Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, my room mate told me (at 630 in the morning) that her boyfriend wanted to go to this place I was going to have my taxes done. It's operated about three or four hours on Thursday and Friday, and they don't charge anything to file them. She told me he wanted to go around nine.

Okay, I said, sounds good, let's do that. Then I went in my room, turned on the computer, did a few things....and crashed. Fell asleep, still wearing my clothes. I woke up around noon, came outside, and see he's asleep on the living room sofa.

She said she tried to wake me, stood at my door and called my name. Honestly, she should know better. I can have an alarm blaring in here, and still not wake up. The door was unlocked, I was expecting to have to leave, and she could have come in and woke me up. Now we're BOTH going to have to wait another week to get it done.

Okay, rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 05:35 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Do you always rely on others to get you up?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:36 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
You took my words....

Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM

When it's for something THEY want to do, sure. I could have gone a long time ago, but I'm doing this as a favor to the guy.

Let's say you want to go to the library, and I want to go to the library sometime this week, and you ask if we could make the trip AT THE SAME TIME. If I agree to it, then I'm going to be waiting for you to decide just when you'd like to go. If I need to show you where it's at, then you need to get in touch with me...and plan on getting there sometime before it closes. So if we agree to go at a certain time, and you have the ability to get in touch with me, and don't do it, then that's on you, not me.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
No--usually I don't have anywhere I HAVE to be. If I'm going to make an appointment with someone, I usually set it for as late in the afternoon as I can manage. I work overnights, so it's normal for me to sleep during the day. If you want me to do something in the morning, then you're asking for something special.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When it's for something THEY want to do, sure. I could have gone a long time ago, but I'm doing this as a favor to the guy.
You said she told you this at 6:30 in the morning. If I am understanding correctly, this is two and a half hours before you were to go. If this is the case, he didn't hold you back from doing it a long time ago.

Regardless, you were both getting something out of this and you agreed to do it. Get yourself up or don't agree to go.

Quote:
Let's say you want to go to the library, and I want to go to the library sometime this week, and you ask if we could make the trip AT THE SAME TIME. If I agree to it, then I'm going to be waiting for you to decide just when you'd like to go.
Makes sense, and you did agree to the time.

Quote:
If I need to show you where it's at, then you need to get in touch with me...and plan on getting there sometime before it closes. So if we agree to go at a certain time, and you have the ability to get in touch with me, and don't do it, then that's on you, not me.
I'm not saying it is on you. I'm saying it is not on him that you overslept. It certainly isn't your roommate's fault.

Quote:
No--usually I don't have anywhere I HAVE to be. If I'm going to make an appointment with someone, I usually set it for as late in the afternoon as I can manage. I work overnights, so it's normal for me to sleep during the day. If you want me to do something in the morning, then you're asking for something special.
Okay, does this something special send some telepathic message that you were going to fall asleep they were to wake you up? You didn't say anything about asking them to wake you.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:05 PM

If I was asleep when the other person got here, then wouldn't I have to be woken up before we both could go?

I could have gone the day before, but he's been dragging his feet about getting his stuff together for a few weeks now.

Consider this: let's say there's a medieval fair in town. And it's going to be around for a month or so, on the weekends only. You say you want to go sometime when I bring it up to you the first time. Sometime, undefined. First weekend goes by, you don't say anything about going. Second weekend goes by, still nothing. Third weekend, you say let's go Sunday. Sunday comes, and you make no effort to get in touch with me at all. Now, when the next weekend rolls around, I'm not going to care anymore than you said you wanted to go, I'll just go without you. I COULD have gone that very first weekend--but I was waiting on you. You chose not to get in touch with me, so it's not my fault if you didn't go.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:34 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:

Let's say you want to go to the library, and I want to go to the library sometime this week, and you ask if we could make the trip AT THE SAME TIME. If I agree to it, then I'm going to be waiting for you to decide just when you'd like to go. If I need to show you where it's at, then you need to get in touch with me...and plan on getting there sometime before it closes. So if we agree to go at a certain time, and you have the ability to get in touch with me, and don't do it, then that's on you, not me.
I've been having these kinds of experiences consistently ever since I relocated to this area... people here call it "flaking"- when they give their word about something, they brush it off as unimportant... sometimes it's just annoying and inconvenient, & sometimes it goes way beyond inconvenient.
sorry I don't have any input, other than letting you know you're not unique.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Oh my, too funny! After a long day's night I needed a good chuckle and this is it. Thanks TKramar!

Let me think now. You're sharing an apartment with a woman with whom you used to have an intimate relationship but you're now just room-mates albeit sharing the same apartment. She's disabled and on SS, it's a two bedroom apartment with a full kitchen but because you cherish solitude you don't utilize the kitchen but have a microwave and and a refrigerator in your room. You have a problem with sunlight (not, according to your posts due to any medical condition but more psychosocial), you work the night shift and only go out once in a while to do some karaoke. You were married a long time ago but then your wife just disappeared and you've never bothered to file for divorce because you see no need to do so. Life goes on.

So now this ex-lover who shares at least some space with you has a boyfriend who sleeps over and this whole drama ensues about an alarm or wake-up call which inspires you to create a thread on the subject?

I'm guessing that you have so little disruption in your basically hermit existence that anything outside your very narrow parameters would upset you. You're an interesting anomaly.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Well I am impressed with how sound a sleeper the OP is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships