Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times

Advertisements

If threads are never allowed to repeat or be revived because someone feels topics are old and/or boring or have been adequately covered, CD will simply close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
A guy who is not a violent man ,but if provoked he will engage in fisticuffs as per the rules of the Marquis of Queensbury. Maybe he been in duel before,
All kidding aside, I consider myself a gentleman but I don't make an extreme effort unless the female is
60-ish or over. Younger women are too quick to misconstrue my intentions

Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
A guy who is not a violent man ,but if provoked he will engage in fisticuffs as per the rules of the Marquis of Queensbury. Maybe he been in duel before,
All kidding aside, I consider myself a gentleman but I don't make an extreme effort unless the female is
60-ish or over. Younger women are too quick to misconstrue my intentions
That's part of what defines a gentleman though, in my opinion. Not being a decent, polite person because of the response or reaction, but because it's the right thing to do, regardless of consequence.

And I've never considered being a gentleman something solely towards females, it's behaving properly towards men as well.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
What traits does a person need to be deemed a gentleman?
"It is almost a definition of a gentleman to say that he is one who never inflicts pain."

John Henry Cardinal Newman

Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times
"It is almost a definition of pizza to make a plain focaccia."

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
"It is almost a definition of pizza to make a plain focaccia."
And...

"Gentlemen prefer blondes!"

Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Humility, compassion, honesty, integrity, patience, and courage.

This has been asked so many times on here I've bookmarked John Walter Wayland's [URL="http://www.daytoncircus.org/?q=node/243"]The True Gentleman[/URL].

Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
On the contrary, a gentleman defends those who are weak or helpless. We admire men who are strong but if their strength is not directed to uphold what is good, what value does it have? I believe the virtues of a gentleman give purpose and meaning to male strength and supports who men are when they are at their best.

An ideal worth striving for.
Any man who denigrates gentlemen could not be mistaken for one himself.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 AM

437 posts, read 675,076 times
Quote:
Anyone who tramples on courtesy to get what they want is no lady or gentleman.

If being a gentleman is for "suckers", then what does it mean to be a man?
It means understanding your goals and going after them in a moral way without concern for how others perceive you.

It's about doing things because you want to do them, not because you want to fit in or please others.

Chivlary- hah. It's dead and women killed it. Men try to be gentlemen or good men only to be taken advantage of by women in general as well as society as a whole.

Everyone is out for themselves: learn it now and adjust.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM

437 posts, read 675,076 times
Quote:
On the contrary, a gentleman defends those who are weak or helpless. We admire men who are strong but if their strength is not directed to uphold what is good, what value does it have? I believe the virtues of a gentleman give purpose and meaning to male strength and supports who men are when they are at their best.

An ideal worth striving for.
Why is this limited to only a man?

Why should we defend the weak and helpless- have we now police officers and soldiers who are PAID to do that? You can be an unpaid bodyguard if you want but I am not putting my life on the line for a society that spits on me. I will not die attempting to defend a stranger who may have very well brought this onto him or herself.

See that little child wandering alone, looking for mommy? Try to help and you might find yourself staring at a judge as he sentences you for attempted kidnapping and child rape.

Some teenager (around 15) recently tried to help a child find her mother. Idiot boy left the store with the girl, thinking the mother was outside. When he comes back, he was arrested. The police, last I heard, are refusing to drop the charges.

Sorry but when society punishes those who try to do the right thing, we will stop doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships