Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,371 times

Advertisements

Exactly, common courtesy has no gender. I don't see why women can't offer chivalry to men as well.

If we are going to accept chivalry then why not accept racism as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times
I like to tell the men ''gentlemen first '' when getting out of a lift or the door .That ALWAYS throws them off and they insist I go first .) Only twice or thrice have they dared to- even after I repeat myself- and ONLY because they were in a major hurry (punctuality is Godliness here).Maybe because the women here are aggresive .

Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
I like to tell the men ''gentlemen first '' when getting out of a lift or the door .That ALWAYS throws them off and they insist I go first .) Only twice or thrice have they dared to- even after I repeat myself- and ONLY because they were in a major hurry (punctuality is Godliness here).Maybe because the women here are aggresive .
See, the thing is that men are taught from an early age that a real man does all kinds of things for a woman. Parents teaching their sons to do all those things for a woman or they won't be considered a gentleman and so on. It's a western thing to grow up with that kind of tradition up to a point that men feel emasculated if they don't do those things or they won't score with a girl if they don't treat her way up in that priviledged level that women get (chivalry). Men like the ones you mentioned feel bad for "not fulfilling their role as a gentleman" sine society pressures men to do so.

Still, I find chivalry utterly sexist and discriminatory unless women offered it as well. As sexist as saying that women belong in the kitchen. As bad as racism.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Still, I find chivalry utterly sexist and discriminatory unless women offered it as well. As sexist as saying that women belong in the kitchen. As bad as racism.
Then don't practice chivalry. Practice common courtesy and respect, which is genderless.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Then don't practice chivalry. Practice common courtesy and respect, which is genderless.
Would you practice chivalry towards men? I am not talking about giving them a smile, greeting men, etc. I am talking about the whole chivalry package. I find it interesting how women love chivalry but don't do anything to offer it as well. Still, chivalry went as far as having men look bad if they don't act that way towards women. So you have men who are pressured to be that way just like the scene that Gudra mentioned.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:04 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
You are really hung up on chivalry. Actual chivalry is an outdated medieval concept. I don't expect a man to lay his jacket over a mud puddle so I don't dirty my shoe or go off on a crusade to prove his worthiness. I do expect men to treat me (treat everyone, actually) with respect, courtesy, and thoughtfulness, and I (and everyone else) should do the same.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:00 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,932 times
A man who wont curse every 5 seconds in my presence, he holds open doors, pulls out my chair, who has manners and is considerate.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
A gentleman is a man who makes the effort to rise from his seat and stand when meeting you, and shakes your hand warmly.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:15 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,479 times
I am the classic gentleman--I provide a courtesy flush.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You are really hung up on chivalry. Actual chivalry is an outdated medieval concept. I don't expect a man to lay his jacket over a mud puddle so I don't dirty my shoe or go off on a crusade to prove his worthiness. I do expect men to treat me (treat everyone, actually) with respect, courtesy, and thoughtfulness, and I (and everyone else) should do the same.
So you do find it pointless for men to stand up when you go to the ladies room and stand back up when you come back, and do all the other things that have been mentioned here, right? I do. It makes no sense specially if women are not willing to offer it exactly the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships