Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Well, we are talking in general terms, aren't we?
I always wondered why that's so prevalent here, but OK...

Quote:
After all, the idea that women in their thirties and forties are infertile or give birth to sick kids is also a gross generalization. Where I live, I see lots of mothers in their late thirties and older with healthy kids,...
OK...

Quote:
...but across the board, fertility drops after 35 and the risk of genetic abnormalities increases. Same with the level of energy. Yes, I know some very athletic and vivacious people in their fifties, but in general, a young man is likely to have more energy to deal with hyperactive toddlers than a middle-aged one.
Given that point, here's another to throw into the generalization pot - younger men, because they are younger, have less knowledge, ability and patience in raising children than older men. They make less money, so they can't provide as well. They're busy starting a career, so have little time for family.

If you're talking about dealing with hyperactive toddlers, which is better - a young guy with plenty of energy and a short fuse, or an older guy with less energy and tons of patience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
If you're talking about dealing with hyperactive toddlers, which is better - a young guy with plenty of energy and a short fuse, or an older guy with less energy and tons of patience?
Well, I guess in your example, a young guy would be better at playing with them, and an older guy would be better at handling tantrums.

As for countervailing arguments, I think they apply equally to both genders. Older women too, have more money, more experience and more patience.

Generally, though -- as a parent -- I think none of the experience you can acquire before having kids will help you be more patient and less impulsive as opposed to when you were younger. Kids try patience more than anyone else. Parenthood is a whole different ballgame. Not to mention the fact that in terms of physical demands and sleep deprivation, its comparable only to college and, perhaps, first years on the job (if it's a very demanding one).

Old 02-27-2010, 04:56 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Well, I guess in your example, a young guy would be better at playing with them, and an older guy would be better at handling tantrums.
Heh, heh - nice one! Maybe women should take two husbands at the same time...

Quote:
As for countervailing arguments, I think they apply equally to both genders. Older women too, have more money, more experience and more patience.
OK - agree.

Quote:
Generally, though -- as a parent -- I think none of the experience you can acquire before having kids will help you be more patient and less impulsive as opposed to when you were younger. Kids try patience more than anyone else. Parenthood is a whole different ballgame. Not to mention the fact that in terms of physical demands and sleep deprivation, its comparable only to college and, perhaps, first years on the job (if it's a very demanding one).
Tell me about it.

That's why you can always tell who are parents - the father has a perpetual look of puzzlement on his face, and the mother looks like an axe-murderer ready for a new victim.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Redisca wrote:
Quote:
My Mother was just barely 18 when I was born and she gave birth to my half brother in her 40's. My brother now has four children with his wife and they really have their hands full. They're great parents but I know it must be difficult at times. I've never had children which is a good thing because I would have sold them to slave traders but I can appreciate all of the effort it must take to raise a child. I think that a parent in their 40's is still quite capable of dealing with raising children and I saw my Mother and Step Father do a good job of it. That's probably about about as old as a person should be though if they want to have children. I know that women who are much older have given birth to children but that doesn't seem like such a good idea to me.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
And a lot of men like to "take care" of a woman--provide for her. If she is independent and can take care of herself on her own, what is his perceived value in a relationship with her?
Seems to me that most men anymore don't want a women they think they'll have to "take care of". They WANT them to be independent, have good jobs, bring home good money AND take care of any home/kids they establish. I was married to a guy like that and one of his complaints was "You don't act like you need me". Good grief....

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Men are waking up these days to how slutty women have become. If it wasn't for loose moral standards and easy access to vaginas this whole hookup culture wouldn't exist as widely as it does today.
We went into a bar on Saturday. It was a local pickup joint - loud and just not for me so I left. My friends who remained got to know the girls who were partying in advance of one ot them getting married. They were having a good time and were loud and not reserved whatsoever.

The next day my friend told me that one girl bragged that she "gave the best head in Duchess". I checked it out on Google maps and she might know that for a fact because it is a small town of 6 by 4 blocks!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM

622 posts, read 1,279,811 times
Quote:
The "no good men" syndrome is women pricing themselves out of the market in two ways:

A) They spend their youth "having fun" and focusing on career. By the time they're looking to settle down they've squandered their sexual market value from being the proverbial village bicycle. No many wants that unless he's looking for a quick lay. Forr having kids men want women who are as chaste as possible. Virgins would be the ideal because they have no other frame of reference and lack a desire to seek out something better. In other words, the sluttier a woman was in her youth, the less trustworthy she'll be perceived when it comes to paternity and her ability to stick by a man. And it turns out our instincts are right--studies have found solid link between women who had a plethora of sexual partners in their youth, and marital dissatisfaction.

Men are waking up these days to how slutty women have become. If it wasn't for loose moral standards and easy access to vaginas this whole hookup culture wouldn't exist as widely as it does today.

B) Women are innately hypergamous. The higher up the food chain a woman goes, the fewer men there are above her to marry up to. Women marrying down is about as common as older women settling down with much younger men. It does happen, albeit rarely. And this aspect is going to get worse before it gets better as fewer and fewer men even find parity with women. For every 100 men that get a college degree at 22, 185 women do the same. Women are outstripping men in college educations big time and the job markets will soon reflect that. What highly successful women are facing today the average college graduates will be facing tomorrow in this regard.

I have to agree totally. Its not an issue of sin. Its just that I dont want the town bar hoe. Its not ok for men to do it anymore than women. I think its just that men care more about it than women do on average. It also has nothing to do not measuring up.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But--what makes a man of a lower social standing, income, or education level not "good"? That is the question they need to ask. What's wrong with starting a relationship with a guy because he's a decent guy?
If she doesn't impress her girlfriends, she's a loser.

I'm decent so I guess that I wouldn't want to do that to a woman!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far to place blame on either gender. It's more to do with basic human nature. Men and women are different and what triggers desire is not the same in the genders. Give this a read. It's a great insight on the topic of hypergamy which a lot of people probably haven't even heard of before.
Women on this site hate to have this pointed out. They just believe that what they want is actually normal. They over rate themselves and under rate men.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
If she doesn't impress her girlfriends, she's a loser.

I'm decent so I guess that I wouldn't want to do that to a woman!

You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships