Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 15,673 times

Advertisements

I was never trying to be down on you for being a single parent, just letting you know why we childless singles avoid you. Most of the ones that take offense on this blog ARE single parents, so....that speaks volumes.

My advise was to stop wasting your time on us and stick with those that are in the same boat to save many of you from the heartbreak of being dumped later. I am not talking just being dumped while dating, but even after you are married to the poor ******* that married you. The stats ae out there on this, so read them

Old 04-25-2010, 06:20 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,250,778 times
I have never been able to get a relationship off the ground with a guy who already had kids. He either railed about how the ex was a b***h or totally ignored the kid (which I find inappropriate), or was so involved with the kids that he didn't have time for a dating relationship.

I'm so glad that my sweetie is childfree, too!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,492 times
I dated a lady with two kids. We got along very well, and she wanted to know why I wasn't interested in getting married. I told her I didn't want to compete with her kids, and that I wouldn't think about getting married until her kids were out of the house. That was 18 years ago, and I still compete with her kids. We get along exceptionally well, but we still have heated words when it comes to her kids. Women and men just don't think the same when it comes to children. Would I do it again? I would like to say yes, but knowing what I know now, I probably would have done things differently. I have four children, she likes all of them and they like her as well, but none of them are losers that think the world owes them a living. All of them have very good jobs and pay their own way.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,017,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh what strange examples you chose! I'm the one that always is asked for advice on new computers - never the other way around. And a man making arrangements for a joint vacation? That would be lovely, but in my experience, that has ALWAYS been something the men never wanted to do.
The operative word in what I said is MEN. Meaning...real men. It's one thing to be okay sharing responsibilities with someone because you both have that agreement; but only a punk lets a female do the work because he's too lazy to do it. That's asking for a breakup.

I say it again - too many single parents (females, in my experience) don't understand that you don't have to shuffle other people to the back of your life just because you're a parent. Learn to strike a balance; if you can't, don't date, or at least don't date someone who doesn't have kids themselves. I agree with the notion that single parents should date single parents wholeheartedly. It just makes things easier for all.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 AM

37,581 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
The operative word in what I said is MEN. Meaning...real men. It's one thing to be okay sharing responsibilities with someone because you both have that agreement; but only a punk lets a female do the work because he's too lazy to do it. That's asking for a breakup.
I only date MEN, dear. Picking out a computer should be done by the one that is most knowledgeable. In every case, that has been me. Why do you consider that to be a guy thing???

And on the travel thing, most men, yes MEN, simply would rather someone else make the plans and keep them in the loop. I've discussed this very thing at work, not long ago.

My response to your post was simply laughing at the examples you chose. You don't seem like anyone that has had much experience with women that are intelligent, strong, and independent. Just because we are single moms, that fact doesn't make us an idiot.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,610 times
How many of you single parents would be singing the same tune if we replaced child with potential mother-in-law? How many of you would be willing to date someone who lives with and takes care of their mother?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Yes your own children will provide a richer experience, not someone elses lol. Hell, do you babysit for free because the "experience" is richer or do you expect payment for your labor? lol

I can just imagine being in one of those awkward moments when someone walks up to your family and says "gee golly....she looks just like you" and you respond"" ahem..*clears throat*...well...she's not really mines" lol.
Your not under any obligatin to explain anything. Reminds me of my brothers kids. The oldest one not his biologically. I was with the kids when a neighbor commented that the oldest kid looked just like my dad!. I just smiled and said thanks.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
How many of you single parents would be singing the same tune if we replaced child with potential mother-in-law? How many of you would be willing to date someone who lives with and takes care of their mother?
That is not all that uncommon either. Especially the last couple generations. Many of my older family memeber had older relatives living with them that they cared for.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:33 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That is not all that uncommon either. Especially the last couple generations. Many of my older family memeber had older relatives living with them that they cared for.
I have many family members who take care of or have taken care of older relatives too. However, the ones that are part of a couple were with their SO before they took in an ailing relative.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 AM

622 posts, read 1,279,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yes your own children will provide a richer experience, not someone elses lol. Hell, do you babysit for free because the "experience" is richer or do you expect payment for your labor? lol

I can just imagine being in one of those awkward moments when someone walks up to your family and says "gee golly....she looks just like you" and you respond"" ahem..*clears throat*...well...she's not really mines" lol.
LMAO.... this is very awkward. Happens to me all the time. My SO's daughter looks more like me than she does her father. People are always saying " oh is that your lil girl? She looks just like you". I just say "well actually no she not mine, but thanks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships