Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Do you live in Bradenton?

I don't even OWN a car...so it's hard to go anywhere else.

no, i do not...but you are sounding better all the time!
one of my dreams has been to live and work somewhere i did not need to own a car. Certain jobs and towns I have been able to do that, it was wonderful, i loved it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
what makes you a snob is how you treat other human beings.

I don't think of myself as being above anyone because of my tastes.

Snobbery is purely an attitude.
yes yes yes
thank you for this Moose!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 PM

19,384 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no, i do not...but you are sounding better all the time!
one of my dreams has been to live and work somewhere i did not need to own a car. Certain jobs and towns I have been able to do that, it was wonderful, i loved it
You guys didn't even need Chuck Woolery.

Spinx, I'm not sure how to answer. I'm sure your dilemma happens all the time, but it's got to create friction and frustration. You know what they say, the No. 1 reason people break up is money. Anyway, I suppose it depends on how much you like the guy.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 04-25-2010 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Never answered Spinxy's question...

Old 04-25-2010, 01:12 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt until you said he is obnoxious about it. Then yes, he is a snob. Often people like this are very self-centered and will drive away any relationship unless that person is snob-like too.

So if you are not into material things as much, or being around an obnoxious man makes you cringe, then no it will not last. You will grow tired of his antics.

I don't think someone is a snob because they like nice things...it's when they are rude, obnoxious and put other's down that I have a problem with.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Here's what I think is so hysterical about some of you guys.

Snobbery is the desire to feel superior to someone else based on the material possessions of that other person. It is the impulse to think to oneself, "I am better than that other person because they have ________ while I have ____________."

If you guys would stop congratulating yourself long enough to actually gain some self-awareness, you would realize that you're guilty of precisely that behavior in yourself. You're saying, "Wow, X enjoys [Eating at nice restaurants/Driving a Lexus/Wearing nice clothes], so that makes him/her a snob. I'm glad I'm not that person. Because of my far simpler tastes, I am a better person."

Of course, it never occurs to you, in that circumstance, that not only are you a snob yourself, but you're quite the hypocrite to boot. Because you are using shallow and material yardsticks with which to judge others in a lame attempt to elevate yourself in the process. Pretty damned funny when you think about it.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-25-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 01:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yeah. I dated a snob. Everything was lame. Everyone was annoying. Unless something was high end, it was garbage.

What's funny is that she came from a middle class background, so I don't know where she picked up those tendencies.

It's lame and it's gonna get old.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
A snob isnt about your tastes or money you spend its having a sense of entitlement or thinking you're better then somebody..

In fact people who call people snobs because they like expensive clothes and not just jeans and a t shirt are "snobs"

Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
A snob isnt about your tastes or money you spend its having a sense of entitlement or thinking you're better then somebody..

In fact people who call people snobs because they like expensive clothes and not just jeans and a t shirt are "snobs"
Exactly. I've found people who sling around the term in those situations are actually deeply insecure people who need to label others in order to feel good about themselves.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:01 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Exactly. I've found people who sling around the term in those situations are actually deeply insecure people who need to label others in order to feel good about themselves.
Yup..Dont get me wrong theres obviously people out there who spend money and look down on others who dont but its not the majority and somebdy who likes nice things shouldnt automtically be branded a snob..

Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
If he judges people by how expensive their clothes are and how fancy their cars are, than hell yes, he is a snob. A shallow snob.

Is this the case?
Haha...yeah he is a snob, but I think maybe with good reason. Maybe he came from nothing and wants the better things in life. Plus it seems he wants the best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships