Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,467,349 times

Advertisements

Unless you have significant problems that require professional help, I think it would be far better to seek out some good (and that's a slippery concept!) books on relationships, read them, and discuss them together. Putting your thoughts and values out for each other is going to highlight the similarities and differences, and get you talking about them. Communication is key!

We've done that, and it certainly clarified a lot of issues and opinions for us, and prevented some stupid misunderstandings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Unless you have significant problems that require professional help, I think it would be far better to seek out some good (and that's a slippery concept!) books on relationships, read them, and discuss them together. Putting your thoughts and values out for each other is going to highlight the similarities and differences, and get you talking about them. Communication is key!

We've done that, and it certainly clarified a lot of issues and opinions for us, and prevented some stupid misunderstandings.
I totally agree with this.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I remember this thread! What did I say in 2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Of course the marriage counselor would say that. More money for him!

I can think of 100 things I'd sooner spend my money on.
Yep, still think that.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:09 AM

6 posts, read 6,519 times
Exclamation We are going to counseling, and soon... Or else IT just MIGHT happen.

I love my SO... but she has decided that arousal isn't important, especially [bleep]. In her mind, I should just go ahead and turn myself on and apply it to her afterwards.

It may be because she doesn't recall how we were in our younger days, or that she doesn't have the energy left. Maybe it is her body-self-image (We could BOTH lose a lot of weight.) Either way it is death to our sex-life.

Granted, she has been in school and working part-time, but she has forgotten her place in our relationship - It isn't just a one-way street. BTW, I also worked full-time and went to school full-time for several years while she was a stay at-home mom. (This was between deployments in the USN.)

I am going to be happy, one way or the other... I refuse to just sit idly by and let the far-end of my life arrive: They will have to carry me out of this world kicking and screaming because I am not going out without a fight! To that end, I have joined Gold's Gym, and have an agenda to recover the body I let go years ago, (before we slipped into the coma of complacency.)

In the mean time, I am not the affair type, but am starting to arrive at the conclusion that she couldn't care less. Sure there would be jealousy, but there won't be any attempt at "Damage Control" before it happens. Only blame on me and/or self-recrimination afterwards.

I have no idea who. I don't want it all, but am growing more and more dissatisfied.
- I am not asking for acrobatics here, I am just asking for a good-faith joint effort to get us in shape and re-eroticize our marriage, (and to NEVER let it get back here again.)

Based on her reaction (or lack thereof), I am afraid that at some point I will slip and fall into an accidental screw-up with permanent damage to our marriage. She says she cares ("I'm sorry you are in so much pain.") but then isn't even remotely willing to do something as simple as a BJ to prove it (Oral sex is now "against her religion.") I have asked her to just go walk with me on a daily basis, but no ("Not enough time, not on a Sunday, too tired, etc.). Work out with me? No. Go figure. Yet "She cares"...

We have nothing in common.
Ergo: disaster.

Your thoughts? Criticisms, etc.?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-07-2015 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Not PG-13.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 475 times
I agree 100%. If my husband and I had gone to counseling when we were in a good place we wouldn't be separated and facing divorce after a 25 year marriage and 27 year relationship. Marriages just don't fall apart unexpectedly, the small offenses we brush under the rug from both parties build before you ever know there's a huge explosion. Then it is usually too late even if you think you have a strong bond and can endure anything with love.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Failure rate for marriage counseling is 90%
Added note -the day the object of counseling ceases to be the man -is the day the counseling is terminated

Old 08-12-2019, 11:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
I think I'd prefer a marriage retreat, as opposed to counseling. I consider myself to be in a good, strong marriage, but I can get behind the idea of fine tuning it I guess.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:20 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,963 times
Why bother with paying for marraige counseling when there is plenty of counseling available online for free?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWzI_Wn0ZwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_y...?v=9y2Yr1wxRzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_yZDeUJRs

Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
I knew someone once who was a marriage counselor and he told me that by the time the couple went to him the marriage was already in such bad shape that his job was almost impossible. The marriage counselor would have preferred that the couples would have come to him when their marriage was still basically strong but needed some fine tuning.

Have you been to a marriage counselor and would you consider going to one if your marriage was basically good? Or would you wait until there was serious problems?

A marriage is not a car.

Most of the time, you know if there's something wrong with a marriage. It's called a lack of honest communication. That marriage counselor is just trying to drum up business.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Failure rate for marriage counseling is 90%
Added note -the day the object of counseling ceases to be the man -is the day the counseling is terminated
I don't know why I bothered to check, but that's not what research says.

Anyway, no, I probably wouldn't go to counseling for that. There are cheaper ways to strengthen a solid relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships