Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What is your suggestion?
Development and human overpopulation are more detrimental to wildlife populations than hunting. Managed hunting helps regulate populations. Revenue from managed hunting funds protected areas and food plots.
Which is why we have areas designated as protected from development. Revenue from hunting may go to preserve those areas, but that still doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
There has been a food chain on this Earth since it's been inhabited by plants and animals. Fortunately, at this time, man is on top of the food chain. Deer and turkeys aren't out hunting men for a nice thanksgiving dinner. Your comparison and assumtions on my logic are pathetic and far reaching. Your relevance on the subject is fading fast...

I'm still waiting to hear about your million dollar idea on controlling the deer population. Don't try and skate around that now...

Once again, your assumption on my logic makes no sense. And unless you're a vegetarian, feel free not to share any further on this subject.
Actually what's pathetic is your response. It sounds like you just can't handle someone challenging your bogus arguments. I'm not a vegetarian. I'm fine with eating animals or using them for medical research. Like you said, that's just part of the food chain. But killing them for sport and then trying to justify it by saying you're controlling the population. That's beyond pathetic. I doubt when hunters are out pointing their rifle at a deer, they're thinking "I'm keeping the roads safe from deer running out onto the road." As for providing an alternative for controlling the population, I'm not the one arguing for population control. You are. That means the burden is on you to come with something better than hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
He doesn't even have a suggestion, he's just working under the assumption that if he throws out 50 dumb comments, it will equal 1 good point.
No, your problem is you just can't come up with a good justification for hunting and you're clinging to the population control BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,526,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

Actually what's pathetic is your response. It sounds like you just can't handle someone challenging your bogus arguments. I'm not a vegetarian. I'm fine with eating animals or using them for medical research. Like you said, that's just part of the food chain. But killing them for sport and then trying to justify it by saying you're controlling the population. That's beyond pathetic. I doubt when hunters are out pointing their rifle at a deer, they're thinking "I'm keeping the roads safe from deer running out onto the road." As for providing an alternative for controlling the population, I'm not the one arguing for population control. You are. That means the burden is on you to come with something better than hunting.

No, your problem is you just can't come up with a good justification for hunting and you're clinging to the population control BS.
Denny, if you would have taken a moment of your day and actually read this entire thread, you would know where I stand on the issue. But since you decided to pick and choose which of my posts you would respond to, then that is in fact, YOUR problem.

Hunting is an excellent solution to the overpopulation of deer. MY exact statement was not simply hunting them for their anters. Hunters EAT the ****ing deer, man.

I never even eluded to the fact that hunting should be enjoyed for simply sport.

Now try and stay with us and stop picking fights.

And before I forget, you would have to be an absolute moron to think that hunting is somehow more inhumane than raising these animals on farms. Like I mentioned earlier and apparently you decided not to read, I've seen first hand how these animals are raised on farms. Enjoy eating them.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Which is why we have areas designated as protected from development. Revenue from hunting may go to preserve those areas, but that still doesn't make it right.
And you believe the animals stay in these ever shrinking areas. (Actually, they have special draw hunts to control the populations in these protected areas).

There is hardly a week goes by I dont have several deer jump out in the road in front of me or see them splattered on the interstate. I live in a rural area, I see them everyday in fields and pastures in yards in the city, even running down the middle of the hwy. There are two reasons for this first, managed hunting in my area some 50 years ago saved the populations here from starvation and extinction and second, a very high influx of people moving into the state and greedy developers and politicians accommodating them by clearing land for housing developments and shopping centers and new schools, etc.

As far as dealbreakers I cant understand how someone can make such a passionate distinction between hunting for sport and eating a steak from a cow held in a feed lot before going to the slaughter house where they are run thru a chute where a blade cuts their throat or performing experiments on live animals for medical or cosmetic research. So there is #2 on my list.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I don't like hunting myself but I have hunters in the family and I have eaten hunted meat and fowl. It's really not about "liking to kill", yes, they kill the animal, but that isn't the main reason people hunt. Not only does it provide food but it is a serious thing that takes some knowledge and skill to do. It does become a hobby, just as gun ownership and use can become a hobby. I don't like guns either btw. And it is entirely necessary despite what anyone thinks. It's not my lifestyle and I wouldn't enjoy the activity or discussion so I'm probably not going to be with a hunter either, but that's beside the point.

I'm sure there are some whack job hunters out there, but that's true of any group of people.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:08 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
My PD recently had a squad car smashed to pieces when a few deer ran into the side of it while stopped. The officer stopped to let a herd run across the road and while stopped some ran into the side. SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Since we now have a "hunting" thread, I thought I'd steer this one back on topic:

Quote:
What is one dealbreaker you have which is abit different from the norm?
I don't date guys with hairy legs. In fact, I don't date non-cyclists at all.

It helps weed out quite a few people, which I like. Too many choices confuse the plaidmom.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
My mom wants me to go out with her neighbor.

I have several issues with this.

1) She's just coming off a break up. Is she even healed?
2) She's a professional cyclist? I was an athlete...but come on...what do I have in common with a professional cyclist?
3) I think she hates me anyways. But I'm told she's just shy. Anyways...too shy is a dealbreaker.
4) I don't want to.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
My mom wants me to go out with her neighbor.

I have several issues with this.

1) She's just coming off a break up. Is she even healed?
2) She's a professional cyclist? I was an athlete...but come on...what do I have in common with a professional cyclist?
3) I think she hates me anyways. But I'm told she's just shy. Anyways...too shy is a dealbreaker.
4) I don't want to.
If you don't want to date her, I have male friends who DO!

Hook me up man!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times
H..orns.
O...dor of Brimstone.
E...yes totally black.
S...creams if around Garlic.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Since the OP asked for *one* dealbreaker that's outside the norm, I guess I'll say any gal that is hardcore anti-gun or anti-hunting (fishing) - that's my "unusual" deal-breaker.

DW does not hunt, but will fish, and certainly does not have any problem with me hunting - matter of fact she's encouraging me to go after Canada Geese next season.

Needless to say, it's very bad form to deliver game to one's SO that has not already been dressed, plucked, skinned, whatever. That ain't her job guys. Now if she will come out and help dress a bag of birds, well, I guess you got a keeper there then.

Some of the anti-hunting sentiment expressed is really out of touch with the reality of how wild animals, particularly game animals, live. And it's way out of touch with the reality of who actually pays for conservation (hunters).

I have referred people who don't understand the hunting culture to Jose Ortega Y Gassat's classic "Meditations on Hunting" before, I doubt anyone will bother to read - but he lays it out very clearly.

That said, yes I know that "slob hunters" exist, and they do all sorts of stupid and even barbaric things - I am not one of them, they are not what I am talking about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships