Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah. We got that.
I just get offended that someone could think that I don't know about Retinoids because I always recommend them to to others (on beauty and skin care boards) when people ask for advice etc.

I have known about this for years! Does Virgode really think that someone who is invested in beauty and youth wouldn't do research and know about retinoids? This is all very BASIC A-B-C type info. It's not anything complicated. It's BASIC INFO. Everyone talks about retinoids all day long on MUA (Makeupalley) on the skincare boards.

Virgode, you're not telling me anything I don't know. I already know this stuff. I probably know more about it than you do.

Pretty much any woman who is into preserving her youth and has an internet connection and reads beauty blogs and skincare blogs and forums knew about retinoids YEARS ago. Why are you assuming I don't know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I just get offended that someone could think that I don't know about Retinoids because I always recommend them to to others (on beauty and skin care boards) when people ask for advice etc.

I have known about this for years! Does Virgode really think that someone who is invested in beauty and youth wouldn't do research and know about retinoids? This is all very BASIC A-B-C type info. It's not anything complicated. It's BASIC INFO. Everyone talks about retinoids all day long on MUA (Makeupalley) on the skincare boards.

Virgode, you're not telling me anything I don't know. I already know this stuff. I probably know more about it than you do.

Pretty much any woman who is into preserving her youth and has an internet connection and reads beauty blogs and skincare blogs and forums knew about retinoids YEARS ago. Why are you assuming I don't know this?
You should really relax or you'll get a wrinkle.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Quote:

Made me remember to smear that stuff on my face that I got at the Lancome counter (okay, it's good stuff), made me remember to take the vitamin c (ester c, it works better), made me remember to take the fish oil--for memory, not beauty. Damn! Is this health or relationship?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Made me remember to smear that stuff on my face that I got at the Lancome counter (okay, it's good stuff), made me remember to take the vitamin c (ester c, it works better), made me remember to take the fish oil--for memory, not beauty. Damn! Is this health or relationship?
Lancome is crap. The only product that is had been scientifically proven is retinoids. I don't care if you use inferior products though, it isn't my face. Use what you will. It makes no difference to me.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,767 times
I think I look pretty average. I look A LOT like my mom. Everyone says it. But I have a feeling people think my mom's prettier. Kinda sad and embarrassing. *shrug*

But I think it's mostly a pretty good guessing tool.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Lancome is crap. The only product that is had been scientifically proven is retinoids. I don't care if you use inferior products though, it isn't my face. Use what you will. It makes no difference to me.
Yeah photobuff, I don't care what you use either b/c then I'll have the prettiest little retinoid preserved face except for jackie here--people tell me I look AT LEAST 21, but Jackie looks 14. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Where can I get some of that stuff Jackie? The good stuff I mean.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:27 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Thank you Captain. I bet your daughters take after their Papa and are quite beautiful!
As a matter of fact all 3 of them are quite lovely. But in all honesty they owe that to their mother. They seem to have her beauty and my personality.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
Just remember that the word SCIENTIFICALLY which you are dropping here is open to many interperetations, especially when it comes to the world of advertising.
Quote:
have been proven SCIENTIFICALLY to reduce the signs of aging.
Since appearance of age is in the eye of the beholder, then there is a degree of opinion and subjectivity about it.
Even if machinery and scanners are used, then these are ultimately made by a human, and interpereted by a human, so, again, subjective.

It's only the conditions the test are carried out in which make the results SCIENTIFIC.

These are the little things the makers and advertisers don't tell you

Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Just remember that the word SCIENTIFICALLY which you are dropping here is open to many interperetations, especially when it comes to the world of advertising.

Since appearance of age is in the eye of the beholder, then there is a degree of opinion and subjectivity about it.
Even if machinery and scanners are used, then these are ultimately made by a human, and interpereted by a human, so, again, subjective.

It's only the conditions the test are carried out in which make the results SCIENTIFIC.

These are the little things the makers and advertisers don't tell you
As for the appearance of age, it is NOT subjective. In clinical studies the effectiveness of products is measured by the decrease in wrinkles etc.

These are not "advertisements" these are studies that have been published in medical journals by doctors, completely independent from the companies who manufacture these products. These studies conducted by universities and PUBLISHED in well known medical and dermatology journals.

I am not stupid. I know how to distinguish from an independent study to something spun by the company to market their product. Below is the result from a study conducted by the uni of Michigant stating that retinoic acid does improve the skin. Its backed up by scientific evidence.

Department of Pathology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA.
Abstract

Past studies have shown that topical treatment of sun-exposed skin with all-trans retinoic acid improves the clinical and histologic appearance of the skin. This is associated with a reduction in matrix metalloproteinase elaboration and with expression of a newly synthesized collagenous matrix. Whether retinoid therapy might have a similar impact on the appearance of intrinsically aged skin is not known. This study, using human skin in organ culture and epidermal keratinocytes and fibroblasts in monolayer culture, show that retinoic acid stimulates growth of both keratinocytes and fibroblasts and stimulates extracellular matrix production by the fibroblasts. Adult skin from sun-exposed and sun-protected sites responds equally well to retinoic acid, whereas neonatal skin is much less responsive under the same conditions. The implications of this are (i) that retinoids may be able to repair intrinsically aged skin as well as photoaged skin, and (ii) that retinoids modulate human skin cell function in a manner that is age-related, and not simply a response to photodamage."

source: Molecular mechanisms of intrinsic skin aging and r... [J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 1998] - PubMed result

From WebMD.com

FOR RETINOIDS: It's hard to argue with the science behind retinoids, says Miami dermatologist Dr. Leslie Baumann. "They are prescription drugs. For FDA approval, drug companies have to do scientific studies that absolutely prove retinoids get rid of wrinkles. It is the only thing on the market that has such concrete evidence."

This article below was published in the Journal of Drugs and Dermatology re: retinoids

Systemic and topical drugs for aging skin | Journal of Drugs in Dermatology | Find Articles at BNET

Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 AM

Don't believe me Bobman? Ask your dermatologist or doctor. It's been proven medically to reduce wrinkles. So please don't say that I am influenced by advertisers etc. Ask a doctor. I guarantee you he or she will know.

And SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic Acid has been proven to protect the skin from the sun. It was mentioned in a medical journal. Not only that but it's also prevents dna mutations associated with skin cancer.

A topical antioxidant solution containing vitamins C and E stabilized by ferulic acid provides protection for human skin against damage caused by ultraviolet irradiation
Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Volume 59, Issue 3, Pages 418-425
J. Murray, J. Burch, R. Streilein, M. Iannacchione, R. Hall, S. Pinnell

Abstract

[SIZE=0.9em]BackgroundSkin cancer and photoaging changes result from ultraviolet (UV)-induced oxidative stress. Topical antioxidants may protect skin from these effects.
ObjectiveWe sought to determine whether a stable topical formulation of 15% L-ascorbic acid, 1% alpha-tocopherol, and 0.5% ferulic acid (CEFer) could protect human skin in vivo from substantial amounts of solar-simulated UV radiation.
MethodsCEFer and its vehicle were applied to separate patches of normal-appearing human skin for 4 days. Each patch was irradiated with solar-simulated UV, 2 to 10 minimal erythema doses, at 2-minimal erythema dose intervals. One day later, skin was evaluated for erythema and sunburn cells, and immunohistochemically for thymine dimers and p53. UV-induced cytokine formation, including interleukin (IL)-1α, IL-6, IL-8, and IL-10, and tumor necrosis factor-α, were evaluated by real-time polymerase chain reaction.
ResultsCEFer provided significant and meaningful photoprotection for skin by all methods of evaluation.
LimitationsThe number of patients evaluated was relatively small.
ConclusionCEFer provided substantial UV photoprotection for skin. It is particularly effective for reducing thymine dimer mutations known to be associated with skin cancer. Its mechanism of action is different from sunscreens and would be expected to supplement the sun protection provided by sunscreens.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by jackie100; 04-07-2010 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships