Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:12 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

Couple of years ago, my sister met and fell in love with a man who has diabetes. They have a good relationship, he accepted her with 3 children, has a child of his own and now they have a baby together.
She told me that when she started dating him, her close friend gave her slack for dating a guy with a health issue. Something in the lines of: "why do you wanna deal with this, you already have 3 children on your hand, you don't need to be worrying about this". I found this incredibly disheartening. If my sister listened to her girlfriend, she wouldn't be as happy as she is right now.

If you started dating someone and found out right off the bet that a man has some kind of health issue that he will have to live with for the rest of his life (such as diabetes), would you pursue the relationship anyway? Be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
Diabetes is not a big issue if properly controlled via diet, exercise, and medication.

She also shouldn't be listening to what others think on this matter. It is none of their business.

All in all, a non issue.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Couple of years ago, my sister met and fell in love with a man who has diabetes. They have a good relationship, he accepted her with 3 children, has a child of his own and now they have a baby together.
She told me that when she started dating him, her close friend gave her slack for dating a guy with a health issue. Something in the lines of: "why do you wanna deal with this, you already have 3 children on your hand, you don't need to be worrying about this". I found this incredibly disheartening. If my sister listened to her girlfriend, she wouldn't be as happy as she is right now.

If you started dating someone and found out right off the bet that a man has some kind of health issue that he will have to live with for the rest of his life (such as diabetes), would you pursue the relationship anyway? Be honest.
Another reason why I never listen to friends The only reason I keep the network is they feed my ego from time to time. Otherwise, they're of no use to me

There have been instances where I came close to listening. Then I shook myself off and woke out of "sleep". That friend discouraged it becoz she was speaking only for her selfish self

Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Quote:

I would not have a problem with it as long as the person was responsible about their situation. ie..taking meds, eating property to avoid any further complications with their health problem.

Someone in the advanced stages of cancer or some other terminal illness would be difficult because it would be so traumatic to get attached to someone who you know is going to die soon.

Good health is precious. It's often taken for granted.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Another reason why I never listen to friends The only reason I keep the network is they feed my ego from time to time. Otherwise, they're of no use to me

There have been instances where I came close to listening. Then I shook myself off and woke out of "sleep". That friend discouraged it becoz she was speaking only for her selfish self
At the end of the day, she didn't listen to her friend or anyone for that matter. Her friends whispering in her ear was a non-issue, because she had too much life experience to disregard what was told.

And you didn't answer my question.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
At the end of the day, she didn't listen to her friend or anyone for that matter. Her friends whispering in her ear was a non-issue, because she had too much life experience to disregard what was told.

And you didn't answer my question.
Illness is not an issue for me, as long as it's not AIDS or other forms of STD LMAO

Old 03-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I would not have a problem with it as long as the person was responsible about their situation. ie..taking meds, eating property to avoid any further complications with their health problem.

Someone in the advanced stages of cancer or some other terminal illness would be difficult because it would be so traumatic to get attached to someone who you know is going to die soon.

Good health is precious. It's often taken for granted.

Yes, I agree in regards to advanced stages of cancer.

I would also have no problems pursuing a relationship with someone who has an incurable but treatable and manageable illness (hepatitis comes to mind), as long as they take good care of themselves and keeping up with all the appropriate matters.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:

Sounds like your sisters friends are some classless broads.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
I would date someone with a "pre-existing condition," as it were, and I'd stick by someone who developed a condition through no fault of his own while we were together (as long as I loved him, that is). But I would not date someone who, by smoking, living a sedentary lifestyle, eating poorly, and not taking care of himself, is asking to get sick. That's not the lifestyle I lead, and in all honesty, if you don't love yourself enough to take care of yourself now, why should someone else love you enough to accept the possibility of having to take care of you later?

Last edited by Yzette; 03-06-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Run-ons, ye gods.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Illness can strike anyone, at any time. I know -- I have Lupus, diagnosed 6 years ago in the prime of my life. Until my docs found the right medications that worked for me, I was a mess and wouldn't even think of dating. (Believe it or not, there are always those rescuer types who "need to be needed" and will still pursue a person who has a health crisis.) But now that everything is much more stable and I know how to manage it, I'm starting to date again. You can't tell from looking at me that I've got anything wrong but if a relationship seems to be forming, then I do disclose.

So, I wouldn't have a problem at all dating someone with a health issue, as long as they are well-educated about it and know what they need to do, take good care of themselves, and follow doctor's orders. I won't date someone who doesn't take care of himself, whether he's been diagnosed with a health problem or not, unless he is working on changing his habits and there's a very good reason for a lapse. I know how precious life and well-being are and I couldn't respect someone who has a blatant disregard for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships