Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 PM

172 posts, read 786,003 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't as important as some other posts, but it's late, and I don't want to text some friends this late=)

I was talking with a friend online- there's a snowstorm so I didn't go out tonight. He was doing the same. Anyway, I've known him about a year, but we've done a lot in the last month. Just friends, nothing more. I even drove him to his oral surgery appt. yesterday. I met his roommate about a month ago, and have also become really good friends with him. He and I talk late into the night sometimes. Both are good guys, and we all have a great time.

So, I was talking to friend #1(I've known him longer) and I just asked him how he and friend #2 were doing. I then made a comment, something like "well, since you both are sick, are you just watching tv together tonight?" It wasn't even that detailed, it was just like, oh, is friend #2 with you too? I then get a response "When you ask weird questions like this, it makes me think you are jealous of our friendship." Jesus. Yeah, I'm jealous of your friendship with your MALE roommate. I dont know if friend #2 is interested romantically with me, or what, and I don't know if this makes friend #1 nervous. I mean, friend #1 also told me this week that friend #2 is now dating this girl we went to dinner with last week. Friend #2 says she's not his gf. I don't really care. But I'm wondering with tonight's comment, if friend #1 is just getting jealous that I'm now friends with his roommate, and he's lying about him not being single, thinking that then I won't talk to him as much? I don't understand men.

Anyway, my feelings got hurt, it's been a long week for me, a lot of stress, and this was just the icing on the cake. I said I was sorry, I didn't mean anything by my question, and that I am not jealous of their ''friendship." I then think about it a minute, tell him I'm tired of being misunderstood, and I'm going to bed. He tells me it's no big deal, and wishes me a goodnight.

So, a couple of questions...

Did I overreact?
Was my question out of line?
How to go on from here without it being awkward?
Do I cool off with the friendship with his roommate? Is there some rule about befriending a friends roommate that I'm unaware?

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry this was so drawn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,278,380 times
"No, not jealous. Why? SHOULD I be? HMMMM? Is there something you're not telling me?"

Of course, if he's a hypersensitive tool in the first place, that would have been throwing gasoline on a fire, but hey, it sounds like he's defensive and overprotective of a man-crush.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:32 PM

lol. I know, right? I've never known him to react to something in such a weird way. I mean, something so silly. I'm sure I'm just as bad for feeling bad about it. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't sometimes.

BTW- I am a woman.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,278,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
lol. I know, right? I've never known him to react to something in such a weird way. I mean, something so silly. I'm sure I'm just as bad for feeling bad about it. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't sometimes.

BTW- I am a woman.
Heh, I meant that he has a crush on his roommate.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 PM

lol. That would be great, since I've got very few STRAIGHT male friends

Old 11-14-2010, 06:59 AM

Anyone else?!?!

Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,502,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
Anyone else?!?!
One thought I had was that you were getting on his nerves and he was irritated. A jerk.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,684,353 times
Most men I've ever known turn into irritable cry babies when they are sick. I'd just dismiss the whole conversation were I you.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,796,770 times
Sounds more like friend #1 is jealous of your friendship with his roommate. Whether his feelings are platonic or not, I don't think he likes the idea that you are now friends with his roommate as well.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,723,383 times
1. No, you didn't overreact. That's pretty much what I would have said.
2. No, you weren't out of line. My (charitable) guess is that it was late and he was tired, sick, and cranky. If he harps on it then you can have the "seriously? WTF is going on with you?" talk
3. I'd just ignore it unless it comes up. Or make a joke out of it
4. Do what you want to do. If you like being friends with him, continue to do that. You're not doing anything wrong, so why back off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships