Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM

740 posts, read 1,233,048 times

Advertisements

There is is this girl in myn running club who I, frankly thought was a s**t. She was with this a man and that, but I knew she was married. I met her husband tonight. He was a pilot who crashed. She nursed him to where he is now (about 12 yr old mental age) from "he will never speak again". He is unaware he is married and thinks she is his sister and has for 4 years. He brings home high school girls and can't figure out why his sister is angry. She won't divorce because his family will not take care of him. I dunno, I usually condemn cheaters, but in this case I feel some sympathy.

Anyone else get hit with a "one mile in their shoes story?"

Last edited by typhoidmary; 02-25-2010 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Damnit typo in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Now that is a truly strange story. I guess I can see your point and understand how difficult it would be to be the wife of such a person. You wouldn't think he would be able to function socially considering his mental condition. What surprises me is that he can pick up high school girls so he must have been able to regain certain social skills. In any case it's a very weird situation and I don't think I've ever heard of anything like it.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:43 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,074 times
Just a really good example of why it's better not to judge others...we never know the struggles anyone is facing in private...I admire her dedication to this man. Hope you can be a friend to her -- sounds like she needs support and encouragement.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,644 times
I believed the story right up to the point where he's bringing home high school girls. I mean give me a break! He's mentally proficient and socially adept enough to convince high schools girls to come home with him, but he can't understand that he's married?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
Anyone else get hit with a "one mile in their shoes story?"
I do think I have personally encountered a situation as unusual as they one you have retold, but certainly there are numerous situations that might justify a relationship outside of marriage.

You story reminds me of the situation involving former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and her husband, John. John was a very supportive husband to his wife -- indeed, he effectively held back his very promising legal career so she could pursue hers. Alas, in his latter years he developed Alzheimer's disease and eventually forget about his wife and family.

Sandra made sure that John was taken well care of in an assisted living facility. While there, John and another Alzheimer's patient developed a romantic interest in one another and this women became his "girlfriend." Sandra visited her husband regularly but, of course, he had no recollection of his wife. John did, however, talk to Sandra with his new found girlfriend, reportedly holding hands with her in front of Sandra. The retired Justice said nothing to John, of course, and told others that she was in fact happy that John was so pleased and at peace.

That, folks, is love.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
I do think I have personally encountered a situation as unusual as they one you have retold, but certainly there are numerous situations that might justify a relationship outside of marriage.

You story reminds me of the situation involving former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and her husband, John. John was a very supportive husband to his wife -- indeed, he effectively held back his very promising legal career so she could pursue hers. Alas, in his latter years he developed Alzheimer's disease and eventually forget about his wife and family.

Sandra made sure that John was taken well care of in an assisted living facility. While there, John and another Alzheimer's patient developed a romantic interest in one another and this women became his "girlfriend." Sandra visited her husband regularly but, of course, he had no recollection of his wife. John did, however, talk to Sandra with his new found girlfriend, reportedly holding hands with her in front of Sandra. The retired Justice said nothing to John, of course, and told others that she was in fact happy that John was so pleased and at peace.

That, folks, is love.
Indeed it is.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post

That, folks, is love.
this sounds like the movie:

YouTube - AWAY FROM HER - Trailer

Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
Yeah, I usually misjudge... he's a...

Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Most people would have divorced him and let his family throw him away in a nursing home. When I was younger, my great grandmother developed alzheimer's and thought my grandmother was two different people. When she had her wig and clothes on, she was "that woman", when she was dressed for bed, she was her daughter. Many times my great grandmother would come into my grandmother's room and say "Sister, that woman was here today. I thought you were gonna tell her don't come back."

I can easily see how if he believes his wife is his sister he would pick up girls.

I respect and admire this woman.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
As to the question you posed, um, yes. I thought that the person was a good person but turns out she is a very hurtful and uncaring person. Sucks when you misjudge b/c you usually end up feeling like a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships