Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 AM

512 posts, read 1,434,251 times

Advertisements

hi,
what's the process for getting 'actually' married?
aside from the reception and the ceremony, which i understand to be only for 'presentation' purposes, i know that the couple need to go to the court house....

but when?

when are you 'actually' considered married?

ps. we're not doing a church wedding. it's just basically a party where a person from the county is coming over for a half hour to pronounce us man and wife...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,327,365 times
My condolen.... er... congrats!!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 AM

396 posts, read 732,237 times
As I understand it, legally, you are married once your marriage license is signed by all necessary parties. In our case, we had all of our friends over the night before our wedding, including our officiant (who was a friend). We were sitting around talking about how things were going to go the next day and I asked, "so when do we sign the marriage license and stuff?" Our officiant said, "well, we could do that right now... it's after midnight, so the date of your wedding and of your marriage would be the same."

And that's exactly what we did. It was amazing how ALL the stress surrounding the wedding suddenly went away... it made it so that we were already married, and everything we did after that was "just a party." It was perfect for us... and honestly, it's one of my most cherished memories now.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:55 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,546 times
It's hard to recall exactly. You have to go to the courthouse of the county in which you are getting married and apply for a marriage license. Take your birth certificate with you and a picture ID. You probably won't need blood tests -- we didn't, and I think most places don't require that any more.

You'll be issued a marriage certificate of some sort, and on the day of your wedding, that will need to be signed by you and your spouse, the officiant, and maybe the witnesses. Then I think it gets sent back to the courthouse to be registered in the system and later you receive an official copy or something like that.

You're not officially married -- legally, I mean -- until that certificate has been signed by all parties and registered with the county registrar.

I also think there's a timeline. You have to apply for the license a certain amount of time before the ceremony, and the license is then only good for a certain amount of time after it's issued. (In other words, if you apply for the license and then don't have the ceremony, and a month or so passes -- whatever the timeframe is that they give you -- your license will "expire" and you will have to go back to the courthouse to get another license.)

Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Check with your state to see if you need a blood test prior. I think you need a witness to attend at the court as well. Stop in at your local court to ask for everything you'll need.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Go to the court house and apply for a license. They will ask you some questions, sign and pay a fee. After that is issued you will have a set time have it legalized. You just need it signed by an official, clergy, court officer, capt. of a ship, etc. and one witness. Then have it filed with the court. Bam your married.

Getting divorced is a bit harder. And more expensive.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,421,377 times
Not sure about intially......but you now you have been married for awhile, when all you get in the way of sex is hall-way sex. That for the uninitiated, it is whenever you pass each other in the hallway "F*** you".....F*** you too".

Old 05-06-2010, 09:01 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Not all licenses are dispensed at a "courthouse". Try the county clerk's office. Actually, look up your town/county and find out.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Actually, look up your town/county and find out.
This is the best piece of advice given so far. Though many of the answers are generally accurate, specific marriage laws are different depending on where you're getting married so don't go by what people on the internet say unless they back it up with an official government website for your specific location. So find the local website with marriage license info and go by that. For example, I got married in Bucks County, PA so I got my info from here: Marriage Licenses

Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
The Marriage Preperation Process

http://www.rcan.org/famlife/B-MarriagePrep-Sect1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships