Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

How is he stalking you exactly? Lets make sure you are not paranoid. People watch too much CSI and Law and Order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
Make sure you get a restraining order, extra locks, and put a man on your answering machine.
To get a restraining order she would have to appear in court with him and in order for him to abide by the restraining order it would dictate where he's not allowed to go - so her address and phone number would be revealed at that time. Sort of sucks and defeats the purpose, I know.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
To get a restraining order she would have to appear in court with him and in order for him to abide by the restraining order it would dictate where he's not allowed to go - so her address and phone number would be revealed at that time. Sort of sucks and defeats the purpose, I know.
But he would be able to get the contact information regardless.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Just making sure people understand what getting a restraining order entails. A lot of people are quick to say "restraining order' and they don't realize they actually have to face the person in court and "prove' they are being stalked face to face with the other party. It's not just filling out a piece of paper.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Quote:
Honestly, just take the important bills you get like credit cards, the bank, car payment etc. and change your address directly with them by calling, on-line, or when you mail in a payment. Phone numbers for all these places can be found on their billing or on the back of your credit card and then the stuff you need will come directly to you and you'll by- pass the post office and him. All he'll get is your junk mail still addressed to his addresss and he'll never know. I did it and it works plus, I got no more junk mail. It does take some time to do to make a list and look up all this stuff but it's the surest way to do it.
Yep this. There is no way to get around the post office confirming a change of address. If you just change your address with banks, credit cards, ect they will just start sending it to the new place (and probably will verify by email that you've changed your address).

Or the PO Box was a good suggestion also.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Just making sure people understand what getting a restraining order entails.
Trust me, I have been through this situation and it's better to get law enforcement involved instead of trying to go about it yourself. But, the man on the answering maching works well too. Also, If you live in an apartment complex, notify your landlord and neighbors. Tell everyone you know about this nut. Too many women think that if they don't talk about it, it will go away. The only thing going away could be you...and no one will know what happened or who did it.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 PM

I had to secure a restraining order myself. So, I'm not talking randomly about this aspect. I simply wanted to make people aware of how they have to secure it. Not that it's not a good idea.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Rugged is thinking a biga** dog and a firearm!! Restraining orders do very little to protect you. If the guy is really a nutcase, do you think he gives a s*** about some piddly misdemeanor charge? I doubt it!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
To get her contact information would take a little know how on how to do it and where her information is publicly available even if she has an unlisted telephone number. It depends on how much effort he wants to put into it and if he's smart enough to know where to look. And it has nothing to do with on-line information or following her.

I worked with a woman a number of years ago, before a lot of information was available on-line, and she wanted to find her ex-husband for child support payments. She'd been trying to get the information for years and I found it in 10 minutes, but you have to know where to look.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Rugged is thinking a biga** dog and a firearm!! Restraining orders do very little to protect you. If the guy is really a nutcase, do you think he gives a s*** about some piddly misdemeanor charge? I doubt it!
Get one of those signs that reads "I ain't a killer, but don't push me!" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships