Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If someone doesn't want to shake hands, I'll probably think "germaphobe." That's a good way to decline a handshake, by the way: tell the person you are getting over illness.
I guess they can think that. I just don't like to be touched--or to touch other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
SubaruFiend wrote:
Quote:
I'm a chick........

I once had another chick shake my hand SO firmly it HURT.......
Did she wear combat boots and have one of those wallets the truckers use with a little chain instead of a purse?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
A firm grip, and look in the eye.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
There's like an unspoken point system.

You're reaching for the handshake and they grip your hand before you're all the way into the grab, catching you about halfway -- it's like you lost half a point on some cosmic scale.

They have the weak grip that makes you want to shake your own hand around as though trying to dislodge goo -- they were already in negative points but you nearly lost a point through letting it rattle you.

The guys who actually TURN their hand slightly when you shake, as though they want you to KISS it, their grips watery and weak. Do you halfway freeze for just an instant, or do you muster on through? Another half point hangs in the balance.

Your knuckles pop when the other guy squeezes, even though he didn't squeeze that hard. Argh, half a point!

Of course this is all facetious but you KNOW what I'm talking about.
I'm the knuckle popper as I have 17" forearms 'cause I eats me spinach!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
... I swear the next guy that grabs my fingers on the way in and squeezes is gonna get KTFO
My dad used to do that to me. It got to be like a contest (to me) to beat him with the squeeze. I never could.

I was a wrestler in high school, and before each dual meet and at the beginning of each match we had to shake hands with our opponents. Our coach (a very good one, BTW) instructed us to give a limp handshake and look away, like the opponent meant nothing to us -- like he wasn't deserving of even meeting us. It was intended to give us a psychological advantage.

I think he had a point; a weak handshake can be a bit of a putdown. I remember having a few hangers-on at major tournaments -- guys I'd beaten or was scheduled to wrestle who followed me around like lost puppies and acted like they wanted to become friends. I never respected them much. It was the ones who acted aloof that worried me.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,538 times
The limp ones are the worst.

What are we talking about again?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:12 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
The limp ones are the worst.

What are we talking about again?
Tried to rep again...*sigh*

Old 02-27-2010, 05:40 PM

664 posts, read 773,496 times
Gosh, who cares. It's a freaking handshake. Also, I'm one of the ones who would just stare at you. I'm not grabbing some strangers hand.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:38 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
I myself like a firm handshake, just like my hugs...
I think some people are phobic about touching other people.
I still like to give, and receive, a firm handshake. (But not a crusher! )

Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,584 times
I work with the public and shake hands all the time.
I don't really put too much thought into it and I can remember only 2 handshakes-

One a man gave me a bone crusher, I wanted to punch him and the other was the limp noodle it was gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships