Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. When you're single and looking, you're open to the possibilities. But when you set your heart on that special someone you're no longer interested in pursuing 'others', no matter how great they might be.
Exactly.

I have no idea why I've been blessed with the buttons I have but I'm more than grateful for them. I guess the hard part is finding the one person beside yourself that knows how to operate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Exactly.

I have no idea why I've been blessed with the buttons I have but I'm more than grateful for them. I guess the hard part is finding the one person beside yourself that knows how to operate them.
It's called growing up

Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Ah well it's amazing what you're prepared to do when you have to Phil.
Oh, TELL me about it.

Quote:
I've rationalized it nicely and have no regrets...well other than it excempts me from organ donation AND I can think of folks I'd rather play with..meh, that's life I guess.
Could be worse - you could live in Arizona.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM

19 posts, read 23,178 times
It's interesting that the thread has 5 pages. And 95% of the replies have nothing to do with the original topic...

Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
It's called growing up
EEK!! Don't say that!!! Grown ups are no fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Oh, TELL me about it.

Could be worse - you could live in Arizona.
That's not likely to happen, although I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar06 View Post
It's interesting that the thread has 5 pages. And 95% of the replies have nothing to do with the original topic...
Sorry Quasar, it does actually have to do with the original topic, it's just that I made some comments that required clarification is all.

I think we're all in agreement about nice guys.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Okay, so few days ago, me and couple of friends (girls/boys) were talking and this subject came up.

Someone said to one of the girls what's the worst a girl could tell a guy? The reply: "He's a nice guy". Apparently, most of the people were on board with this except me.

IMO, there's a BIG difference between being a nice guy and not having confidence vs. being a nice guy and HAVING confidence. Also, don't mix up confidence with being shy (that's totally different). My argument is that it's human nature to not be around someone who is not "nice". So, as long as you're nice (not mother Teresa kind) and have confidence than that is a plus and would attract women.

Because, otherwise, if girls don't like "nice guys" than the opposite would be a D-Bag who seems like he has confidence. Which would be pretty stupid, imo.

Bottom line: It's FINE to be labeled as a nice guy as long as you have other things going on in life and have confidence.
Yes, I agree with you. However, the way American couples relate to one another has changed over the last 40 years, in that (say for a man), being honest, polite, and respectable would now be perceived as weak, dorky and old fashioned when compared to the contemporary "bad boy".

True story: About 3 weeks ago I was talking to a woman on the phone and she told me "i like it that you are nice, but so as long as you are not TOO NICE." She also said, she wants a man to "put her in her place when need be."

Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, I agree with you. However, the way American couples relate to one another has changed over the last 40 years, in that (say for a man), being honest, polite, and respectable would now be perceived as weak, dorky and old fashioned when compared to the contemporary "bad boy".
Not always and not by everyone.

Quote:
True story: About 3 weeks ago I was talking to a woman on the phone and she told me "i like it that you are nice, but so as long as you are not TOO NICE." She also said, she wants a man to "put her in her place when need be."
Ok, I kinda understand this. It's possible that she's not hoping to be downtrodden or abdicate her autonomy but perhaps more that's she wanting to make sure that a guy will stand up to her if she's being unreasonable or trying to have too much control? Does that make sense?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM

740 posts, read 1,232,810 times
Quote:
Okay, so few days ago, me and couple of friends (girls/boys) were talking and this subject came up.

Someone said to one of the girls what's the worst a girl could tell a guy? The reply: "He's a nice guy". Apparently, most of the people were on board with this except me.

IMO, there's a BIG difference between being a nice guy and not having confidence vs. being a nice guy and HAVING confidence. Also, don't mix up confidence with being shy (that's totally different). My argument is that it's human nature to not be around someone who is not "nice". So, as long as you're nice (not mother Teresa kind) and have confidence than that is a plus and would attract women.

Because, otherwise, if girls don't like "nice guys" than the opposite would be a D-Bag who seems like he has confidence. Which would be pretty stupid, imo.

Bottom line: It's FINE to be labeled as a nice guy as long as you have other things going on in life and have confidence.
Agreed. I think nice is good, but nice with a backbone, as in someone who stands his ground for something he believes in. I suppose that could be an aspect of confidence I'd certainly never be interested in someone who was not nice if the flip side is cruel, inconsiderate, a**holish (is that a word?), etc..

Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
That means we have a serious problem here.

C'mon, folks - get that last 5%!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Be nice now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships