Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM

622 posts, read 1,276,981 times

Advertisements

I dont know that it makes them more likely to cheat. It could. But I wouldnt just cuz its a turn off. I dont want a former bar hoe thats been passed around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't disagree with you. But that's not my point. I'm simply saying that the definition of "promiscuous" is a pretty elastic one, dependent on the viewpoint of the person using the term.

Let's look at it this way. Let's say that you're dating someone who's 28 and slept with two dozen people in high school and college, but then dated someone exclusively for a period of six or seven years, only to have the relationship finally fizzle out a few months before meeting you.

So what do you have on your hands here? Someone who is promiscuous or someone who simply has a checkered past? Do you see how harmful it is to hang a label on someone like that?

Thats true. But I wouldnt want someone with a "checkered past" either.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,983,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameribull View Post
Thats true. But I wouldnt want someone with a "checkered past" either.
True. But how would any of you really know?

I mean, people have been known to lie about their pasts. Shocker, I know. In fact, I read an article by researchers that showed that women are prone to undercounting their number of sexual contacts in life.

And there have been people who have contracted an STD after their first sexual encounter.

Short of a lie detector test, you'd be hard pressed to know the truth.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
True. But how would any of you really know?

I mean, people have been known to lie about their pasts. Shocker, I know. In fact, I read an article by researchers that showed that women are prone to undercounting their number of sexual contacts in life.

And there have been people who have contracted an STD after their first sexual encounter.

Short of a lie detector test, you'd be hard pressed to know the truth.

You probably never will. I dont think most people lie when asked but some do. Thats why I never ask. However you can find things out over a relationship. Her friend can say something.

I live in a city of 200k. People arent seperated very much. You always know someone that knows someone. Almost every girl Ive dated had slept with someone that I know somehow. Or I at least know who they are. I just dont ask. And I try not to find out. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,433,327 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you. But that's not my point. I'm simply saying that the definition of "promiscuous" is a pretty elastic one, dependent on the viewpoint of the person using the term.

Let's look at it this way. Let's say that you're dating someone who's 28 and slept with two dozen people in high school and college, but then dated someone exclusively for a period of six or seven years, only to have the relationship finally fizzle out a few months before meeting you.

So what do you have on your hands here? Someone who is promiscuous or someone who simply has a checkered past? Do you see how harmful it is to hang a label on someone like that?
I wouldn't call your hypothetical guy promiscuous today but he certainly was in the past. I don't have a concrete number for what I consider promiscuous, but I would prefer a person who practiced a bit more discretion. I'm not saying I would cut the guy off. That would depend on the relationship.

I am able to tolerate some "checkered pasts" more than others. While a history of promiscuity is not the worst thing it certainly outranks other "issues".

Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,156,946 times
Past promiscuity wouldn't bother me in the least, but it's gotta stop when we start dating.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,133,501 times
I don't think being promiscuous makes you a cheater. But if I were single, I would not date someone promiscuous. The are ofton corrupt of morals and have a much higher potential to carry and transmit disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships