Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times

Advertisements

[Someone suggested I make this a thread and I agree!]

I have recently become a fan of Urbanmonk.com. Given the high number of threads around here on the topic of manliness, perhaps this will make an interesting discussion. As a female, I'll probably observe more than anything else.

I'm starting a paragraph or two in:

No rites of passage

True manhood is being a perfect balance of velvet and steel. It is the perfect balance between being hard and soft. It is knowing when to unsheathe your sword, and when to hide it.

Are you a man? Most males are not.

In current culture, we grow up into adulthood without any proper training. The education system gives us skills to earn a living, and that’s not good enough. Being able to support yourself is just a part of manhood, yes, but only a part. We have no rites of passage like ancient cultures do. The result? Boys in men’s bodies.
What manhood isn’t

I kept my sword sheathed as a teen. I kept my power hidden for fear of upsetting others. I was a wimp. I went through life governed by fear. Read the list of what I was afraid of – Do you recognise any of these in yourself?

Fear of women (especially beautiful ones), fear of the boss, fear of hard work, fear of being humiliated, of standing out, and fear of displeasing my parents.

That was not a good way to live. I achieved nothing, I got nothing.
Other males have their swords out all the time. These are the cool “bad boys”. They use anger and intimidation to get their way. They often show no regard for other people. They could come across as callous or rude.
I went through a phase like this (the pendulum effect, which I shall detail in a future post), and it does give you slightly more power and leverage. But I didn’t like it – I had simply changed I was afraid of. I can also honestly say that people like this hide a different fear and insecurity.
Once we have developed the courage to find and draw our sword (notice I didn’t say develop personal power – we are all born with power, it’s just buried), we have to learn how and when to use it.

This doesn’t come naturally, no matter what anyone says. No-one is born an expert in anything. There is always a period of learning, trial and error. But once we pay our dues, we become a prince.

The full link:
A man’s manual to being a manly man – Introduction: Being a prince | Personal Development - UrbanMonk.Net

DISCUSS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post

I have recently become a fan of Urbanmonk.com. Given the high number of threads around here on the topic of manliness, perhaps this will make an interesting discussion. As a female, I'll probably observe more than anything else.

No rites of passage

True manhood is being a perfect balance of velvet and steel. It is the perfect balance between being hard and soft. It is knowing when to unsheathe your sword, and when to hide it.

In current culture, we grow up into adulthood without any proper training. The education system gives us skills to earn a living, and that’s not good enough. Being able to support yourself is just a part of manhood, yes, but only a part. We have no rites of passage like ancient cultures do. The result? Boys in men’s bodies.
What manhood isn’t

I kept my sword sheathed as a teen. I kept my power hidden for fear of upsetting others. I was a wimp. I went through life governed by fear. Read the list of what I was afraid of – Do you recognise any of these in yourself?

Fear of women (especially beautiful ones), fear of the boss, fear of hard work, fear of being humiliated, of standing out, and fear of displeasing my parents.

Other males have their swords out all the time. These are the cool “bad boys”. They use anger and intimidation to get their way. They often show no regard for other people. They could come across as callous or rude.
I went through a phase like this (the pendulum effect, which I shall detail in a future post), and it does give you slightly more power and leverage. But I didn’t like it – I had simply changed I was afraid of. I can also honestly say that people like this hide a different fear and insecurity.
Once we have developed the courage to find and draw our sword (notice I didn’t say develop personal power – we are all born with power, it’s just buried), we have to learn how and when to use it.

This doesn’t come naturally, no matter what anyone says. No-one is born an expert in anything. There is always a period of learning, trial and error. But once we pay our dues, we become a prince.

The full link:
A man’s manual to being a manly man – Introduction: Being a prince | Personal Development - UrbanMonk.Net

DISCUSS
Rugged does not need to read a manual or put on an act. Can you handle it?!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 PM

355 posts, read 616,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post

No rites of passage

What manhood isn’t

The full link:

DISCUSS
Yep. No real men anymore. Guys only "acting like" men.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,193,424 times
I suspect this thread will descend into a bunch of women telling men what "real" or "true" or "manly" man is for about the 500th time.

I've seen and read a billion manuals or articles, or whatever we call them, and it's all a bunch of gibberish. I don't need to be defined by anyone, least not by women. I am a man of honour and integrity, because I live my life treating people with courtesy and respect. I may make mistakes along the way, and unintentionally hurt people, but as much as I am a man, I am also a human being and I make mistakes along the way. I have flaws like any other person.

I am not defined by anyone, not a man, not a woman. Women don't like to be told what they are and what they are supposed to act like, so please stop defining us men. It's insulting and demeaning.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Can you handle it?!
I'm sure Miss Rosie Palm can!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,655 times
I got a better idea.

Say yes/no to a sir/ma'am, and make sure to address them as such.

Hold doors for people.

Speak your mind.

Strive to do the right thing.

Don't be snivelling and passive-aggressive.

And don't bend to the popular opinion of your peers, be an individual.

Address your peers by their names, it's casual. Anyone more than 5 years older than you is a SIR or MA'AM.

And only fight in defense.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Address your peers by their names, it's casual. Anyone more than 5 years older than you is a SIR or MA'AM.
You call me ma'am - I'd kill ya!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 PM

The real mans manual to being a manly man!LOL....... Home Page | Shotgun News

Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
The real mans manual to being a manly man!LOL....... Home Page | Shotgun News
Sure, dear! As soon as you decide to switch the teams!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sure, dear! As soon as you decide to switch the teams!
Volume #2LOL....... Hot Rods, Classic Cars & Street Rods - Hot Rod Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships