Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I graduated college last year at 25...but I also graduated with zero debt and 6 years of solid work experience. It doesn't necessarily mean these people are 'retarded' as you so eloquently put, but perhaps that they were MORE intelligent than the average college student.
I graduated at 24 with zero debt and had work experience as well. I hate how people act like everybody has to take the same path in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Quote:
Or maybe they wanted to pay for college in cash and get some work experience at the same time instead of going into massive debt and leaving college relatively inexperienced.

I graduated college last year at 25...but I also graduated with zero debt and 6 years of solid work experience. It doesn't necessarily mean these people are 'retarded' as you so eloquently put, but perhaps that they were MORE intelligent than the average college student.

As for college guys.... don't hang around the frat parties, hang around the engineering departments. I met some really great guys in college and they definitely weren't frequenting frat parties.
You do have a point. I keep forgetting that a fair share of the parents in the world tend to wimp out when it comes to putting kids thru education. So they have to put themselves through school and it's really commendable indeed.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
I think a great majority of college guys are pricks in general. It seems to come with that age range and atmosphere. Get a pack of younger guys together and see how crude and unruly the behavior becomes. They feed off each other.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:55 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlWhoLovesLife View Post
I notice more and more ever since I broke up with a 26 yr old (out of college)that many college dudes aren't that friendly. I'm still in college, and I feel like slightly older guys are more outgoing, friendly, and easy going towards girls. I talked about it with a college-age guy friend, and we both think it might be because of the huge supply of girls all over the place. Guys have a huge selection (and some girls are throwing themselves at guys), that they don't need to be a gentlemen to every girl because there are always more out there.... Yesterday my friends and I walked to a fraternity house (big mistake) by way of the lawn and was told we were "fat f***ing sl*uts" for doing so. Mind you, it was a open house and many people were using the lawn. It cracks me up because we're division 1 athletes, not fat haha and besides the point, all you have to do is ask a lil nicer! we're all just tryna have a good time! So what do you think of this stereotype i have in my head? Guys are immature til later?
It's a mix of both immaturity and an overabundance of females in a select environment. College is just a step before hitting the real world, and I feel the next 3-5 years AFTER you graduate is even more important to maturity development than college is. If you think they're immature now, just wait until they get a job out of college and think they're on top of the world. They'll be going through a quarterlife crisis where they realize the won't be rich, their wife won't be a supermodel, and they won't like their job. Until they understand to appreciate the finer things in life and hit reality, their attitude toward women won't change for the better.

Women are much more crazier at this stage than men are, so I'd say the males in this situation should be the least of your worries, as you're about to hit the real world brick wall after graduation.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,581 times
I need to change college to wherever girls throw themselves at guys... never seen that around here...

Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
This is old news. Any guys who have women throwing themselves at them quickly become like that. At one time, this was mainly the wealthy guys with a few good looking types thrown in.

I doubt that its changed too much - just the desperation. A recent article in the NYT was clear about this, if one was good at reading between the lines. There may be 2 girls for every boy on campus today but the women are still looking predominately for the top 10 to 20 percentile. The only thing that has changed is the desperation of the competition for them.

As in the past, many will put their hopes on hold until they enter the work world. There they will likely find that now, the only single guys available are the ones they spurned in college.

Of course, they can always try to steal their boss away from his wife.
Every generation has to learn these basic truthes anew. As things go, this is not as old as some. Until the invention of the pill in the 60s, average women could do little to attract men who "interest" them. However, it usually takes much time to determine thatwhile they can attract them, they have no hope in nailing them down.

Then the nastyness really begins.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
I need to change college to wherever girls throw themselves at guys... never seen that around here...
Don't change colleges, just look in the mirror critically.

This will probably encourage you to redouble your efforts studying.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,191,963 times
When I was at University, I was a prick too. Why shouldn't I be? It served me very well, never had an issue getting girls and I generally had a great time.

Generally speaking, when women don't agree with a man's behaviour he is immediately branded immature, jerk, loser etc etc. So guys, if women call you those names, they're just calling you those names because your behaviour do not conform to what they want and it does not benefit them in any shape or form, so subsequently you are just branded a loser, immature etc.

I've heard plenty of stories from women about how so and so is a loser and immature, and when I actually get to the meet said guy, he is a pretty decent fella who doesn't bend over to anyone and everyone. Good for him I say.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You do have a point. I keep forgetting that a fair share of the parents in the world tend to wimp out when it comes to putting kids thru education. So they have to put themselves through school and it's really commendable indeed.
Not all parents can afford it. My parents helped with what they can (like letting me live at home for a bit) but they weren't made of money. They make good money now, but it wasn't always that way.

Besides, I wanted to go to school part time and work part/full time. I was friends with many people who found it difficult to get a job (or rather, a decent paying one) right out of college because they had zero work experience. But hey, at least they could do a great keg stand.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:31 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,853,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka

Quote:
Not all parents can afford it. My parents helped with what they can (like letting me live at home for a bit) but they weren't made of money. They make good money now, but it wasn't always that way.

Besides, I wanted to go to school part time and work part/full time. I was friends with many people who found it difficult to get a job (or rather, a decent paying one) right out of college because they had zero work experience. But hey, at least they could do a great keg stand.
I was the oldest in my family. In all my years of PS education, my parents gave me $150 total one year when I was broke at the end of the school year.

Many of my college friends were like that - nice guys too - and had to work years to afford to go.

For my youngest brother, my parents paid the full shot and he flunked every course.

When my mother was seriously ill for more than a year recently, guess who did most of the work to help her?

Guess who did none?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships