Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:40 PM

264 posts, read 444,099 times

Advertisements

I thought this forum would be good for this, I'd love some input. Nothing anyone says would ever change my mind regarding this topic, I'm just looking for some opinions and what not, I would love to know if I'm off my rocker... or on my rocker.

Scenario-
My best friend (David) is gay. His partner (of over 6 years now) is Scott.. they were recently engaged (woohoo!) and will be getting married next year sometime (we live in NY where gay marriage is recognized, but they will have to go a few hours over to another northeastern state to tie the knot).

I'm married, I have been for almost 6 years (will be 6 years in July!)- we have one little girl who just turned 4. I love my husband with everything.. he's my rock, my love, my.. everything. NEVER have I thought about betraying him, never could I even imagine doing so.. we're perfectly fine in our marriage, and absolutely happy.

My husband sometimes works a night shift (which is 1:30pm to 11:30pm) and during these nights David (best friend) will sometimes come over to keep daughter and I company. He'll have dinner with us (and even do my dishes! LOL), he'll play with my daughter, read her a bed story.. he loves her!! Then we often watch a movie together and just relax and enjoy eachothers company.

My family (i.e. parents) have a HUGE problem with this, and make it known. They don't feel he should be over when my husband is not home. They have 2 issues... the first being we cuddle, and we even peck eachother on the lips (it's when we first see eachother.. like a "hey!!! how are you?" best friend kiss).. they have a serious (!) issue that I may lay my head on his shoulder when we watch a movie. Dave is a very "clingy" emotional like guy, it's just who he is. He's touchy feely.. and it's NOT "in THAT way" .. he's gay for cripes sake.

The biggest issue they have is David and I USED to be together- we dated, we were eachothers "firsts" for many things. But, we were 16 years OLD (I'm almost 31 now, as is he).. he was 'testing the waters' so to speak.. thinking he was perhaps having feelings for men, but very afraid at that particular age to "think like that" and sort of hid it.. and so we had a relationship for a bit.

Do YOU find anything wrong with him coming to my house to watch a movie when the hubby is gone? For the record- I obviously have to add this... my husband does NOT care. He's friends with David, knows our past, knows we "had a thing" together when we were 16, he knows it all. I can give David a "hi, how are you?" kiss in front of my husband and he would never blink an eye. He just doesn't care.

David loves his partner (as do I, btw... I'm also very close to him).. I mean, they're getting MARRIED. They are *gay*. I'm married, I love my husband more than life itself. None of this is romantic.. we're just best friends who mean the WORLD to eachother and we show in a different way that is perhaps "taboo" to some people (I find mostly an older generation).

Opinions? Like I said, I would never change who I am... I won't stop having him over. But, it would be nice to know at least a FEW people out there don't see an issue with the whole thing. I'm beginning to think I'm crazy

(geez, sorry so long)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:44 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,140 times
If you're husband is truly okay with the situation and knows about it completely, then your parents/family need to be welcomed to the 21st century.

I don't see an issue with any of it as long as your husband is aware of everything.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:46 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with him coming over, etc. It is kind of questionable, imo, that you're cuddling with him. I just really see that as a fine line - gay or not. That is not something I would do with anyone other than my husband.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
I think you have a lovely relationship with your friend. I agree with swmrbird, as long as your husband is fine with it then personally I would ignore your parents.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
The world is weirder than I thought LMAO

If Pam Anderson were lesbian, she's most welcome in my house when Miss Chamataka's left for work. And she better show up in her red baywatch suit. I can make use of a boobysitter

Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The world is weirder than I thought LMAO

If Pam Anderson were lesbian, she's most welcome in my house when Miss Chamataka's left for work. And she better show up in her red baywatch suit. I can make use of a boobysitter
She's got a couple of pillows for you to lay your head on too. Totally harmless, I'm sure.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
She's got a couple of pillows for you to lay your head on too. Totally harmless, I'm sure.
She can vacuum the carpet and do the dishes. I'm not cuddling with her or have Antlered kiddo call her backup mommy

Lay my head? The gelly from silicone might actually ooze and ruin my hair

Old 04-04-2010, 06:10 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with him coming over, etc. It is kind of questionable, imo, that you're cuddling with him. I just really see that as a fine line - gay or not. That is not something I would do with anyone other than my husband.
I'm right here with spinx on this one. I also think you should get them a very nice wedding gift.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:10 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Why is a grown, married woman discussing her social life and friendships with her parents?

Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
If you're husband is truly okay with the situation and knows about it completely, then your parents/family need to be welcomed to the 21st century.

I don't see an issue with any of it as long as your husband is aware of everything.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships