Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,744 times

Advertisements

Hello
I have an issue My boyfriend soon to be my husband is about to be layed off from his jobs and he pays child support for his 11yr old son who he never gets to see. and now a days it is so hard to get another job with every one being layed off and all. i want to know is there any way that i can pay his child support for him untill he gets back on his feet. we have a daughter together shes 8months old and i dont want her to not have a father because hes gone to jail because he lost his job and is having a heard time getting another.
Can anyone who know the law tell me how can i help him pay it please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveU123 View Post
Hello
I have an issue My boyfriend soon to be my husband is about to be layed off from his jobs and he pays child support for his 11yr old son who he never gets to see. and now a days it is so hard to get another job with every one being layed off and all. i want to know is there any way that i can pay his child support for him untill he gets back on his feet. we have a daughter together shes 8months old and i dont want her to not have a father because hes gone to jail because he lost his job and is having a heard time getting another.
My first question is....where abouts do you live?

If you feel the need to pay his child support for his other son, then thats your decision. I don`t think it will have anything to do with him going to jail and your young daughter not having a Daddy around, but that my opinion.
Money is money, but please do not feel obligated to pay for his bills, slack, etc...

Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Hello
Definitely check with a lawyer on this one. Common sense says, sure. But common sense also says that family court lacks common sense. I'd be careful and check on this...you don't need anything bad come out of a nice gesture.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Quote:
Hello

Sure you can....anyone can. The payment center that collects the payment doesn't care who/where the money comes from. His mom can pay it, his dad...the IRS tax refund...doesn't matter.

Since most places are electronically run, as in they have websites you can pay by credit/debit cards, thru checking drafts, etc... see if they have one and just pay thru your checking account...pay a few months in advance if you want...that way the child won't go without and the dad won't ever be behind.

(that's HOW to do it...now 'should you do it' is another thing)

Old 03-24-2010, 05:49 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Of course you can pay it. They don't care who writes the check, as long as it is on time. Make sure to put his case number on the check and send the stub with it.

Technically, my husband has never paid his child support. He does not have a checking account. Before we got married he gave cash to his mother and she wrote the check, now I write them.

If your fiancee does lose his job and is not able to find work he can petition the court for a reduction. Sometimes they grant one and sometimes they don't.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:51 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
While I believe no one would care who makes the payment, whether it's your checkbook or his, I would still talk to someone with some knowledge about whether or not it would be considered as income to him first then a payment - this is more of an accounting question because it's regarding taxes. Whether it is a taxable amount to him from you will depend on a number of things such as the amount and if it's something he would have to declare as income or whether that can be sidestepped by you directly paying the mother from your own checkbook. If you have a joint account the funds can be dispersed from there shouldn't be any issue - but just run it past an accountant because, depending on the amount and how you do it, it could affect his unemployment benefit amount.

Additionally, the amount of child support can change relative to his income - which is another reason why you may want to solicit advice from someone in your local area regarding the system.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,397 times
I don't know if this applies in all states, but in Mass. they revoke your license once you amount of child support owed gets to a certain amount. I don't think they will throw him in jail, I think that is only for people who owe outrageous amounts such as 30k. If he is being laid off, then he can most likely file for unemployment. If he gets unemployment, the child support will be deducted from that, so he should not have to worry about paying it.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Child support is based on the incomes of the parents minus certain allowable expenses like the support of other children. If your b/f gets laid off and as a result his income is decreased he should file a petition to modify the existing order immediately due to changes in his income. U don't need a lawyer for that. He can file the appropriate paperwork with the Court himself. The Court should have a self-service center where u can purchase a Child Support Modification packet. Stationary and legal form stores are other options too for forms. I think it is nice of u to want to pay his child support, but clearly seeking a modification is a superior options. There is nothing to prevent u legally from making his child support payments. Just be aware u can ask the court to retro a modification going back to the actual day his income changed. Good luck

Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Hello
Don't know how your state is, however if he has proof from his work, and they or he notifies Domestic Relations he shouldn't go to jail. He should have a case worker too. He should contact him or her about child support payments. If anything they will just add on to what he owes until he gets another job. And because of taxes and such when he gets a new job they can only take a minimum out. He will pay longer though. Go to the website of the court where he was ordered to pay. Should be a lot of info on there.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships