Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:13 PM

244 posts, read 707,294 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about online relationships? How do you react or feel about people who are involved with someone via online? I'm asking this question because a good friend of mine who's in a relationship with a women from another state and I had a conversation about online dating. Earlier that day, I started talking to my ex again who dated online for a few months. However, I couldn't feel the spark between us and it was extremely difficult to maintain a healthy relationship even when we talked through Skype and other social network sites. I still felt lonely. Because of that experience I cannot do online relationships, even though my friend and his girlfriend are close despite the distance (they still have problems considering she goes out with friends and doesn't Skype with him everyday).

In my personal opinion, online relationships are on the fence for me because of

1) Distance: Because of how far the partners could be, it's important to keep contact with your partner often. Not doing so could cause thoughts of paranoia or cheating and other negative thoughts. Could conceive thoughts your bf/gf does not care for you.

2) Lack of Physical Contact: Texting, Phone Conversations, Skype, Facebook, are all great ways to keep in contact with loved ones but nothing beats physical contact and being with your partner in real life and being around them.

I'm sure there are many other reasons and you can list them if you want here, but I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on this topic, especially considering how big social media has become over the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
The pros- you can get to know each other via emails, texts and telephone calls before you get together (and spend money on her).

The cons- you never really know who this person is and the vetting process is always being only part completed. My friend does a lot of internet dating and the person never seems to be who he thinks it is.

My overall opinion is go for it, but be cautious and take things easy.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:45 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
it's a joke. if you haven't even met the person, it's not a relationship, IMO. They could be telling you anything; could be married, gross, etc.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
You take your chances any where online or at a bar or just out at the store. I just got out of a LDR & it's hard I won't like it takes a lot of work & trust.

Like the OP mentioned that lack Physical Contact can really get you down. I think you have to set a date or some sort of time when the both of you have to move forward OR go your seprate ways.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:19 AM

244 posts, read 707,294 times
Exactly! I mean I've seen people fall in love but I cannot understand why you would want to put yourself in that situation because there are peopley in real life you could date!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,283 times
Falling in love throught the net is easy. But there is a point when have to meet and move in together.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
How do you feel about online relationships? How do you react or feel about people who are involved with someone via online? I'm asking this question because a good friend of mine who's in a relationship with a women from another state and I had a conversation about online dating. Earlier that day, I started talking to my ex again who dated online for a few months. However, I couldn't feel the spark between us and it was extremely difficult to maintain a healthy relationship even when we talked through Skype and other social network sites. I still felt lonely. Because of that experience I cannot do online relationships, even though my friend and his girlfriend are close despite the distance (they still have problems considering she goes out with friends and doesn't Skype with him everyday).

In my personal opinion, online relationships are on the fence for me because of

1) Distance: Because of how far the partners could be, it's important to keep contact with your partner often. Not doing so could cause thoughts of paranoia or cheating and other negative thoughts. Could conceive thoughts your bf/gf does not care for you.

2) Lack of Physical Contact: Texting, Phone Conversations, Skype, Facebook, are all great ways to keep in contact with loved ones but nothing beats physical contact and being with your partner in real life and being around them.

I'm sure there are many other reasons and you can list them if you want here, but I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on this topic, especially considering how big social media has become over the past few years.
Bolded: Why would I care? Yes, that is a question to you because it would be none of my business.

I think meeting someone is extremely difficult. I would be open to it but my experience from being on a dating site I used to be on is you pretty much have to live within 20 miles or you are written off. Whatever.

Then I have read stories of people making it work. I say life is short and stay open to the possibility but I know I'm in the minority.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
Exactly! I mean I've seen people fall in love but I cannot understand why you would want to put yourself in that situation because there are peopley in real life you could date!
When you get older it gets harder. It's not as easy as you think.

Last edited by John13; 07-21-2012 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Makes more sense.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:32 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,480 times
many of the people who I know who do online relationships have trouble meeting people in person ( very shy / socially awkward / strong anxiety problems / etc )

if it makes them happy, there is nothing wrong with it and I suppose I can understand why in that situation

personally though, i have the same reservations listed in this thread. i don't understand why someone who was having no trouble meeting people in person would ever even try it

also seems at some point it would have to graduate to an in-person deal to become more serious

Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Why does everyone associate online dating with internet girlfriend/boyfriend. Most of us don't waste our time talking on e-mails. We say our hellos, ask some questions and meet up.

How is that ANY different than approaching a cute girl in the store and asking her out on a date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
personally though, i have the same reservations listed in this thread. i don't understand why someone who was having no trouble meeting people in person would ever even try it
I don't have any problems offline or online, to me it's just another way to meet people. Take it for what it is, you can have a great time with the right approach.

A socially awkward person is going to have trouble in person or offline. It's not like someone who can't hold a conversation is just all the sudden going to be a stud online. If he goes on a date and is the most boring guy, he'll be SOL too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships