Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:33 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times

Advertisements

Rugged's thread got me thinking about this.

How much communication do you want with your partner? As for me it's at least daily. If they are grouchy or busy that's fine...just shoot me quick info letting me know that. I don't do well with the silent treatment. (makes me feel rejected)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 PM

740 posts, read 1,233,048 times
Um, I am an odd ball. If it isn't to schedule a time for us to meet do not call me unless we are long distance for a time. An e-mail of random ramblings or cool things you want to share is ok as many times as you like. SMS is fine if it is "I will be late see you at ____ time". I hate talking on the phone if we live in the same area

Old 03-04-2010, 02:50 PM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
Um, I am an odd ball. If it isn't to schedule a time for us to meet do not call me unless we are long distance for a time. An e-mail of random ramblings or cool things you want to share is ok as many times as you like. SMS is fine if it is "I will be late see you at ____ time". I hate talking on the phone if we live in the same area
Im the same. Thats one thing that about my bf that drives me crazy. If he isnt working he will call 14 times a day (while Im at work) "I just ate breakfast and am going to pay such and such bill" or I at so and so's house or the latest gossip. When he is working its about 3 times a day. Once a day is enough.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Once, maybe twice a day is enough. I figure if you shoot your conversational wad on too many meaningless calls, texts, and emails, you've got nothing to talk about when you're actually together.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Rugged's thread got me thinking about this.

How much communication do you want with your partner? As for me it's at least daily. If they are grouchy or busy that's fine...just shoot me quick info letting me know that. I don't do well with the silent treatment. (makes me feel rejected)
Good question. I've actually been wondering the same thing, in light of Rugged's conundrum.

With my current BF, I totally appreciate even a quick e-msg once a day, just so I know he's thinking of me. I'll "show" my appreciation at a later time! I write him every day - sometimes a few paragraphs, sometimes a lengthy msg, sometimes only a few words that I know will get a "rise" out of him. Fun!

I think it just depends on how far along the relationship is in each case, and whether the partners feel the same way about each other. Too much communication too early in the relationship can definitely be smothering - that is, if it is unwanted. But if you're smitten with someone, why would you NOT appreciate at least a little reminder each day that he/she cares for you?

PS - We are both extremely busy with work and other commitments, so we don't talk on the phone daily. Couple times a week. Makes us treasure even more the time we do have together.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-04-2010 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 02:59 PM

740 posts, read 1,233,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im the same. Thats one thing that about my bf that drives me crazy. If he isnt working he will call 14 times a day (while Im at work) "I just ate breakfast and am going to pay such and such bill" or I at so and so's house or the latest gossip. When he is working its about 3 times a day. Once a day is enough.
I used to get the 1/2 hr messages on my phone from my ex about what he heard on NPR and his thoughts about it. Plus side is he did not call me at work. Downside, I had to listen and pay attention because there would be Q & A later. Boy was lucky we had the same interests or that would have been more annoying!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:03 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yeah, that is waaaaaay too much. That would turn me off.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:10 PM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Yeah, that is waaaaaay too much. That would turn me off.

And he wonders why I dont always answer my phone.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
I wouldn't mind an email once a day or a cellphone text or a call once in awhile. My boyfriend sends me emails here and there when he can, but usually he's busy at work.

But I've know women who call their boyfriends or husbands or mothers (!) constantly throughout the day. I can't imagine doing that. Unless there was some kind of natural disaster or someone was in the hospital. Or if I was stranded in the middle of nowhere.

There's nothing much for me to say to my boyfriend or my parents or a good friend if the day is going along as usual. Just get through it.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,857 times
Once every 24 hours is good enough. I don't like to talk at work so I don't want to be bothered unless it is an emergency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships