U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 AM
 
Location: Homeless
1,203 posts, read 1,814,618 times
Reputation: 511

Advertisements

I have noticed that online and off that some the people who are married and in committed relationships seem to think its their sworn duty to convince others that their path is the best and only correct path.

I have yet to see a person who has chosen to be single for life, even ones who are happy with the decision, try to convince anyone else that their chjoice is the best for everyone.


i wonder why.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Sol System
1,495 posts, read 3,010,926 times
Reputation: 1031
They are unwitting victims of a society that has imposed a stigma of 'be fruitful and multiply'. In addition , under the influence of the media which perpertrates courtship , dating , and marriage as being the key to true happiness. Problem is , in our neverending quest to dominate the planet , we decimate the environment and deplete the available resources.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 06:23 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,906 posts, read 38,474,651 times
Reputation: 42628
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
I have noticed that online and off that some the people who are married and in committed relationships seem to think its their sworn duty to convince others that their path is the best and only correct path.

I have yet to see a person who has chosen to be single for life, even ones who are happy with the decision, try to convince anyone else that their chjoice is the best for everyone.


i wonder why.
Really? I've seen lots of posts here from single people decrying marriage. Most of them are the pickup group: "Don't ever get married! She'll morph into a fat, bloodsucking harpy and will take all your money!" Some are from women, though. We get these posts every day. You really don't see them?

Search this forum for "piece of paper."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Homeless
1,203 posts, read 1,814,618 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
They are unwitting victims of a society that has imposed a stigma of 'be fruitful and multiply'. In addition , under the influence of the media which perpertrates courtship , dating , and marriage as being the key to true happiness. Problem is , in our neverending quest to dominate the planet , we decimate the environment and deplete the available resources.
Nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Homeless
1,203 posts, read 1,814,618 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Really? I've seen lots of posts here from single people decrying marriage. Most of them are the pickup group: "Don't ever get married! She'll morph into a fat, bloodsucking harpy and will take all your money!" Some are from women, though. We get these posts every day. You really don't see them?

Search this forum for "piece of paper."
I guess I might miss those forums.
I will lookup the subject you wrote though.

It just seems like more people are all for marriage, and the ones who are not seem to be divorced or have had issues with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:48 PM
 
4,379 posts, read 4,769,858 times
Reputation: 1612
In life, there is no objective path. For anything.

Everything is subject to individual perception or whim, and what really is good for one person is not good for another.

it's kind of like people who never choose to get married, or only have bf/gf arrrangements. if this is what works for them, so what? People baulk at the comment "Marriage is just a piece of paper", but I can see where that the logic behind it. Marriage is largely a social construct.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
 
5,879 posts, read 8,371,501 times
Reputation: 2753
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
I have noticed that online and off that some the people who are married and in committed relationships seem to think its their sworn duty to convince others that their path is the best and only correct path.

I have yet to see a person who has chosen to be single for life, even ones who are happy with the decision, try to convince anyone else that their chjoice is the best for everyone.


i wonder why.
Who am I to tell someone else how to live their own life. I am single but don't bash the ones who are happily married!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top