Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think MOST people feel this is true. I do as well. However, I must admit that I have, in the past, slept with a guy on the first date. Not many mind you, but a few. And one of them, I ended up marrying. And I know a few other women with the same experience. So a fatality is not always inevitable.
See ChessieMom! All these years I've kept our secret. And here you are blabbin about our first date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See how you are??????????

Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

Yeah, that's why I hate my friends' kids. It's even why I hate my nephew and nieces.

Not sure why you would hate your nephew and nieces..I can understand disliking your friends' children but geez...your own family?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Not sure why you would hate your nephew and nieces..I can understand disliking your friends' children but geez...your own family?
Well, according to you men are biologically hardwired to detest other men's offspring, a claim that I'd love to see you actually find support for. But if we follow that claim, then that would mean I should hate my nephews and nieces since they're the offspring of another man.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
If a guy doesn't want to date a single mother, that's his business.
Denny, were you raised by a single mother? There HAS to be a reason for that much passion and effort put into one single subject every single time it shows up.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Well, according to you men are biologically hardwired to detest other men's offspring, a claim that I'd love to see you actually find support for.
Fathers And Kids: Parenting Fraud : Men's Health

Quote:
Many men in Connaro's position might not feel the same way. Studies show that evolution has designed men to care deeply about who their children are. In 2003, for instance, researchers at the State University of New York at Albany recruited 20 men and 20 women, then morphed their facial features with photographs of children. Subsequent testing showed that the women responded equally to photos of kids whose faces resembled theirs and those that resembled the faces of strangers. The men, on the other hand, reacted far more positively to children whose faces resembled their own.
Page 2 -
Quote:
"It's not reproductively beneficial to invest all your resources in a child who is not carrying on your genetic line," says study author Rebecca Burch, Ph.D. "Men throughout the history of the species who have invested all their time and energy in children who weren't theirs no longer have genes in the population."

They are, in other words, extinct.

When the stakes are this high, there is no greater deception than PD. It's a lie that reaches right down to your chromosomes, and when the truth finally comes out, the revelation can be devastating.
Quote:
But if we follow that claim, then that would mean I should hate my nephews and nieces since they're the offspring of another man.
well, I suppose if you're competing with other men for a romantic relationship with your sister, then perhaps you could apply my statement concerning romantic relationships between men and single mothers, (within this thread about romantic relationships between men and single mothers) to your familial life.

Last edited by solytaire; 04-12-2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 12:58 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
See ChessieMom! All these years I've kept our secret. And here you are blabbin about our first date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See how you are??????????
Yeah me and my big mouth!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Denny, were you raised by a single mother? There HAS to be a reason for that much passion and effort put into one single subject every single time it shows up.
No, I actually grew up in a healthy two-parent household with parents who are still happily married. But I know several women who are single mothers and I've even dated a couple. NONE come close to conforming to the stereotype that's been promoted on this and similar threads. That's why these threads get under my skin. I bet a lot of these people making broad generalizations about single mothers have either never met one or they don't really have a lot of experience with them.

Quote:
Besides the fact that Men's Health doesn't qualify as a scientific publication, I saw nothing the snippets you posted that support your claim that men detest children of other men. So men respond more favorably to children who look like them and the chances of their genes being passed on go down if they raise someone else's child. But how do you make the leap to detesting another man's child? This sounds more like your personal opinion.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
No, I actually grew up in a healthy two-parent household with parents who are still happily married. But I know several women who are single mothers and I've even dated a couple.
OK. Thanks for responding.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Besides the fact that Men's Health doesn't qualify as a scientific publication, I saw nothing the snippets you posted that support your claim that men detest children of other men. So men respond more favorably to children who look like them and the chances of their genes being passed on go down if they raise someone else's child. But how do you make the leap to detesting another man's child? This sounds more like your personal opinion.

Missing the forest for the trees...-- attacking the messenger while choosing to ignore the message...While Men's Health isnt a "scientific publication", obviously the researchers who concluded that men are evolutionarily designed to be attracted to their own offspring are academic researchers.

This however is a scientific publication in which the same study was published.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6H-47W917C-2&_user=10&_coverDate=03%2F31%2F2003&_rdoc=1&_fmt= high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_sear chStrId=1292306120&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C0000 50221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=24b9 7bdc6795b10d9c734da3f57cc787

You ask for support for my claim, I gave it to you, and now you're arguing semantics. Dislike vs. detest.

Really? We're going to argue about that now?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Missing the forest for the trees...-- attacking the messenger while choosing to ignore the message...While Men's Health isnt a "scientific publication", obviously the researchers who concluded that men are evolutionarily designed to be attracted to their own offspring are academic researchers.

This however is a scientific publication in which the same study was published.
ScienceDirect - Evolution and Human Behavior : How much paternal resemblance is enough? Sex differences in hypothetical investment decisions but not in the detection of resemblance

You ask for support for my claim, I gave it to you, and now you're arguing semantics. Dislike vs. detest.

Really? We're going to argue about that now?

Hi solytaire,

Works for me. Men like to invest in their own offspring.

Men's desire for children carrying their genes and... [Psychol Rep. 2005] - PubMed result

Men also like women, not babies. Women like babies more than men.

Eye Signals
Hess conducted a pupil response experiment by showing five pictures to respondents: a naked male, a naked female, a baby, a mother and baby, and a landscape. Predictably, men's pupils dilated most at the naked female, gay men dilated most at the naked male but women's pupils dilated most at the picture of the mother and baby with the naked male picture coming in second.

Conclusion? Naked men should hold infants when trying to attract women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships