Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:31 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I feel as though we are stuck in a rut, life....is it all you thought it would or should be? What now? Hows the relationships, not just with the S O, but everyone?
Everything feels so played out. Same thing everyday, same people, same stores, same faces, same job. SAME EVERYTHING.
Do you ever feel like you want and need a MAJOR change?
New job, new friends, new environment.
Or, do you enjoy your job, life and area that you live. If so what is your occupation and what do you like about it. How about your friends and family, how do you keep it all fresh? What area are you from and what do you like about it?
If you are feeling content, what makes you feel this way?
I feel like a "gypsy" always want to be on the move, seeing and meeting new people.
If you feel like a "wanderer" how do you satify the urge to seek new things?
is it all you thought it would or should be? What now? Hows the relationships, not just with the S O, but everyone?

Not what I thought it would be. Since I can only control my reactions within certain limits , 'should be' is a pipe dream.
Relationships suffice for the moment. Nu guarantees so I just enjoy them for the moments of peace that exist.

Every waking moment.

Or, do you enjoy your job, life and area that you live. If so what is your occupation and what do you like about it. How about your friends and family, how do you keep it all fresh?

I do not enjoy my job, my life or the area in which I live. And there is no job that I can think of that currently exists that I would actually enjoy on a daily basis.
There is one type of contract work I could do, and I could probably do a few jobs in that and retire if I could get the proper training and contacts to do it.

I have a desk job. It pays okay based on the cost of living in my city.
My friends and I rarely speak now. They are either married, moved far away, incarcerated or dead.
My adoptive family pretty much disowned me because I chose not to be Christian.
Even though I still help them out, and visit when they ask, I keep the conversations short and leave as soon as possible.
Except for some of my cousins, my brothers and sister near my age and my aunt and uncle.

I would do volunteer work but I hate making small talk. So I just donate anonymously to charities of my choice and
sometimes may buy clothes and food to give to the homeless folks. They do not know me from adam and I am usually in a cap and sunglasses so
its pretty comfortable to do.

I wish.

At current fictional works in different kinds of media in my free time satisfy my urges. I can fully immerse myself into them to the point the outside world seems not to exist.
And my trips to just go out and spend a few days in nature also help with that.
Otherwise unless I achieve certain goals I have, I am resigned to the fact that I will never be content or happy.
======================

Now that my semi rant/answer has ended all I can suggest is that you keep seeking out new things and changes until you find something that suits you and your S.O.

Good luck and I wish you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Looking to make a change.

Quote:
I feel as though we are stuck in a rut, life....is it all you thought it would or should be? What now? Hows the relationships, not just with the S O, but everyone?
Everything feels so played out. Same thing everyday, same people, same stores, same faces, same job. SAME EVERYTHING.
Or, do you enjoy your job, life and area that you live. If so what is your occupation and what do you like about it. How about your friends and family, how do you keep it all fresh? What area are you from and what do you like about it?
I feel like a "gypsy" always want to be on the move, seeing and meeting new people.
I've never had the feelings that you describe. Most of my life I've had the money to travel and vacation almost any time I wanted to. But to have that money, you have to work either hard or smart, which I did. Going on a cruise is one of the best vacations for the money you can have. Just taking a week off work and going some place you both want to visit is another option. If you're really burnt out, maybe you need to move to another state. CD is a good place to inquire about what other people like about living where they live. While you're letting all these thoughts run through yur mind, think about one other thing: Think how lucky you were to be born in the United States of America, and at the time you were born. You don't have the hardships our ancestors had, working conditions are much better now than they used to be, so far most of us have enough to eat and are able to feed our families. Look around at others, no matter how bad off you think you are, there are always others who have to struggle just to live.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
is it all you thought it would or should be? What now? Hows the relationships, not just with the S O, but everyone?

Not what I thought it would be. Since I can only control my reactions within certain limits , 'should be' is a pipe dream.
Relationships suffice for the moment. Nu guarantees so I just enjoy them for the moments of peace that exist.

Every waking moment.

Or, do you enjoy your job, life and area that you live. If so what is your occupation and what do you like about it. How about your friends and family, how do you keep it all fresh?

I do not enjoy my job, my life or the area in which I live. And there is no job that I can think of that currently exists that I would actually enjoy on a daily basis.
There is one type of contract work I could do, and I could probably do a few jobs in that and retire if I could get the proper training and contacts to do it.

I have a desk job. It pays okay based on the cost of living in my city.
My friends and I rarely speak now. They are either married, moved far away, incarcerated or dead.
My adoptive family pretty much disowned me because I chose not to be Christian.
Even though I still help them out, and visit when they ask, I keep the conversations short and leave as soon as possible.
Except for some of my cousins, my brothers and sister near my age and my aunt and uncle.

I would do volunteer work but I hate making small talk. So I just donate anonymously to charities of my choice and
sometimes may buy clothes and food to give to the homeless folks. They do not know me from adam and I am usually in a cap and sunglasses so
its pretty comfortable to do.

I wish.

At current fictional works in different kinds of media in my free time satisfy my urges. I can fully immerse myself into them to the point the outside world seems not to exist.
And my trips to just go out and spend a few days in nature also help with that.
Otherwise unless I achieve certain goals I have, I am resigned to the fact that I will never be content or happy.
======================

Now that my semi rant/answer has ended all I can suggest is that you keep seeking out new things and changes until you find something that suits you and your S.O.

Good luck and I wish you well.
In short, "I'm unhappy, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it, but mask my inherent laziness with a bunch of pseudo-philosophical nonsense."

Hey, life's a banquet. It's your fault you choose to starve to death.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I've done it several times, and I'm glad I did it.

The first time was immediately after college when my father dropped dead. At the time, I thought I had a lot of friends. They would always call up, wanting to hang out, etc. But when my dad died, the phone went silent. I heard nothing from any of them for two weeks. Didn't call. Didn't come to the funeral. Nothing. Then two weeks later, they called me back up as if nothing had happened. I cut them all loose and set out to get a better set of friends.

The second time was when I was working a grueling job for a married couple. It was the biggest sweatshop ever. I was literally working 80- and 90-hour weeks for coolie wages. Finally, after three years, I said to myself, "What the hell I am doing?" I turned in my notice and never looked back. Had a great job two weeks later.

The third time? I was dating this nightmarish string of girls. All of them were these artistic and neurotic types who always had tons of personal drama. My God, it was draining. So sat down and made a list of all the qualities these nightmarish women had in common, and then refused to date any woman like that again. Three months later, I met my wife.

And I'd like to say another thing. If you are deeply unhappy with your life, your career, and anything else you care to name, unless there's a chronic, clinically-diagnosed disease involved (Not some pseudo disease like alcoholism), IT'S YOUR OWN DAMNED FAULT.

Let me say that again. If you're unhappy, it's your own fault you're unhappy. It's nobody else's fault but your own that you're lonely, unemployable, broke, addicted, unfulfilled, friendless, and anything else in life that constitutes a void. Suck it up, and do something about it. I will give all the support in the world to somebody who tries. I don't give a rip for somebody who won't. I mean there are people on this very forum who spend their days and nights mewling about their lives, but are too lazy to get their asses in gear.

In short, there are times when we are the prisoner of our choices, and are miserable as a result. Either you can do something about it or remain miserable. Those with the balls to do something about their lives wind up a lot happier than the people who don't, even if they have to go through a rough patch while they do it.
Oh boy, do I hope you are right!!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
Quote:
I've done it several times, and I'm glad I did it.

The first time was immediately after college when my father dropped dead. At the time, I thought I had a lot of friends. They would always call up, wanting to hang out, etc. But when my dad died, the phone went silent. I heard nothing from any of them for two weeks. Didn't call. Didn't come to the funeral. Nothing. Then two weeks later, they called me back up as if nothing had happened. I cut them all loose and set out to get a better set of friends.

The second time was when I was working a grueling job for a married couple. It was the biggest sweatshop ever. I was literally working 80- and 90-hour weeks for coolie wages. Finally, after three years, I said to myself, "What the hell I am doing?" I turned in my notice and never looked back. Had a great job two weeks later.

The third time? I was dating this nightmarish string of girls. All of them were these artistic and neurotic types who always had tons of personal drama. My God, it was draining. So sat down and made a list of all the qualities these nightmarish women had in common, and then refused to date any woman like that again. Three months later, I met my wife.

And I'd like to say another thing. If you are deeply unhappy with your life, your career, and anything else you care to name, unless there's a chronic, clinically-diagnosed disease involved (Not some pseudo disease like alcoholism), IT'S YOUR OWN DAMNED FAULT.

Let me say that again. If you're unhappy, it's your own fault you're unhappy. It's nobody else's fault but your own that you're lonely, unemployable, broke, addicted, unfulfilled, friendless, and anything else in life that constitutes a void. Suck it up, and do something about it. I will give all the support in the world to somebody who tries. I don't give a rip for somebody who won't. I mean there are people on this very forum who spend their days and nights mewling about their lives, but are too lazy to get their asses in gear.

In short, there are times when we are the prisoner of our choices, and are miserable as a result. Either you can do something about it or remain miserable. Those with the balls to do something about their lives wind up a lot happier than the people who don't, even if they have to go through a rough patch while they do it.
OK, First of all, I never said I was broke,addicted, unemployable or any of the other things that you rattled off.

Just going through a "mid life reflection" ..what if................now what?????

Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I've never had the feelings that you describe. Most of my life I've had the money to travel and vacation almost any time I wanted to. But to have that money, you have to work either hard or smart, which I did. Going on a cruise is one of the best vacations for the money you can have. Just taking a week off work and going some place you both want to visit is another option. If you're really burnt out, maybe you need to move to another state. CD is a good place to inquire about what other people like about living where they live. While you're letting all these thoughts run through yur mind, think about one other thing: Think how lucky you were to be born in the United States of America, and at the time you were born. You don't have the hardships our ancestors had, working conditions are much better now than they used to be, so far most of us have enough to eat and are able to feed our families. Look around at others, no matter how bad off you think you are, there are always others who have to struggle just to live.
We take a nice vacation every summer.
Its not about the money, how much I have or don't.
It's bigger than that.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,516 times
Quote:
In short, "I'm unhappy, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it, but mask my inherent laziness with a bunch of pseudo-philosophical nonsense."

Hey, life's a banquet. It's your fault you choose to starve to death.

Interesting viewpoint.
Since I refuse to be satisfied with nothing less than achievement of my personal goals, I am labeled lazy........ and starving to death.....

Quite original. how did you think of that?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 AM

Well I got a change and not in a good way. I originally started this post on May 3 and on May 5, my husband was laid off. Things have gone from bad to worse. We couldn't pay the rent and had to move in with my daughter with 3 kids in tow. This has not been a great experience, I'm trying to look at it as a little "speed bump" on the road of life. A few years ago my daughter and husband needed to stay with us for 5 months, I hope it is quicker for us, Our house was much bigger and with 3 kids we are sleeping in the living room, its survival mode right now.To make things even worse the tension between my husband and I is incredible. We celebrated our 16th anniversary the week before moving in here, yippeee. A few days ago the the diamong fell out of my wedding ring, we can't find it (because its very small) so I took off the ring. It feels like one thing after another. My husband found work through his union, it was a 5 month job building wind towers, he would be out of town during the week and home on weekends but the money was good and it would put us back on our feet. The funny thing is, he went down to the job last week and the contractor lost the contract on the third day. So now he is home. I guess we could look at this as one big vacation. lol,,,, If I don't laugh, I will cry.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,440 times
Quote:
I feel the same way more or less you do. I am sick of my job, the people who work there, my family and my environment.

I want to move to Florida badly but have to wait until my daughter finishes High School in 3 more years and that is wayyyyyyy tooooo long.

In the meantime I try to remain sane because if I stress over things I cannot change at the present then I will totally lose it.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Do something everyday out of your comfort zone.

One weekend, just go on a flight or coach to another city, and spend the day milling about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships