Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,220,173 times

Advertisements

I think the crisis to avert is what will happen when you go back to work. If the renovations will be complete and you'll be working out of the house at some point in the next, say, six months, I wouldn't waste a lot of energy getting upset over all of this now.

Instead, I'd focus on preparing him for the changes that will take place. As in, I'd let him know that once I am working out of the house, he's going to have to take up 50% of the chores. If he balks or complains, you already have the ammo: "Hey, being the contractor for these renovations for the last few years was full-time work, but because I was here, physically in the house, I could do this stuff. I won't be in the house anymore, which means I won't be around to get it done. I'll be away just as much as you, and it's only fair that we split these tasks equitably."

I mean, there's really not much he could say to counter that without sounding selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,441,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
My husband and I use to work full time until he lost his job, we had to move and then I had to quit my job. Since then, I have sacrificed getting a job and stayed home for the past year to renovate our entire home. I am the contractor.

My husband in the past couple of years has stopped doing EVERYTHING. What I mean by that, is he works and that's it. I do grocery shopping, laundry, cooking, cleaning, errands of any kind, doctors appts, cleaning the cat box, as well as cleaning up after him. You name it, I do it. If he makes a sandwich, I clean it up. Get the picture?

I plan on heading back to work when the renovations are done.

So, since I have never been in a traditional role type relationship, is this normal?
Talk to him about it.

What's "normal" is irrelevant. If the behavior causes an erosion in your relationship is all that matters. Did his Mom to the SAHM thing while Dad worked? If so this maybe the division of labor model he saw and assumes is "normal". But for you it isn't.

Just talk it thru in a non-confrontationl manner.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:04 PM

20,559 posts, read 19,216,911 times
Quote:
My husband and I use to work full time until he lost his job, we hadDeja Vu Again to move and then I had to quit my job. Since then, I have sacrificed getting a job and stayed home for the past year to renovate our entire home. I am the contractor.

My husband in the past couple of years has stopped doing EVERYTHING. What I mean by that, is he works and that's it. I do grocery shopping, laundry, cooking, cleaning, errands of any kind, doctors appts, cleaning the cat box, as well as cleaning up after him. You name it, I do it. If he makes a sandwich, I clean it up. Get the picture?

So, since I have never been in a traditional role type relationship, is this normal?
Hi Deja Vu Again,

Not to be nit picky but :
If he makes a sandwich, I clean it up. Get the picture?
You didn't make the sandwich. So you are not doing everything. If he leaves a mess and you clean it up, it might mean it does not yet look like a mess to him. In other words, you may be doing things he does not even think about. How much is he telling you to do? Some people are housework-alcoholics. Your standards may conflict. Many men are not known for being fastidious.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:11 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,892,899 times
This is one of the areas where my g/f and I had minor issues when she first moved in.

I'm by no means a dirty person, but we have different standards around the house.
I tend to let dishes build up, when she likes them done straight away, I don't see the need to wash down the shower every single time it's used, she does.

we've reached compromise on things, she's learned that I'll get round to it, but not immediately, and if she wants it done quicker, she's welcome to do it herself.

I've realised these things are important to her, so I try a little harder to work to her standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You didn't make the sandwich. So you are not doing everything. If he leaves a mess and you clean it up, it might mean it does not yet look like a mess to him. In other words, you may be doing things he does not even think about. How much is he telling you to do? Some people are housework-alcoholics. Your standards may conflict. Many men are not known for being fastidious.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,309,913 times
Quote:
My husband and I use to work full time until he lost his job, we had to move and then I had to quit my job. Since then, I have sacrificed getting a job and stayed home for the past year to renovate our entire home. I am the contractor.

If he works 40 hours per week do you spend 40 hours per week cleaning and etc?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 PM

437 posts, read 673,721 times
The house work vs outside work as it applies to gender, including the older days, is often mis-stated. Sure, the old fashion domestic wife would attend to much of the inside cleaning, child raising, and cooking but men would spend their weekend doing discipline, yard work, car repair, and repairing things around the house.

You never hear about the latter part though when many women complain that men don't do their "fair share." Many men both then and now do in fact do their fair share, it's just a different (and more dangerous) one.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,124,112 times
My wife actually ran over my foot when we were jump starting the car. car turned on, and she threw it in reverse. My big toe still looks like a mini-light bulb as a result. And she thinks its funny, LoL. Jokes always on me.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,497,515 times
Cleaning is almost always the responsibility of the one who is more obsessed about it. One's a "neat freak" and the other's a "slob". Gender doesn't matter.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
our grandfathers worked hard but they did stuff around the house plenty. there was yard work and so forth to be done and repairs on the house.
it should be no different now. unfortunately we didnt like our granparents model so we replaced it with our own, we have failed.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:44 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,309,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
My wife actually ran over my foot when we were jump starting the car. car turned on, and she threw it in reverse. My big toe still looks like a mini-light bulb as a result. And she thinks its funny, LoL. Jokes always on me.

That reminds me of the time when my battery died. I had to push the car out of the way with my wife behind the wheel to pull our other car around for a jump. As I'm breaking my back pushing up an incline I see the brake lights come on.

I'd have to say the last thing you want to do when someone is trying to push a car up an incline is step on the brake....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships