Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:24 AM

142 posts, read 506,791 times

Advertisements

Don't settle for the one you can live with - Find the one you can't live without.

I'm 49 and in a 2-month relationship with a man who is a decent, kind man. However, there's not much there for me in the way of physical attraction. He's a great kisser, and it does get my engine revving. However, he dresses sloppy (I've never seen him in anything other than an old t-shirt, khakis, and black tennis shoes), his body type is not attractive to me, and the sex leaves a lot to be desired.

He wants to move forward and I am pretty sure he's on the verge of telling me that he loves me. I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. Should I work past the physical drawbacks since we connect emotionally? I'm certainly no beauty queen myself, and he surely looks past that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 AM

15,715 posts, read 9,582,735 times
Why do you say 1.) deciding if I should settle and 2.) I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. As if those are the only two choices. You owe it to yourself as well as this "kind, decent man" to be true to the relationship. If you're not feeling it, let him know and move on. It's the type of thing a "kind, decent woman" would do. Don't settle for less.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 09-26-2013 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Forgot the n't at first.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,774,976 times
Maybe I'll have a different view of this when I'm 49 but I probably wouldn't date a woman who "dresses sloppy" all the time and the sex wasn't good.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:25 AM

415 posts, read 601,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
Don't settle for the one you can live with - Find the one you can't live without.

I'm 49 and in a 2-month relationship with a man who is a decent, kind man. However, there's not much there for me in the way of physical attraction. He's a great kisser, and it does get my engine revving. However, he dresses sloppy (I've never seen him in anything other than an old t-shirt, khakis, and black tennis shoes), his body type is not attractive to me, and the sex leaves a lot to be desired.

He wants to move forward and I am pretty sure he's on the verge of telling me that he loves me. I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. Should I work past the physical drawbacks since we connect emotionally? I'm certainly no beauty queen myself, and he surely looks past that.
He dresses sloppy, his body type is not attractive to you, and the sex leaves a lot to be desired. Those are your three problems.

Problem 1: have you asked him to dress better? Tell him you'd like to see him dress better.
Problem 2: if he got into shape, would you like his body type? Or is it height-related?
Problem 3: have you talked to him about improving sex? People seem to be unable to talk to their significant other about improving sex. Don't be one of those people. If you want a better sex life, you need to talk about it. It won't improve if you don't talk about it.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:40 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,174,667 times
Quote:

The reality is a lot of women who are not married by your age end up settling.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 AM

177 posts, read 366,646 times
Settling now is setting yourself up for an unhappy future. You shouldn't go into a relationship with someone if you feel you are settling. Work on yourself and be ready when the right one comes along.

On the other side, I would not want someone to just settle for me either. I'd rather be alone than have a man be with me just because he doesn't want to be alone.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 AM

36,794 posts, read 31,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The reality is a lot of women who are not married by your age end up settling.

I'm just a few years older and don't give a rats behind if I marry again or ever have a SO.

OP, there is nothing wrong with being alone as long as you are not lonely. Do not settle. The emotional connection will not be enough for a strong marriage. What good is revving your engine if all you can do is idle. The lack of physical attraction and happy ending will grow into resentment in time. If you are going to make that kind of commitment do it because you love the whole package.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM

20,777 posts, read 20,073,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redallen View Post
Settling now is setting yourself up for an unhappy future. You shouldn't go into a relationship with someone if you feel you are settling. Work on yourself and be ready when the right one comes along.

On the other side, I would not want someone to just settle for me either. I'd rather be alone than have a man be with me just because he doesn't want to be alone.
So well said!

I settled and convinced myself it can work.

It didn't.

Don't make the same mistake.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM

142 posts, read 506,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
He dresses sloppy, his body type is not attractive to you, and the sex leaves a lot to be desired. Those are your three problems.

Problem 1: have you asked him to dress better? Tell him you'd like to see him dress better.
Problem 2: if he got into shape, would you like his body type? Or is it height-related?
Problem 3: have you talked to him about improving sex? People seem to be unable to talk to their significant other about improving sex. Don't be one of those people. If you want a better sex life, you need to talk about it. It won't improve if you don't talk about it.

I hate to try to "change" someone. I have asked him if he wears anything other than khaki's. That should have been a hint. If he got into shape, yes, he would be attractive to me. But I can't count on him doing that. I have attempted to make plans with him to hike, bike, etc., but it never seems to happen, even though he says he wants to. I am going to push it this weekend and see if that helps. I think the sex will improve with time (I hope). I am very sexual, and he's not so much. That's a concern for me.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 AM

15,715 posts, read 9,582,735 times
Quote:
I hate to try to "change" someone. I have asked him if he wears anything other than khaki's. That should have been a hint. If he got into shape, yes, he would be attractive to me. But I can't count on him doing that. I have attempted to make plans with him to hike, bike, etc., but it never seems to happen, even though he says he wants to. I am going to push it this weekend and see if that helps. I think the sex will improve with time (I hope). I am very sexual, and he's not so much. That's a concern for me.
He's a dude. He's not atuned to hints. If you have something to say, say it. We dudes work better like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships