Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:26 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Another abuse story.....

Woman and man live together. She has limitations when it comes to work due to health reasons, and he knows this, he knew this when they met and he pushed quickly for them to move in together and live like a married couple (wanting to share passwords, take "family" photos, things like that).

Over time, he became abusive, but one thing he did consistently was call her a mooch whenever she had a complaint about him or brought something to his attention that hurt her. He would say how he puts a roof over her head and she does nothing, even though she contributes when she can, when she is able to get work. He has kicked her out or locked her out on numerous occasions during these arguments, because it was his apartment and her name was not on the lease. She stays because she really can't afford a place on her own and she no longer complains about anything for fear of being put out again.

Now, this is not about the abuse. It's obvious she needs to leave.
It's kind of hard to separate the two. I don't know if there is more to the story, but he has the right to change his mind and not be happy with the arrangement any longer. He can break-up with her, which in this case could easily be done since they are not married. He does NOT have the right to take advantage of her vulnerability and treat her like a dog .

Quote:
The question is, do you feel making more money entitles you to more say, more ownership of a residence you share, more overall?
In a serious LTR or marriage, I do not believe money entitles you to anything "more". This is under the assumption that before people get into these serious relationships, they talk about finances, expectations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
It's kind of hard to separate the two. I don't know if there is more to the story, but he has the right to change his mind and not be happy with the arrangement any longer. He can break-up with her, which in this case could easily be done since they are not married. He does NOT have the right to take advantage of her vulnerability and treat her like a dog.
Absolutely. He doesn't have to stay with her, even if they were married. He clearly wants her there, for whatever reason, since he kicks/locks her out and begs her to come back every time.

Quote:
In a serious LTR or marriage, I do not believe money entitles you to anything "more". This is under the assumption that before people get into these serious relationships, they talk about finances, expectations, etc.
I agree.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
PassTheChocklit...

I believe it is.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
I think it's a certain type of people. Our neighbor, a single man, is this way, (a jackass). He needs a woman. He meets a woman. He brings the woman home. Some women last a few weeks, some few months. He gets nasty after he starts feeling comfortable with a person (not only in relationships, in friendships, too), after the initial period of putting the best front forward is over.

I think he has a tendency, similarly, to search for women who are helpless in some way. He would put ads in a women shelter that a room/board is available in his house. He would bring a single mom with her kid. He is either a narcissist, or the other noun that would describe a person who relishes putting other people down. He is reproachable in other areas of life, too, - eg. trying to circumvent civic laws and bylaws (no criminality though).

Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I think he has a tendency, similarly, to search for women who are helpless in some way. He would put ads in a women shelter that a room/board is available in his house. He would bring a single mom with her kid. He is either a narcissist, or the other noun that would describe a person who relishes putting other people down. ).
Yes..they seek a women who has lessor means or circumstances, he takes charge and she thinks she found prince charming until he shows who he really is. This quys clever, he knows where to find these women and has them right under his roof. I take this issue very personally, what a scum. They seem to like to hang out on domestic violence websites as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships