Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,653,867 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know any 'getting over love' or 'getting over heartache' quotes, sayings or songs that have helped you? Can you list whatever of the aforementioned has ever helped you into a next step of healing? (I have no time for reading a book)

I may seem a tinge on edge or a bit of a (insert preferred word here) today and it's sort of because I am kinda really buggin' and rather emotional inside my heart of hearts. Feel hurt, angry, sad, all that blah blah stuff. It's been sneaking up on me since last night and it's getting thicker. As much of a (bleep and a bleep) my ex-husband is. . I am getting those pangs and I am not liking it at all ( you know the ones, "I still love him boo hoo but he was such an @ss - but but but"...blah blah) and I am not feeling comfortable. Losing my grip. I don't know, maybe I need it in my face right now as a reminder what he did to me and all the things he had put me through. But I need something to grab onto.

Quotes?
Songs?
Anything?
Bashing him? (Feel free)
ANYTHING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 02:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
-Oscar Wilde

Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 PM

182 posts, read 647,370 times
A break up is like a broken mirror. It is better to leave it broken than hurt yourself to fix it.

I just broke up with someone and the last thing she said to me was “You’ll never find anyone like me again!” I’m thinking, “I should hope not! If I don’t want you, why would I want someone like you?"

'A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:03 PM

These are good, please keep them coming.

"“I should hope not! If I don’t want you, why would I want someone like you?"

I like that. That is good.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Think of everything about him that you really didnt like. Maybe you have never admitted them to yourself - when you're in love you dont see them or you accept them because "they're him." Focus only on those things.

Daydream of revenge plots.

Plenty of fish in the sea.

DO NOT give in to the temptation to get back in contact with him - you'll be stronger in a few minutes, just ride it out. Get up, go for a walk (not a drive), do anything to put your mind on something else. It's like stopping smoking - in fact your first post sounds just like a nicotine fit

Old 12-29-2008, 03:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
-Oscar Wilde
That's a good one! I love Oscar Wilde.

Jeep, I think people who recommend writing a diary have a good point. I was planning to at some point when things were fresh and never got to it. I believe it's helpful because when time goes by many of us (dont' know if all) tend to forget the bad things and might put on the rose-colored glasses, remember selectively the best, and start having second thoughts and regrets.

My e-mails are sort of a diary. I keep them for years. Sometimes when I get into one of those moods I go back to read some.

I can offer this story:

Who Knows? The Farmer's Son:
Fortune or Misfortune?

One day in late summer, an old farmer was working in his field with his old sick horse. The farmer felt compassion for the horse and desired to lift its burden. So he left his horse loose to go the mountains and live out the rest of its life.

Soon after, neighbors from the nearby village visited, offering their condolences and said, "What a shame. Now your only horse is gone. How unfortunate you are!. You must be very sad. How will you live, work the land, and prosper?" The farmer replied: "Who knows? We shall see".

Two days later the old horse came back now rejuvenated after meandering in the mountainsides while eating the wild grasses. He came back with twelve new younger and healthy horses which followed the old horse into the corral.

Word got out in the village of the old farmer's good fortune and it wasn't long before people stopped by to congratulate the farmer on his good luck. "How fortunate you are!" they exclaimed. You must be very happy!" Again, the farmer softly said, "Who knows? We shall see."

At daybreak on the next morning, the farmer's only son set off to attempt to train the new wild horses, but the farmer's son was thrown to the ground and broke his leg. One by one villagers arrived during the day to bemoan the farmer's latest misfortune. "Oh, what a tragedy! Your son won't be able to help you farm with a broken leg. You'll have to do all the work yourself, How will you survive? You must be very sad". they said. Calmly going about his usual business the farmer answered, "Who knows? We shall see"

Several days later a war broke out. The Emperor's men arrived in the village demanding that young men come with them to be conscripted into the Emperor's army. As it happened the farmer's son was deemed unfit because of his broken leg. "What very good fortune you have!!" the villagers exclaimed as their own young sons were marched away. "You must be very happy." "Who knows? We shall see!", replied the old farmer as he headed off to work his field alone.

As time went on the broken leg healed but the son was left with a slight limp. Again the neighbors came to pay their condolences. "Oh what bad luck. Too bad for you"! But the old farmer simply replied; "Who knows? We shall see."

As it turned out the other young village boys had died in the war and the old farmer and his son were the only able bodied men capable of working the village lands. The old farmer became wealthy and was very generous to the villagers. They said: "Oh how fortunate we are, you must be very happy", to which the old farmer replied, "Who knows? We shall see!"

Farmers Son: A wisdom Tale

Old 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM

182 posts, read 647,370 times
Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.

If only one could tell true love from false love as one can tell mushrooms from toadstools.

Can you imagine a world without men? No crime and lots of happy, fat women.

The supply of good women far exceeds that of the men who deserve them.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:27 PM

The GOOD thing is that he is stuck in prison for the next almost 4 years. Contact with him on my end has not been considered at all.

Did I mention that per my myspace visitor tracker, he has his cousin stalking me weekly (sometimes 2-3x a week) on my myspace page. I don't get it. Even had one of the teen nephews try to contact my son on AIM 6 weeks ago and my son did not respond at all. My son had not seen or talked to this cousin in almost a year. My son said he was suspicious and canceled the IM out. But no, I will not be making any contact with him whatsoever. My son wants nothing to do with him as well.

The last correspondence he had from me was in hmmmm late August or September I think? Right after the divorce. Sent it into the prison to him and I did not receive a response back - so I am clueless as to why he is having people "watch" me through a private myspace page that you cannot see into. I see the visits to the exterior of my page through my tracker, they just cannot see in. But I am not canceling my myspace with oodles of family and friends on it. I rather be aware that I am being checked up on than not know. It is perplexing more than anything why he would want me watched at all. Don't get it.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
There was a farmer who watched one of his horses accidentally fall down an old well.

The farmer looked down the old well and thought..."I don't use the well anymore and the horse was old too so I will just bury the horse in the well.

The horse meanwhile was still alive.

As the farmer began to put shovel full after shovel full of dirt onto the horse he would shake each one off of him and step up.

Countless shovels full the horse began to make it up to the top of the well and he stepped out of the well... alive.

The moral is:

Whatever is thrown at you or put upon you... shake it off and step up. If not, you will let everything weigh on top of you and you will die.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Re, finding another man...

"I was looking for a man when I met you!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships