Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,814,350 times

Advertisements

Alright I did something stupid that might have possibly gotten me arrested being just 19 at the time (now I'm 23). I'm way less confrontational than in my previous earlier years.. well only online if someone is overly rude but not in real life (unless it's self-defense purpose only).

To make the story short, I was hanging out with my female friend, her two siblings and her male friend.... a pathetic jerk who wouldn't stop verbally harassing me. Let's call him Joe. Anyways at some point it was enough already and as we were heading out of the supermarket, I made sure it was me coming out first. Afterwards while holding the glass market door, I calculated the moment he would come out and slammed it fast.. which he barely hold it on time before it was about to possibly hit him in the face.

However, when I told my boyfriend about it he told me Joe deserved it for being a jerk. I'm starting to think it would have been serious but then part of me slightly agrees with what my b/f said.... he was asking for it at the same time with all the name callings and insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Why in the world are you asking about such a silly thing, that happened years ago?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,814,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why in the world are you asking about such a silly thing, that happened years ago?
I was wondering and sometimes I wondered if I would have now done the same thing if some jerk overly harassed me to the point my face boils. Part of me says I might have done the same thing.

There was also a time he got extremely rude over the phone and my boyfriend heard it. Both him and me were going to beat the crap out of him. He was close to finding out where he lives. I kind of think it would have been funny if my boyfriend gave him a good beating while my part would have been to deliver the finishing with a good punch.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
I kind of think it would have been funny if my boyfriend gave him a good beating while my part would have been to deliver the finishing with a good punch.
How would that be funny? Tragic and stupid, yes. Funny? No.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:34 AM

76 posts, read 70,090 times
I've been in several situations like this. People take my nice-ness as being 'easy' and next thing they know I flip the script.

As for being arrested, there really needs to be some changes to the law. I was recently arrested because I had lended my time, money, and myself to someone on several occassions...only for them to do the ultimate disrespectful thing to me. And when I confronted the person, it was consider criminal trespassing?

Its amazing how people can get away with intentionally hurting, taking advantage, using others and then when the repercussions come, victim 1 is the one who gets in trouble.

And what does that teach the instigator? That its ok to do these things, that we are wrong for retaliating? No. They are every bit as responsible for what comes to them.

Turning the other cheek is not a natural human instinct, and in order to do so takes a ton of patience and forgiveness. But when its overdone....they drain that and retaliation comes in force. If anything though, just try to control the anger as much as possible because the laws in this country are screwed up. You hit someone and thats an assault. Yes, stupid...especially since I'm only 22...just a few years ago, hitting someone was just suspension, if that. When you hit 18, you get all sorts of criminal charges over something that gets a bit out of hand. I think the shame and punishment involved in slamming a door into someone's face is not equal to the fact that he provoked you to do that. Period

I'll never forget, in elementary school there was the guy who constantly picked on me, made fun of me, and humiliated me. Then one morning, he says to me "your mom is going to go to hell". I got up and slapped him in the face in the middle of the entire class. I just got timed out and suspended for 3 days. Nowadays, they'd want to charge me for aggravated battery, end up with a crimnal history, the whole 9...when all the while I was the original victim. For an isolated incident due to someone instigating and making 'fighting words'. ****ed up, aint it?

Last edited by SexyandSingle; 05-15-2010 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 12:34 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,304 times
Default Was it somewhat deserved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
I was wondering and sometimes I wondered if I would have now done the same thing if some jerk overly harassed me to the point my face boils. Part of me says I might have done the same thing.

There was also a time he got extremely rude over the phone and my boyfriend heard it. Both him and me were going to beat the crap out of him. He was close to finding out where he lives. I kind of think it would have been funny if my boyfriend gave him a good beating while my part would have been to deliver the finishing with a good punch.
Just so you will know: If you would have beat the other boy you and your boy friend could go to jail. And like your post says: it would be deserved, not just somewhat deserved. This doesn't make you sound like big shots. It makes you sound like little children that need to grow up. There is no law against someone being rude to you over the phone. You both are very foolish.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:47 AM

76 posts, read 70,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
There is no law against someone being rude to you over the phone. You both are very foolish.
I disagree. When I was living with my parents as a teen, a guy (he was 19) kept calling my house in attempt to tell my parents I was a ****, *****, and that I wouldn't be with him because of that...

I called the police station and he did not call me again. Thats harrassment and defamation of character.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:16 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Physical Violance NEVER trumps verbal b.s. ever. It's childish and says you're a second rate person. You don't use your head before you use your fist. It's ridiculous really.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:22 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
J There is no law against someone being rude to you over the phone. You both are very foolish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyandSingle View Post
I disagree. When I was living with my parents as a teen, a guy (he was 19) kept calling my house in attempt to tell my parents I was a ****, *****, and that I wouldn't be with him because of that...

I called the police station and he did not call me again. Thats harrassment and defamation of character.
There's no law against being RUDE. There are laws against repeatedly calling someone. I think Nite Ryder was speaking to the first. And calling the police is using your head not your fist and you handled it in the correct manner. But someone just being rude to you is no reason to be physically violent with them.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Am I missing something? Why would slamming a door in someone's face get you arrested? Thinking it would be funny to beat someone up is far more concerning - had you gone through with it, THAT would have gotten you arrested. I urge you to get yourself into therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships