to maintain societal standards to have even a much reduced success in breeding and partly because the feminist movement successfully lobbied for many new laws to control their behavior.

Some day, men may get organized and demand reciprocity. Or our society may collapse. Many men are predicting the latter but I'm not one of them. When the costs become too high, there will be a natural swing of the pendulum to get behaviors and their costs under control.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:54 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree my friend

I am happy to "rely" on my man all day every day - and he wouldn't have it any other way either.
Whatever floats your boat. I don't care. You chose to "rely" on a man, fine. Enjoy it.

But don't say most women are that way because that's how nature design them just to feel better about your own decisions. That excuse is waaaaay overused these days. Like you said, Darwin was skeptical of biological determinism. And women viewing males as providers remains a largely socially induced concept that's being deconstructed fast with women advances in the labour market.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
That's because it was successfully repressed in Victorian times.

Starting in the late 1960s, for women, the lid came completely off the repression and we now have an environment that is closer to the times before civilization created all these structures and sanctions to prevent people from doing what their primal instinctual urges dictated.

Men did not obtain the same freedoms, partly because they still had to maintain societal standards to have even a much reduced success in breeding and partly because the feminist movement successfully lobbied for many new laws to control their behavior.

Some day, men may get organized and demand reciprocity. Or our society may collapse. Many men are predicting the latter but I'm not one of them. When the costs become too high, there will be a natural swing of the pendulum to get behaviors and their costs under control.

I didn't realize civilization began with the Victorian age

Some of you guys really love finding all kinds of ways to blame women for all your own problems.

Life would be so much smoother if men and women learned to embrace their differences - to celebrate that we each offer one another things we need - to work together instead of working against one another. Those of us in succesful relationships already do this, you should try it too!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Because women work and all that, I let them show me their independence by taking me out just like I take them out. It works pretty good.
I don't ask men out at the beginning. I let men be men by approaching me. I don't like chasing a men, it is kind of against nature. Men love to pursue... even though they will deny it forever.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
I didn't realize civilization began with the Victorian age

Some of you guys really love finding all kinds of ways to blame women for all your own problems.

Life would be so much smoother if men and women learned to embrace their differences - to celebrate that we each offer one another things we need - to work together instead of working against one another. Those of us in succesful relationships already do this, you should try it too!
Amen. It's comical. There are so many women out there willing to pay a man's way, SO many, to their own detriment. Add to this the women who are AFRAID to let a man pay and others who are just too independent to allow it. SO many for these men to choose from. They know these women exist, they're just peeved that ALL women don't do it. Amazing, this overtone of entitlement. The hallmark of misogyny.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Amen. It's comical. There are so many women out there willing to pay a man's way, SO many, to their own detriment. Add to this the women who are AFRAID to let a man pay and others who are just too independent to allow it. SO many for these men to choose from. They know these women exist, they're just peeved that ALL women don't do it.

Amen!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Whatever floats your boat. I don't care. You chose to "rely" on a man, fine. Enjoy it.

But don't say most women are that way because that's how nature design them just to feel better about your own decisions.
I don't see where that was the case in her posts. Men have played the role of the provider for ages, that is not debatable. Whether it is DNA or not, it is what society has lived by. As such, it is no shocker that this is what is expected from both men and women, even now. That doesn't excuse the abuse of these roles. I mean in a reasonable sense.

I can say that it has been that way in my family up until my generation so I have no problem with him doing it and I have no problem with being the provider at home. In fact, I prefer to be in that role, a role that so many refer to as mooching and, in the other direction, slaving. My reality is that it is neither.

Either way, with the statement above, are you implying that she should feel bad about her decisions to the point of "justifying"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships