Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, sometimes I recall spending 1/3 of my salary on stuff like this back in the days, but those were days spent under parents' roof and at parents' table... If the US teaches you one thing in life, it is to know your place in it!
Ah well I was working back then and not living at home and hadn't for almost 4 years, so my bills were my bills. $200 bucks was more than my weekly take home wage at the time. I had to lay-by the dress and pay it off over 6 weeks AND I paid for my 21st Birthday party as well. I think that cost me well over $1000. I was working two jobs, paying rent, barely sleeping and living it up LARGE as a single gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Ah well I was working back then and not living at home and hadn't for almost 4 years, so my bills were my bills. $200 bucks was more than my weekly take home wage at the time. I had to lay-by the dress and pay it off over 6 weeks AND I paid for my 21st Birthday party as well. I think that cost me well over $1000. I was working two jobs, paying rent, barely sleeping and living it up LARGE as a single gal.
My life was a lot more relaxed under my parents' wings. No contributions were required to the household. It wasn't an exception, either. Everybody was living like that.

Last edited by sierraAZ; 03-10-2010 at 08:10 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
My life was a lot more relaxed under my parents' wings. No contributions were required to the household. It wasn't an exception, either. Everybody was living like that.
Yes, I've spoken to a lot of people about that time and it does seem to have been very different in the US to here. Most of us couldn't get out of our parent's houses fast enough and into the wide world. Of course a lot of us then turned around and went back home again between adventures. Just different ways of living I suspect.

And you guys can't drink til you're 21 over there right? So living at home with your parents was it usual for curfews to be imposed? No boys in your bedroom, that kind of thing?

I'm just starting to think that the Aussie single life and the American single life might be different.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've spoken to a lot of people about that time and it does seem to have been very different in the US to here. Most of us couldn't get out of our parent's houses fast enough and into the wide world. Of course a lot of us then turned around and went back home again between adventures. Just different ways of living I suspect.

And you guys can't drink til you're 21 over there right? So living at home with your parents was it usual for curfews to be imposed? No boys in your bedroom, that kind of thing?

I'm just starting to think that the Aussie single life and the American single life might be different.
Oh, I didn't grow up in the US - THANK YOU, GOD!!!!!

But yes, one of the cons of living at home was "no boys in the bedroom"... Yeah, it was a bit uncomfortable getting home after Mom & Dad had gotten up, so I usually tried to do it before that. Kind of inconvenient alright... However, I was a student for 4 years away from home and that time was also sponsored by parents. As far as drinking, we started drinking whenever we felt like to. I was always given some beer or wine at home since I was little.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't grow up in the US - THANK YOU, GOD!!!!!

But yes, one of the cons of living at home was "no boys in the bedroom"... Yeah, it was a bit uncomfortable getting home after Mom & Dad had gotten up, so I usually tried to do it before that. Kind of inconvenient alright... However, I was a student for 4 years away from home and that time was also sponsored by parents. As far as drinking, we started drinking whenever we felt like to. I was always given some beer or wine at home since I was little.
Geeze! haha! You don't have to be THAT excited about it, do ya?

Yeah, my parents didn't really have that no boys in the bedroom rule. But then I wasn't really home with them from about age 14 onwards really....
I've never really had to sneak in. Well ok, maybe when I was 13 I'd sneak out my bedroom window, go roller skating and get caught coming back in... but most of my mid teenage years were spent in the bush and there was no sneaking in or out there AND when I finally moved into the town to board, well I guess I did sneaking in and out then BUT only to get past the landlady and it was a small country town so hardly the epitome of society in terms of getting into mischief. There was stuff all to do, day or night.
We were allowed a sip of beer or wine from an early age too and my nan would often make us a shandy heavy on the lemonade and a drop or two of beer.

I suppose this has got me wondering about single life now..........it will mean different things for different people depending on where they were.

Anyhoo I must head for bed.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, my parents didn't really have that no boys in the bedroom rule.
It wasn't a rule imposed by them; I wouldn't be comfortable doing it anyway. Even later in life, the only men who have slept in my parents' home were my husbands.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
It wasn't a rule imposed by them; I wouldn't be comfortable doing it anyway. Even later in life, the only men who have slept in my parents' home were my husbands.
Fair enough.

It's not something that's ever bothered me I guess, which is just as well seeing I'd STILL be waiting.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM

614 posts, read 1,376,043 times
Ok Question I seen something about a $2000.00 dress, whats a good amount to payt for a ring? I REALLY want to hear these stories!! lol...

Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Ok Question I seen something about a $2000.00 dress, whats a good amount to payt for a ring? I REALLY want to hear these stories!! lol...
My ex husband went traditional - two monthly salaries. In his case - AFTER taxes, not before. Thank God. I thought is was crazy expensive.

My dress was 'only' $ 200 though. And GORGEOUS!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
I personally did not want a highly expensive piece of jewellery on my finger. It would make me nervous to wear it, afraid I would lose it OR have my finger chopped off by robbers trying to get it. I object to the diamond industry anyway and didn't really want to be perpetuating that AND I didn't want him forking out great hoards of money buying me a ring when he doesn't wear jewellery so I couldn't reciprocate. What was important was that we found something we agreed on together.
I don't know how much he earns as it's really none of my business so I can't tell you how many weeks salary but I know it won't be a month's salary and frankly I'd not have accepted it if it was an extravagantly priced ring.

You know there are wedding dresses priced well and above $2,000. As far as I'm concerned that's the upper end of the scale for me but I know very well that wedding dresses can cost $10,000 even more. I couldn't ever feel comfortable spending that amount of money on an item of clothing, no matter how life changing and special the day I want to wear it for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships