Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:36 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
I am black and proud!![insert black fist here]
I'd never in a million yrs picture you to be a black person....

What got in your head to post such a strange thread. Black folks have different criteria for successful relationships?

Bazaar.

Aren't we all people?? Jeeze

Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:
So what's the time limit on dating?? It seems to me that insecure women are in a rush to lock a man down cause they feel that as time passes their chance may pass. I am not ready to walk down the aisle. If it aint broke don't fix it. He is here because he wants to be, not because a piece of paper makes it more convenient for him to be. As far as the money goes, we agreed that we wouldn't take vows until each of us has paid down our school debt, so...... I am not worried about marriage, a piece a paper can't keep a man. I am concerned with the marriage state of mind, you don't need a wedding for that. But thanks though....
If that makes you feel better, so be it.

Studies have been done that show there is a switch that flips when a man gets married - one that is not turned on (or perhaps not as strong) when he's just dating or cohabitating.

There are a lot of unmarried baby mommas who have been in your position.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Quote:
What does anyone else have to do with my relationship with my man??? Side from the fact that I am asking for advice from everyone else??? I don't care about the way other people treat me, the question was about my relationship with my man!!! I care about how he treats me. Can you read?? Its ok, my friends' 8 month old can't read either.
You asked about a BLACK relationship as though it's different than any other relationship so I'm pointing out to you that being BLACK has nothing to do with whether or not your relationship succeeds or fails. If you don't want people to comment on a BLACK relationship you shouldn't ask about how to sustain healthy BLACK relationship, you should ask how to sustain a healthy relationship, period and THAT'S the answer you will get.

Quite frankly, if you haven't figured out how to have a HEALTHY relationship in SEVEN years, no one here can help you.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
I am 29 and I have been with my boyfriend for seven years. We have a pretty good relationship, I am just interested in how to keep it healthy and happy. I am particularly interested in what other black men have to say but appreciate all input. What are some complaints that black men have with black women?? What are some warning signs to look for if things start to go awry??

We are planning to get married when we can afford it, needless to say its not at the top of our list.

Thanks.

I read the OP and absolutely NOTHING else in this post.

I am a white male, age 42, middle-middle class, military and lower-income farming background.

Just letting you know this is NOT a black man's opinion since you stated that's what you're really interested in.

You make black people a mystery to me. I go through life knowing there are some cultural differences here and there but thinking surely to God that has more to do with where one grows up than with anything to do with RACE.

So whether a black man is from the inner city (which would lend a certain flavor to his personality, just as it would with a white person, as opposed to other black or white people)...

...or from the rural South (again, black or white, there will be certain subtleties or nuances which will vary according to how they grow up)...

...or from the industrial North...

...or the wilds of the Canadian bush...

...or from the Golden West...

...I strongly suspect that black men want from a black woman what MEN want from WOMEN, which is a cooperative partner who enjoys us and allows us to enjoy them.

That's as basic as it gets and everything else (I do mean EVERYTHING) varies according to the person.

I base this on my experience with black people, which I find correlates amazingly to my experience with people of any colour, which is to say:

SOME of you are absolutely AMAZING and some of you are just unbelievable arse-holes.

I suggest you worry less about what "black men" want out of you and spend more time figuring out what YOU want out of a partner. It will help you narrow down your search quite a lot.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 AM

44 posts, read 42,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I read the OP and absolutely NOTHING else in this post.

I am a white male, age 42, middle-middle class, military and lower-income farming background.

Just letting you know this is NOT a black man's opinion since you stated that's what you're really interested in.

You make black people a mystery to me. I go through life knowing there are some cultural differences here and there but thinking surely to God that has more to do with where one grows up than with anything to do with RACE.

So whether a black man is from the inner city (which would lend a certain flavor to his personality, just as it would with a white person, as opposed to other black or white people)...

...or from the rural South (again, black or white, there will be certain subtleties or nuances which will vary according to how they grow up)...

...or from the industrial North...

...or the wilds of the Canadian bush...

...or from the Golden West...

...I strongly suspect that black men want from a black woman what MEN want from WOMEN, which is a cooperative partner who enjoys us and allows us to enjoy them.

That's as basic as it gets and everything else (I do mean EVERYTHING) varies according to the person.

I base this on my experience with black people, which I find correlates amazingly to my experience with people of any colour, which is to say:

SOME of you are absolutely AMAZING and some of you are just unbelievable arse-holes.

I suggest you worry less about what "black men" want out of you and spend more time figuring out what YOU want out of a partner. It will help you narrow down your search quite a lot.

I read the first sentence and absolutely nothing else in this post.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
You asked about a BLACK relationship as though it's different than any other relationship so I'm pointing out to you that being BLACK has nothing to do with whether or not your relationship succeeds or fails. If you don't want people to comment on a BLACK relationship you shouldn't ask about how to sustain healthy BLACK relationship, you should ask how to sustain a healthy relationship, period and THAT'S the answer you will get.

Quite frankly, if you haven't figured out how to have a HEALTHY relationship in SEVEN years, no one here can help you.

What are you talking about?? Do you even know?? SMDH...

Old 05-09-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
If that makes you feel better, so be it.

Studies have been done that show there is a switch that flips when a man gets married - one that is not turned on (or perhaps not as strong) when he's just dating or cohabitating.

There are a lot of unmarried baby mommas who have been in your position.
I am sorry that you are a baby momma, I'm sure that's why you are so sure of yourself. I appreciate your advice.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'd never in a million yrs picture you to be a black person....

What got in your head to post such a strange thread. Black folks have different criteria for successful relationships?

Bazaar.

Aren't we all people?? Jeeze

LOL!!! Your scaring me....

Old 05-09-2010, 11:45 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
I read the first sentence and absolutely nothing else in this post.
Well then your question was answered "past that point."

Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Quote:
I am 29 and I have been with my boyfriend for seven years. We have a pretty good relationship, I am just interested in how to keep it healthy and happy. I am particularly interested in what other black men have to say but appreciate all input. What are some complaints that black men have with black women?? What are some warning signs to look for if things start to go awry??

We are planning to get married when we can afford it, needless to say its not at the top of our list.

Thanks.

May I ask why there needs to be a specific 'Black" designation, to this question?

I mean.....men....women.......women....men.........i sn't that what it's all about?

How is a "Black" relationship any different than a White, Hispanic or whatever race relationship?

Is there a special 'Black" Relationship nuance I'm not aware of? Is there a Handbook for it? You know, like ........" Black Relationships For Dummies ..." or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships