Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:11 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
You need to ask yourself the real reason why you are drawn to him.

If its:

a) I want to be his rescuer

and/or

b) I don't want to be lonely and he loves me

Those are not good reasons to marry him. Don't fall into the co-dependent trap.
If neither are good reasons, what's the point in finding the real reason?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
There are bipolar people in my family and I'm convinced that my mother was. It is very scary, even when they're on their routine (meds). And when you're faced with someone who refuses to take responsibility by taking their meds faithfully, they not only endanger themselves but they zap the energy right out of their loved ones.

There is something else to consider that wasn't mentioned in here yet: If you married this guy you could count on at least one of your children inheriting this disorder. It's ugly. I know, I have two nephews who are bipolar and they have family support, but it takes a LOT of work.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,585 times
I know, it sucks because he is perfect apart from his mental illness.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,942 times
If his meds make him a zombie he should have them adjusted. It sometimes takes a while to find the right balance but it can be done. I had a client who had bipolar and paranoid schizophrenia and if she didn't tell you, you wouldn't know. If he constantly goes off his meds, that's a major problem. I don't advocate meds for psychological disorders but bipolar disorder is definitely chemical and there is no other way to control it.

A lot of people think that the manic phases are the bad ones but the other side of the pendulum can be just as scary. I hope you are strong enough to be friends with himm. A lot of people with psychological problem have a really hard keeping friends beause people don't understand and are put off by the behaviors. Unfortunately, until there is a correct dosage of meds, that's par for the course.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
If his meds make him a zombie he should have them adjusted. It sometimes takes a while to find the right balance but it can be done. I had a client who had bipolar and paranoid schizophrenia and if she didn't tell you, you wouldn't know. If he constantly goes off his meds, that's a major problem. I don't advocate meds for psychological disorders but bipolar disorder is definitely chemical and there is no other way to control it.

A lot of people think that the manic phases are the bad ones but the other side of the pendulum can be just as scary. I hope you are strong enough to be friends with himm. A lot of people with psychological problem have a really hard keeping friends beause people don't understand and are put off by the behaviors. Unfortunately, until there is a correct dosage of meds, that's par for the course.
I don't have a problem being friends with him and who knows maybe down the line i'll become more comfortable pursuing a relationship with him.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 PM

720 posts, read 1,407,953 times
I would say end it.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
A person can't be perfect but.... First, no one is perfect. Second, you've already broken up once, you are answering your own question. No, you should not get back with him. In my line of work, I'm exposed to patients who often are bi-polar. There are more times than not they have weeks even months of excellent behavior and medication compliance but there are days they convince themselves there is nothing wrong, they go off their meds and things can sometimes turn ugly so while you are second guessing yourself now, just remember that there is NO perfect and yes, there will be behavior issues.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
He's perfect ... except for when you fear for your life? That's a really big "except."

Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I dated this guy who was perfect, In spite of the fact that he was bipolar. he proposed to me last christmas, and I said no because I'm not sure if I can deal with the symptoms that go along with this disorder. This is a serious disorder and even properly medicated people can have severe episodes. It would sometimes get to a point where I would be afraid for my life; not to mention my own sanity. I feel torn because there would be weeks when he would be perfectly normal and I am still in love with him.
There are lots of guys who are not bipolar.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Didn't you say your a med school student?
Have had a couple bipolar ppl in my life, they need a lot of monitoring on the meds
for levels they can tolerate, sometimes means hospitalization for observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I dated this guy who was perfect, In spite of the fact that he was bipolar. he proposed to me last christmas, and I said no because I'm not sure if I can deal with the symptoms that go along with this disorder. This is a serious disorder and even properly medicated people can have severe episodes. It would sometimes get to a point where I would be afraid for my life; not to mention my own sanity. I feel torn because there would be weeks when he would be perfectly normal and I am still in love with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships