Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,053 times

Advertisements

Lately, most couples are testing their partners by intentionally pissing them off to see how they fare under stressful situations. I find this concept ridiculous because if you know something bothers your mate, why would you intentionally try them? To see how they react? You're a fool for that, and not in a good way. Have any of you done/Do any of you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,942,278 times
That is a good way to lose a friend.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM

831 posts, read 1,963,957 times
I know I am a recipient of this "test," only my SO would disagree.

From what I observe of his behaviors -- things that he has gotten clobbered for in the past and will continue to attempt to do in more creative ways, less obvious ways, or ways that bend the laws of semantics -- it seems to me to be the thrill of seeing if he can get away with something. More like a thrill junkie than a stress test, but similar trappings IMHO. It's not a measure of how I fare in stressful situations though; I have determined it's like that scene in Jurassic Park where the velociraptors test the fencing around their enclosure for weakness. I think it more leans towards a tolerance test.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM

229 posts, read 778,548 times
"Most couples" ?? Did you take a poll?

This makes no sense to me.

If anybody needs to "test" their partner, I question their sanity and their capability of making sound decisions.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Lately, most couples are testing their partners by intentionally pissing them off to see how they fare under stressful situations. I find this concept ridiculous because if you know something bothers your mate, why would you intentionally try them? To see how they react? You're a fool for that, and not in a good way. Have any of you done/Do any of you do it?
Ummmm...not to be picky or anything but how do you know "most couples" are doing this?

I have never had this done to me, which is probably a miracle for many reasons, and I've never done it to anyone else. Did I know which buttons to push if I wanted to? Yup. But I have never been a proponent of looking for trouble, intentionally starting trouble or dealing with the drama such silliness creates. It's immature. It's enough that we sometimes make people mad unintenionally and that is more than enough to deal with.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:20 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I certainly do not do things to "test" my husband and intentionally guage his reaction. We have plenty of real life stressful situations that come up that put us both to the test, individually & collectively.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:28 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
I wouldn't do it, never have. Life is such that there are plenty of opportunities to see how one will react to any given situation. Go with the flow.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times
If my partner ever made me jump through hoops like that, I'd tell them to go find another dog to do tricks with.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Ummmm...not to be picky or anything but how do you know "most couples" are doing this?

I have never had this done to me, which is probably a miracle for many reasons, and I've never done it to anyone else. Did I know which buttons to push if I wanted to? Yup. But I have never been a proponent of looking for trouble, intentionally starting trouble or dealing with the drama such silliness creates. It's immature. It's enough that we sometimes make people mad unintenionally and that is more than enough to deal with.
I was speaking from a general perspective. Some prospective couples do "test" their partners by pushing their buttons to gauge how they'll react in negative situations. It's straight silly IMO and you're bound to get more than you bargained for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
"Most couples" ?? Did you take a poll?

This makes no sense to me.

If anybody needs to "test" their partner, I question their sanity and their capability of making sound decisions.
I agree with the last sentence, which inspired this thread. What I mean by "testing" your partner is by intentionally pushing his/her buttons to see how they respond in a stressful situation. Life is going to throw you curve balls and how you respond to situations out of or within control are a testament to your strength.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,556,392 times
Being married to me.................that's a test in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships