Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:14 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The divorce rate is over 60%? Since when? Do you really believe that three out of five people who were married are now divorced?

Good grief, this stat is just inflated and inflated and inflated to ridiculous proportions. Soon we'll be hearing, "The divorce rate is 110%!!!!!1"
You can research the divorce rate and it'll be over 50%-60%. It's even higher in the church (off-topic I know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmac View Post
For starters I'm seeing an alarming # of single folks out there today. The Divorce rate is thru the roof, the # of married individuals admitting to having affairs is well over 60% for both men & women.

A common theme I'm hearing from singles today is they dont know where to go an meet people anymore, as so many folks avoid the Bar scene these days, nor do they want to meet a potential partner at a Bar.

I'm seeing an increase in #'s of newly single women who have children and feel their dating lives are over cause of the whole baggage scenario, and it's leading to a lot of jaded individuals out there.

I took a 3yr dating hiatus so I could wrap my head around what I wanted in a woman and how to make sure I dont become a statistic. This hiatus while very much needed, has left me at a disadvantage as now people are said to be using online dating sites and various other meeting media to meet one another which Im not used to.

So people What's your take? I know there are enoug single folks out there to chime in, the #'s dont lie.
Singles realize there's many options to meeting a potential mate so they exercise every option possible before they revert back to the old-school way, face to face. Another reason why as you say, there's an alarming number of singles out there is because many single people don't feel the need to be in a relationship; they're happy being alone because they don't want the baggage/drama that being in a relationship brings. Let's be honest, can you really blame them? Between having to jump through hoops to impress a woman that's NOT WORTH IMPRESSING to being involved with a scorned woman that wants you to pay for the mistreatment of some sorry clown she's been with, that wears on you after a while and leads you to become jaded in your view of relationships. I co-sign on the single women with children bit because it's true, most single men (unless they're angels) aren't going to be checking for single women with children because they still have ties to the children's father, in some way. That, and many single moms are looking for a man to play the father role which is understandable but at the same time, many men aren't ready to be a father and would rather get to know her first. I feel another reason why there are many singles is because we're picky in who we choose to get involved with. We would rather get it right the first time so we screen each potential to a T (I know I do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmac View Post
For starters I'm seeing an alarming # of single folks out there today. The Divorce rate is thru the roof, the # of married individuals admitting to having affairs is well over 60% for both men & women.

A common theme I'm hearing from singles today is they dont know where to go an meet people anymore, as so many folks avoid the Bar scene these days, nor do they want to meet a potential partner at a Bar.

I'm seeing an increase in #'s of newly single women who have children and feel their dating lives are over cause of the whole baggage scenario, and it's leading to a lot of jaded individuals out there.

I took a 3yr dating hiatus so I could wrap my head around what I wanted in a woman and how to make sure I dont become a statistic. This hiatus while very much needed, has left me at a disadvantage as now people are said to be using online dating sites and various other meeting media to meet one another which Im not used to.

So people What's your take? I know there are enoug single folks out there to chime in, the #'s dont lie.
Our society is based on entitlement, we want what we want, when we want it, which is now. Everything is supposed to be easy, and that's why we divorce so easily: a one year rough patch will often end a marriage because we feel entitled to happiness without any work. Just browse around this board and see how often people advise each other to get a divorce.

I've been divorced for about 5 years now. Only now am I starting to wrap my head around seriously trying to find someone new...I'm thinking 3 to 6 months. I don't have any children so I can't speak to that part. I don't know about the online thing... I've dabbled in it here and there, but frankly I'm not that wild about it. I'm well over the bar scene too so I won't be meeting people that way either. I'm not sure how I'll meet people; I will probably involve myself in clubs, volunteering etc.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
The divorce rate is over 60%? Since when? Do you really believe that three out of five people who were married are now divorced?

Good grief, this stat is just inflated and inflated and inflated to ridiculous proportions. Soon we'll be hearing, "The divorce rate is 110%!!!!!1"
I read his sentence as saying the infidelity rate is over 60%.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,402 times
Quote:

Since divorce is a "work in progress" who's to say that the rate for currently existing marriages will not eventually reach this level? Nobody has ever said 110%! However, there are already parts of the US where divorces outnumber marriages. I haven't massaged the data so it could be that this is caused by couples moving in and then getting divorced.

This is common where I live and such people have a very high divorce rate. It is attributed to couples losing the support of family and friends. This is usually followed by one party getting support and returning home, leaving the other party forced to stay and continue to earn the higher wages that drew them here in the first place.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
I don't know, I think just as many people were unhappy with their marriages 50 years ago as they are today. Today the stigmatism of divorce is gone, otherwise I think divorce rates would have been just the same back in the 1950's. The pressures from the church, parents, and society just doesn't carry as much weight today.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 AM

454 posts, read 688,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I use to go for dance, I pulled my shirt off had my bottle of water in my pocket and I danced for 4-5 hours with few breaks.
Oh my gosh, you're one of the guys who danced around with their shirts off LOL...

Well, I can feel you there. When I was 18,19...and living in Florida, I used to go out just to dance. I never failed to get someone's attention.

But then when I moved out here, things just changed. I'm not the wild crazy girl getting down on the dancefloor like I was just a couple of years ago. There's different reasons why, but thats not to say I wont still.

I find many of the people in the clubs here repulsive. I dont wanna be shaking my ass knowing that there's gonna be some overweight, fat bear-belly guy staring at it.

But now that you mentioned, I may have to get back into that whole dancing my ass off bymyself mode for awhile. Cause before I had a laptop, that was the only way I could meet people

Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I don't know, I think just as many people were unhappy with their marriages 50 years ago as they are today. Today the stigmatism of divorce is gone, otherwise I think divorce rates would have been just the same back in the 1950's. The pressures from the church, parents, and society just doesn't carry as much weight today.
I completely agree.

As to it being harder to meet people today, and the whole online dating thing....that's easy to understand. People simply don't HAVE to go out like they used to. Order dinner over the phone it will be delivered hot to your door. Streaming movies...netflix. Online shopping has become commonplace Hell you don't even have to go to the post office to get stamps or mail a package. You can get almost everything you need, from the comfort of your own living room. If the only time you get out, is to go hit the bars, then you'll be lucky to find a dog that will follow you home.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Exactly. The times are changing. These days eveeryone (women included! who would have thought!) go to college. There is no pressure to get married and settle down. We were raised to be more independent - go to school, get a job, make something of yourself. If you meet someone along the way, more power to you but it's not the end of the world if you're not married by 25, 30, 35, ect!

And why does everyone quote the divorce rate? So what people get divorced. Isn't it better to get divorced than live in an unhappy marriage? Now I understand kids can complicate this situation greatly.

Maybe it's better that us singles are out there and aren't getting married early - let us take our time finding ourselves and meeting the right people (however that may be these days, online or otherwise).

An 'alarming' number of singles isn't bad...it's 2010, not 1950. That's just how it is now.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:07 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
You can research the divorce rate and it'll be over 50%-60%. It's even higher in the church (off-topic I know)

Singles realize there's many options to meeting a potential mate so they exercise every option possible before they revert back to the old-school way, face to face. Another reason why as you say, there's an alarming number of singles out there is because many single people don't feel the need to be in a relationship; they're happy being alone because they don't want the baggage/drama that being in a relationship brings. Let's be honest, can you really blame them? Between having to jump through hoops to impress a woman that's NOT WORTH IMPRESSING to being involved with a scorned woman that wants you to pay for the mistreatment of some sorry clown she's been with, that wears on you after a while and leads you to become jaded in your view of relationships. I co-sign on the single women with children bit because it's true, most single men (unless they're angels) aren't going to be checking for single women with children because they still have ties to the children's father, in some way. That, and many single moms are looking for a man to play the father role which is understandable but at the same time, many men aren't ready to be a father and would rather get to know her first. I feel another reason why there are many singles is because we're picky in who we choose to get involved with. We would rather get it right the first time so we screen each potential to a T (I know I do).
NorthsideJacksonville, your commentary is on point as usual!!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I've also noticed that gender roles have changed. The culture has probably changed too. Back in the day "hooking up" and "casual sex" probably wasn't the norm amongst most people. Now it is practically "shoved down your throat". Dating and courting has disintegrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Too many options.

Gender roles have changed.

Technology makes it easier/harder to meet people

etc., etc., etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships