Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So, if someone were sober for 10, 20, 30, 40 years, you'd still think that they were going to relapse at a moment's notice?
I said they could. My stepdad relapsed into alcoholism after five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
I just recently had a first date with a guy who revealed to me that he had some past addiction issues with several drugs (including hard ones). He said he had been to rehab and has his life together these days, but I think his dark past might be a bit too much for me. It sucks because I felt the chemistry was there (and it's NEVER there with the nice, non-drug using guys that I usually go out with. lol), and though I do believe people can change, I don't think I should knowingly get involved with someone with a drug past. Relationships are hard enough and I don't want a drug issue to potentially make things even harder.

Last edited by Amelie90; 02-20-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,176 times
I could have written this. My husband was older then myself when I meet him. He was very worldly and I was very naive. He was an heroin addict but wasn't when I meet him. A couple of years later, he started drinking and our marriage ended. We were always friends and he died about 15 years ago from his addiction. Luckily, my kids do not have any addiction problems.

What people don't realize is even though the addict might not be an addict anymore, if they have children, he can pass that gene down to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Absolutely not!

My first husband was a recovering heroin addict, he had quit quite a few years prior to us meeting. It never seemed to be a problem until probably around the 9th year of our relationship. He started hanging out with people who drank a lot and his 'addict genes' kicked back in and within 2 years he went from being a social drinker to an all out alcoholic. He drank every day for 2 and a half years before I had had enough and left him.

In retrospect I didn't see the warning signs that he had the potential to change his drug of addiction. I was young when we met and I had no experience of addiction in my family.

I worked in Methadone Treatment as an RN and I met many Counselors who were recovering addicts, so I know there are people who work at it and really do recover, but for me, once burned, twice shy.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I completely disagree with the statement that I either bolded or colored.
Addicts can be very manipulative; you're saying that all addicts, even those in recovery, are manipulative.
If an addict stole to support their habit, you're saying that they'll be a thief throughout their lives.

Your statement is entirely too broad. That makes it entirely incorrect.
Had you used the word "may" I could agree with you. But you didn't. You said with authority that all addicts have brain damage and never let go of behaviors.

I'm sure there would be studies to back up your assertions, otherwise, these statements are simply your opinion.
Sorry but I disagree with you. She's not saying they would be manipulative or go on stealing.

It's other traits that are very hard for an addict to break. The emotional, maturity,and personality levels are somewhat behind with their peers.

Addicts are comfortable being around dysfunction more so then most people.

They also seem to continue enabling some bad habits within their circle.

But again, it depends on their family structure while growing up and how long they were addicts.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
As mentioned, it depends on what for starters, and also depends on the person's willpower. I've seen a few people relapse, and relapse on different things. Some of them just thought they were hot ****, while another great friend of mine genuinely wanted to change and has been struggling and honestly trying. He has still relapsed, but his gf is still with him, because you can genuinely see he is trying hard. Another big thing is that what he does isn't good, but it doesn't turn him abusive or unable to cope. I still wish him the best, but I know it comes and goes when he wants to use.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,438 times
Quote:
It sucks because I felt the chemistry was there (and it's NEVER there with the nice, non-drug using guys that I usually go out with. lol),
That's exactly what happened to me with a guy I recently dated, who was in recovery!!! I haven't been excited about anyone else I've been out with lately. He was very positive and had great energy (not to mention that he was absolutely gorgeous), which I think had something to do with his 12-step program.

I grew up around addiction, so it's nothing new to me. I've never had an addiction, but I'm certainly no stranger to it. For me, part of the appeal of someone who'd had an addiction is that he would understand and not judge the chaos that I grew up with. But there is always that concern for relapse, which I can't overlook. Still, I know plenty of people who never looked back once they got sober.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times
Can't do it. Tried twice and both times the person relapsed by simply trading their addiction to another.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
That's exactly what happened to me with a guy I recently dated, who was in recovery!!! I haven't been excited about anyone else I've been out with lately. He was very positive and had great energy (not to mention that he was absolutely gorgeous), which I think had something to do with his 12-step program.
Yes, it's very unfortunate. It pains me to have to not see this guy again because it's rare that I actually like someone and he does seem to be doing well, but I have too much to lose to open myself up to that kind of situation. I've never done drugs myself or (knowingly) associated with anyone who has, and I'd just rather keep it that way. This situation has never come up before in my dating life, but now that it has, I think I'm going to have to make it a dealbreaker from now on.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
I used to be a heavy drinker while I was never an addict it took it's toll on me & those around me. It's a tough question what was said person addicted to? How long have they been clean, etc? I don't truly believe you can recover from some drugs. The people I've known who stopped doing one drug found something else to feed thier addiction.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,219 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships