Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times

Advertisements

So I am reading this book. It talks about how men like to be respected by their wife/significant other and in turn he is able to love his wife. That women are naturally wired to love unconditionally and men are naturally wired to respect unconditionally. How women have to learn to respect unconditionally and men have to learn to love unconditionally.

My question for the guys is how does the woman (or SO) in your life show you that they respect you? Ladies- How does the man (or SO) in your life show you that they love you? Do you think the two go hand in hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,311 times
The single greatest sign of respect that a woman can give her man is to give her total support to a decision he makes that she does not agree with. And if it doesn't work out, to resist the urge to say: "I told you so."

Why is that so important?

Because it's easy to support something you agree with, that doesn't require any effort at all. But if you can support something that you don't agree with because you believe he has your best interests in mind and trust him. That's the ultimate in respect.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,745 times
Love and respect are earned in life.

A man, IMO, should demonstrate his love to his wife. Whether via kind treatment, not being abusive (in both a physical and emotional sense), etc.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
So I am reading this book. It talks about how men like to be respected by their wife/significant other and in turn he is able to love his wife. That women are naturally wired to love unconditionally and men are naturally wired to respect unconditionally. How women have to learn to respect unconditionally and men have to learn to love unconditionally.

My question for the guys is how does the woman (or SO) in your life show you that they respect you? Ladies- How does the man (or SO) in your life show you that they love you? Do you think the two go hand in hand?
I find that expectation to be pretty unreasonable. Love may be unconditional, but respect and relationships are not.

My guy shows me all the time, though we are not on the level that some others may be here. I think the two do go hand in hand as far as being IN love. I don't think you can stay that way with someone you don't respect.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,596 times
I dunno, I'm a chick and I'm pretty sure I like to be respected as much as any man likes it.

Yes, I think love and respect go hand in hand in a healthy relationship. From both ends.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
I am reading the same book. It also talks about how men and women communicate, and how to understand each other. It talks about the principal being ignored and the nasty cycle of round and round we go until things get so bad that it ruins a relationship.

It has revealed a lot about how I ended up where I am. It is an excellent book IMO.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
The single greatest sign of respect that a woman can give her man is to give her total support to a decision he makes that she does not agree with. And if it doesn't work out, to resist the urge to say: "I told you so."

Because it's easy to support something you agree with, that doesn't require any effort at all. But if you can support something that you don't agree with because you believe he has your best interests in mind and trust him. That's the ultimate in respect.
Thats something I learned about 6 years ago when my husband joined the military. I hated the thought of being a military wife, the lifestyle you name it. Now its a completely different story. I support him 100% because if he is not happy, aint no one happy in this house. lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I am reading the same book. It also talks about how men and women communicate, and how to understand each other. It talks about the principal being ignored and the nasty cycle of round and round we go until things get so bad that it ruins a relationship.

It has revealed a lot about how I ended up where I am. It is an excellent book IMO.
Its been reavealing alot to me about how I do talk to him and how I do disrespect him in the smallest ways. I would have never thought something so small means so much to him.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,941 times
Ha, my father has mentioned this love-and-respect cycle to me before.

I agree that women need love and men need respect. However, I am against giving unconditional respect to all people, especially as some of them deserve as much respect as a potato does. I can't sit back and let a guy - especially one I'm dating - make a ridiculous decision, watch it backfire on him, and not say a single thing about it. Sometimes you have to point out the giant red flags waving around. I do this because I care about him and don't want him to end up in a puddle of despair.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
It was something she told me several times. Its the little things. They do add up. If anything learn from my mistakes. Learn to communicate. Learn to treat each other with both love and respect. Yes men like respect.

Well meaning men try to say something and she takes it as something unloving. So she says something to disrespect him.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post

This man is on point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Ha, my father has mentioned this love-and-respect cycle to me before.

I agree that women need love and men need respect. However, I am against giving unconditional respect to all people, especially as some of them deserve as much respect as a potato does. I can't sit back and let a guy - especially one I'm dating - make a ridiculous decision, watch it backfire on him, and not say a single thing about it. Sometimes you have to point out the giant red flags waving around. I do this because I care about him and don't want him to end up in a puddle of despair.
It may not be clear at first to you but as time goes on and you see the benefits, you'll be singing a different tune.

Love and respect go hand in hand. You can't love someone you don't respect and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships