Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times

Advertisements

I just turned 30 and to be honest I don't think I want to date. It was the most stressful thing I faced in my 20s and would rather not worry about it. Not to mention looking around me at all the people who are married and are now divorced seperated, broke, whatever. Doesn't look like it's all cracked up to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 06:42 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Try to get it as much as you can because you ain't gonna get it when you're older.
lol, that depends on your resources and status. If you have money, you can be getting action for a long, long, long time. Way later than your 30s. If you have fame and money, it's even easier.

30s is still very young.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
well there is another reason i posted this thread.

even though i'm in my thirties now, i've never dated, period. I now await plenty of ribbing, laughs and posts saying "lmao!!! you loser!!" but in seriousness, it is true, even if it is a potential red flag/dealbreaker for some.

So this is a reason, well the main reason, why I want to enter the dating game. Not out of desperation, but...well I guess I feel I'm missing out.
That's a pretty brave admission. It'll probably be a red flag for a lot of people, but so what? You can't go back in time and change it so why worry what people will think. Just focus on finding someone who'll accept this about you. I'm in my mid-30s and I've never been married. In my 20s, I had a few serious relationships, but nothing that lasted a long time. Sometimes I feel like an oddball because my relationship history isn't as "full" as everyone else's. But that's my past and I accept that I might be judged for it.

As far as feeling like you're missing out, that's both a good and bad thing. A lot of times, we see the lives other people lead and feel like our lives are empty. So it's good to be inspired by what others have achieved in their lives. At the same time, however, you have to remember that you're not seeing the full story. You might see someone who seems to be happily married with kids. But behind closed doors, that person could be miserable, feeling like they married the wrong person and had kids they weren't ready to have.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Took a lot of guts to say that, Samston.

Hi wigirl920,

Which leads me to believe its not that unusual. I would not be surprised if 1 in 10 never dated.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:

even though i'm in my thirties now, i've never dated, period. I now await plenty of ribbing, laughs and posts saying "lmao!!! you loser!!" but in seriousness, it is true, even if it is a potential red flag/dealbreaker for some.

So this is a reason, well the main reason, why I want to enter the dating game. Not out of desperation, but...well I guess I feel I'm missing out.
Listen, the main thing is that you admitted it, unlike a lot of the "expert" advice givers you will encounter who have little experience, but would rather remain ignorant than admit the truth and get help.

I am a "late bloomer" also. I did not seriously start with dating and relationships until I was 21 years old. I was clueless in high school and college. I have been on both sides of the fence as a "chump" and a "champ"

People will make it seem (especially here on this board) that relationships and love happen purely by chace and that you have no say in the matter. They will quote BS statistics and post articles they have seen on the net. I have lived and seen through others I have been around the exact opposite
of what they are spewing. No one can tell me what's possible or impossible.

Good luck to you on your journey!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Listen, the main thing is that you admitted it, unlike a lot of the "expert" advice givers you will encounter who have little experience, but would rather remain ignorant than admit the truth and get help.

I am a "late bloomer" also. I did not seriously start with dating and relationships until I was 21 years old. I was clueless in high school and college. I have been on both sides of the fence as a "chump" and a "champ"

People will make it seem (especially here on this board) that relationships and love happen purely by chace and that you have no say in the matter. They will quote BS statistics and post articles they have seen on the net. I have lived and seen through others I have been around the exact opposite
of what they are spewing. No one can tell me what's possible or impossible.

Good luck to you on your journey!

Hi mongoslade223,

I will agree with that. People will go house shopping, car shopping and even hit a consumer review site on ball point pens but love is to be "random".

Is the following advice a Malthusian plot?

* be yourself
* it happens when you are not looking
* do everything for yourself
* be loved for who you are

How would I even make a buck doing that? Who am I on Monday morning? The real me does not show up for work so I send in a phony so I can eat.

I see rams bashing their heads together, birds singing and dancing about and lions eviscerating each other to attract and keep mates, but we humans are to just wait for it to happen like the movies; yet, this is only with regard to mating. Indeed, assiduously plan on your retirement and make sure the last days of your life are on a king sized bed. Research, plan and react obsessively for those wrinkly years of assisted living. Yet to put any effort in understanding and attracting mates is just sheer madness...

Old 05-13-2010, 05:38 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:

What do you think the biggest problem is?

Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Depends on your network. Most are out of school and working full-time jobs and a lot have kids.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
What do you think the biggest problem is?
Not understanding people well enough.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
Are you really shy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships