Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:45 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times

Advertisements

the golden rule applies here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:14 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Tell her your friend is interested in being set up with her. And during that conversation let her know that you expect her to disclose to him her status, and that they are to both tell you when she has.

It isn't up to you to reveal that kind of information about her without warning, but of course you also want to protect your friend. This allows you to be fair to both of them without betraying either... and it puts the responsibility for disclosure where it belongs, on her... and the responsibility to use safer sex practices (which they should BOTH be doing anyway) where it belongs as well.
This is the best advice I think. You don't even know if the girl is interested, or if either one of them will be interested enough to date long enough to have sex. It's on her, and letting her know that she'd better be honest should be enough.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Tell her your friend is interested in being set up with her. And during that conversation let her know that you expect her to disclose to him her status, and that they are to both tell you when she has.

It isn't up to you to reveal that kind of information about her without warning, but of course you also want to protect your friend. This allows you to be fair to both of them without betraying either... and it puts the responsibility for disclosure where it belongs, on her... and the responsibility to use safer sex practices (which they should BOTH be doing anyway) where it belongs as well.
Good advice. It's definitely not your place to tell your friend something that may never even be an issue. Maybe the girl won't even be interested. Why potentially damage her over something hypothetical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Herpes is not a death sentence for pete's sake

ANY person out there in the dating world who does not take precautions against it and all other sexually transmitted diseases as a matter of routine is asking for what they end up with.

This is NONE of your business, though you should encourage her to be honest with everyone she plans on sleeping with - it's the decent thing to do.

Herpes is also not as easy to catch as you apparently think it is. Do some reading and educate yourself.
Yes, a little education on the subject appears to be in order here. One of my ex-boyfriends was married for several years to a woman with Herpes. He didn't catch it (and for the doubters, yes he did get tested for it)

Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you" Great advice, TL!

To not warn the poor guy seems just cruel and nuts!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:44 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,140 times
I vote tell him, I'd want to know if I were the male friend.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
Maybe they're both losers and deserve one another.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,415 times
This is a huge issue that will affect your male friend for the rest of his life if you don't intervene. Tell him, but yeah, warn her first. Don't let her convince you not to yell him, though. And don't let her tell you she already told him, make sure.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
and you have a male friend who doesn't, but is interested in dating the friend with the herpes, what should you do??? Does that make sense?? Girl has it, guy wants to get with her but doesn't know she has it, has expressed strong interest in her, said he will pursue on his own if I don't hook him up..... what to do?? I don't want to put her business out there but he is a good friend......

Also note: she is not always upfront.....
I would let her know I am going to tell him.
And I know some people say mind your own business.
But he may ask and she may not say anything.

And I would hope he would tell me if the situation was reversed.
As a matter of fact one of my bros let me know when this woman, who was part of a larger circle of acquaintances, was interested in me.
He told me she 'was burning' which back then was slang for having an STD.
She got mad at him and never spoke to him again.

Later on another guy we knew slept with her and caught what she had.

Again I would definitely tell.
Herpes is a lifelong disease.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Send him an anonymous note written in words cut out of newspaper.
Great idea.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:08 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
and you have a male friend who doesn't, but is interested in dating the friend with the herpes, what should you do??? Does that make sense?? Girl has it, guy wants to get with her but doesn't know she has it, has expressed strong interest in her, said he will pursue on his own if I don't hook him up..... what to do?? I don't want to put her business out there but he is a good friend......

Also note: she is not always upfront.....

Are you sure your male friend doesn't have herpes? What makes you think he would disclose this to you. I'm quite suprised that your female friend revealed this information considering that "she is not always upfront".

It's none of your business to reveal such personal information about someone. However, I wouldn't play a matchmaker in this situation. You don't want to put that burden on yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships