Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:11 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
In today's world and society, do you think it is possible to have it all in terms of a successful career, a successful relationship/marriage, and family (kids)?

It seems like that being a high-earner and hard-worker is desirable by women (not all), but usually that requires long hours, travel, and stress. However, at what price does that come at?

I just notice a lot of successful men (high-ranking corporate types and entrepreneurs) have a hard time keeping it all together. I know one who, despite being a roaring successful and wealthy men in his profession, has had a divorce and a kid he doesn't get to see much.

I guess in a way, are go-getting, conquer-the-world type men wired differently from your next-door, everyday guys (who might not have the six-to-seven-figure incomes, but a lot more time)? Is this true for women?

Could this be part of the unrealistic expectations that we have today in dating, marriage, and life?
"All" is subjective based upon your wants\needs. I know some people that have it "all" and others that have more than that and feel they aren't even close to having it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 02:25 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
"All" is subjective based upon your wants\needs. I know some people that have it "all" and others that have more than that and feel they aren't even close to having it all.
great point as usual mathguy

Old 04-24-2010, 06:04 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
I think it is very hard for a woman to have an extremely successful career together with a very happy and content family and children. Most of the time, very career oriented women don't spend enough time with their children.
It is possible for those who have brains and realize that working from home with a home based business while getting residuals is a very successful way to make money AND not jeopardize the time with your family.

On the other hand, for me, the most important thing is to be at peace with myself and have a healthy child and husband. If I have that, I'm happy.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
As far as your specific question is concerned about beautiful wife, children, family, money etc. I think of Brad Pitt. This guy is super rich, well loved and respected by his peers, fans and employers, has great family life, is generally considered one of the most handsome men in the world, and gets to go home to Angelina Jole at night. This guy is the epitome of "having it all".
Have you seen Brad Pitt lately? He looks like a wreck. Ever since he has been with Angelina, he has aged 30 years. This guy definitely doesn't have it all and I can see that through TV.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:20 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
Nobody can have it "all". However, I've found that the best path in an imperfect world is to have a little bit of everything. By contrast, the surest way to unhappiness is to put all of one's eggs in one basket. I am a big believer in moderation, and that it should extend even to one's involvement with family.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
In today's world and society, do you think it is possible to have it all in terms of a successful career, a successful relationship/marriage, and family (kids)?
I'm going to

Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Nobody can have it "all". However, I've found that the best path in an imperfect world is to have a little bit of everything. By contrast, the surest way to unhappiness is to put all of one's eggs in one basket. I am a big believer in moderation, and that it should extend even to one's involvement with family.
I agree, and most people who seemingly "have it all" want more because what they have is never enough.

I prefer and try to remind myself to be grateful for what I have (could be much worse) and to continually strive for better.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
This guy has been trying forever.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:43 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, you utterly misread the original post. Truth be told, it was a reflective, philosophical question that said absolutely nothing about comparing oneself to others, but rather trying to decide when someone should be content with what one has in life. I really wish you would start doing a better job of reading these posts, rather than looking for opportunities to thunder your disapproval down on others.
Thanks. It was a reflective, philosophical question in the way you describe.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,571 times
I don't think anyone has it all but many people are content and happy with their contentment. There's always new highs that can be reached but with those new highs will come sacrifice and depending on how badly the person wants the high will determine whether or not it's worth the sacrifice. But I do believe with everything their is sacrifice and a price which makes it impossible for anyone to actually have it all. As there's no way to have it all when you have to loose something in order to gain something else.

You choose the things in life in which you get the most joy and fulfillment from and that should allow you a happy existence which at the end of the day, is the only thing that matters.

As far as Brad Pitt, I do not believe he has it all. I think he would have had it all if he was still married to Jen and SHE had his kids instead of Angie. The fact that he hasn't married her says a lot despite all the kids she has given him. I don't think David B. has it all because he's a athlete and all athletes complain about being away from their families and I'm sure he's no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships