Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,964,277 times

Advertisements

I'm single and have been enjoying it, to my surprise.

What about you?

I've enjoyed it--well, enjoy might be too strong a word--how about preferred it for the past 14 years.

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples?

No, I didn't do valentines day when I wasn't single--again, preference--so I don't miss it now.

Are you putting up with being single until you're in a relationship?

I'm still single but have a man in my life I'd gladly give up for singleness for. I've had previous chances but couldn't say that til now --that I'd give it up, that is.

Do you feel lonely and long for companionship?

No, I didn't usually. I think it took that long to recover from a bad 19 year marriage.

What is the likelihood you'll be in a relationship or be married?

50/50. Maybe 40/60 leaning more toward the 40. Wait. 30/70ish.

Are you the envy of your married friends?

Who knows. Many people seem to like to make everyone think their lives are as near to perfection as you can get.

What do you hate about being single?

The independence.

What do you love about it?

The independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 PM

491 posts, read 1,043,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misswee View Post
I frigging LOVE being single... I am seeing a few people, but for valentines day etc, I have parties for all the other single people and it is a BLAST, because no one is getting nagged at to go home early, or to stop flirting with each other etc..... it rocks!!!

There is one person though, if he is who I think he is, it would absolutly rock to be married to him, funnest guy ever.
I LOVE being single also. My one year anniversary of being single is coming up shortly (May 8) and I'm truly considering throwing a party for it! lol
As samston also stated, I have no energy for being in a relationship right now. I'm too happy being selfish. I wont lie, however, yes it does get lonely sometimes. But luckily I have my committed friends to keep me in check. When they turn to me for relationship advice, I quietly thank my lucky stars that I dont have to deal with what they are dealing with.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,386,750 times
I'd rather be single, than be in a relationship I'm not enthralled with. Does that answer the question?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:41 PM

23 posts, read 32,778 times
I've found that being single is the only way proper way for me to live.

That said, I'd by lying if I said there aren't social repercussions that result from telling people you don't date. First of all, people (mostly women) love trying to set me up with their friends despite my insistence that I actually enjoy being single. Further, a lot of people try to find hidden meanings in my desire to stay single; I guess the fact that I simply don't want a relationship isn't reason enough for them. For example, people assume that I'm either gay, a bitter woman-hater, an anti-social weirdo (which is odd, because I have a lot of friends), or that I'm simply unable to get a date and I say I like being single as a cover to hide that fact.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,587,269 times
Quote:
SINGLE MEN & WOMEN: How do you really feel about being single?
I think it sucks.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,964,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think it sucks.
No matter how much you hate being single, so you marry, there will always be someone--if you're not careful--who could make you wish you were single again.

No matter how much you love being single, the right person can make you change your mind.

That's why I pretty much stay happy where I am. I can take it or leave it--being single or married. Mostly, I like being single.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,711,881 times
[quote=aqua0;13869435]I'm single and have been enjoying it, to my surprise.

What about you?

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples?

No, it's one of the perqs of living in modern times. There's a place for the un-coupled, too. Valentine's Day single events and promotions are very common in large cities.

When it first happened, I was in that "putting up" mode. Then I resolve to make the most of my circumstances and it's been pretty satisfying ever since. The attitude that one has to suffer through being single is sometimes tied to immaturity or shaky self-esteem. Not always.

Sometimes, I do. But imagine my surprise to learn that even very married people suffer from loneliness sometimes, too. Just as it is a sometimes thing for me. And if they did not choose their mate well, they too long for satisfying companionship. As you can see I don't buy the Hallmark Channel-style hype.

There is an extremely good likelihood that it will happen at some point. I'm patient with myself and prospective mates, because experience has taught me it pays to be a bit selective, it might take a minute, or not. My heart is open.

I think I am at times, but it's not like I rub it in their faces the way some people rub being paired off in single people's faces.

How some people in relationships think they know all about this experience I and other women like me are going through so they use labels like bitter, lonely, jealous, rejected. Says more about them than me. Personally I think it says theyr'e ignorant, but that's just me.

What do you love about it?[/quote]

The freedom and the power. I love men, it's just that when you're seriously involved, there are times when it feels a little restrictive, as if you're not grown anymore. As if you have no say in your own life. Singleness is great. I wouldn't want it to be permanent, and I don't think it will be. I could probably give it all up for the chance to "legally" spoon with THE guy who gets me, and we wind up with his and hers Jello dishes and rocking chairs.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,587,269 times
Whyte Byrd wrote:
Quote:
No matter how much you hate being single, so you marry, there will always be someone--if you're not careful--who could make you wish you were single again.
That's very true, I could unknowingly marry a distant relative of Lorena Bobbit or some woman who was planning to set up a big life insurance policy for me and then make it look like I died in an accident. I have known many married couples who were absolutely miserable and fight like cats and dogs so things could be worse. To be perfectly honest I have always felt badly that I've never been able to find a wife and I've probably let that emotion get the best of me to the point that it makes me feel like a failure in life. I realize that isn't rational but it's something that's churning around in my mind.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 PM

29,664 posts, read 34,173,104 times

Nope, many of my friends are coupled up, many aren't. It's no big whoop. I'd rather do what makes me happy than waste time fretting over what "society" wants.

Over my life, I've probably spent more time single than in a relationship, and I don't need a boyfriend to be happy.

My friends and family are awesome--I'm not lacking in companionship.

Don't know.

I don't think so, they're happy with the choices they made, and I'm happy with my choices. Though I often feel relief when I hear about being vomited on, or being up all night with a sick kid.

That there's not someone there to automatically have my back and help out, but like I said above--friends are good for that. Also the lack of regular sex, but that doesn't often bother me.

What do you love about it?

My life is my own. Right now, I'd have a hard time fitting a guy in.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:32 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,640,754 times
Ive had enpough bad relationships to last 2 lifetimes so I like being single...Im pretty much resigned to the fact I will never find someone that truly understands me and I can connect with on a really deep level and cares about the same things as I do.
Now that being said....I do still gotta do my thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships