Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

A man who knows what he wants and isn't afraid to go for it, in ALL aspects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The short answer is 'talkative.' Most women accept a talkative man as being confident and they may let themselves get talked into just about anything.
Confidence is about inner feeling.

Somebody may be talkative, but lack self-belief inside.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Confidence is about inner feeling.

Somebody may be talkative, but lack self-belief inside.
But when women say confidence they mean a guy who talks a good game and "appears" confident on the otuside its not a literal meaning of the word confident

I know plenty of non confident guys deep down who on the outside appear confident and charming to women

Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
No, they're different.

Shy simply means they are not outgoing or extroverted. It doesn't mean they don't think highly of themselves or have no esteem.
Its inter-related. Shy guys have trouble making eye contact also. That can show lack of confidence.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The short answer is 'talkative.' Most women accept a talkative man as being confident and they may let themselves get talked into just about anything.
Thats right. A guy can charm the heck of the girl.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
But when women say confidence they mean a guy who talks a good game and "appears" confident on the otuside its not a literal meaning of the word confident

I know plenty of non confident guys deep down who on the outside appear confident and charming to women
Thats what they see though. The outside stuff in the start. Guys can fake confidence.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
He asked me to dance, I said yes and he kept on asking and I kept on saying yes.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:48 PM

345 posts, read 643,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
OK, these are exaggerations to the point of absurdity, made to demonstrate a point: What about a man who is so independent-thinking and HIS own man that he's actually said and done things that literally 95% of society would consider "weird", "stupid", "immoral" and such AND can and did give his own detailed, well-thought-out justification of his actions? That CERTAINLY takes a lot of confidence and courage. Let's face it, it takes more courage to be scorned or ridiculed for expressing unpopular opinions than it does to demonstrate ANY kind of trait typically associated with "confidence" in the sexual attraction sense.
Thank you for posting this. When girls talking about guys having confidence, they're talking about confidence within the context of social acceptability. I feel that some of the most confident people of the last few decades have been those who do things their way, even if they are frequently scorned. Hunter S. Thompson, Neil Young, Captain Beefheart, etc have this confidence...but few women would see it as such.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Thank you for posting this. When girls talking about guys having confidence, they're talking about confidence within the context of social acceptability. I feel that some of the most confident people of the last few decades have been those who do things their way, even if they are frequently scorned. Hunter S. Thompson, Neil Young, Captain Beefheart, etc have this confidence...but few women would see it as such.

Does that mean ahe'll date a man who has a passion of committing self-inflicted property damage against his own vehicles - and in full public view besides (say, the mall parking lot)? You have to admit such a man is gutsy enough to be his own man

Added: BTW, I know of one real life case that approaches being as "weird" as I just described. Decades ago, an Iranian intellectual Fereidoun M. Esfandiary changed his legal name to FM-2030 because (a) he saw human societies as beginning a radical transformation in that year, and (b) he saw conventional naming systems as too tribalist, too much restrictive in identity (esp ones indicating nationality), and as a result, too liable to trap people in the same thought grooves (analogy of grooves on a highway) that cripple their thought process and creativity. Changing one's legal name to letters and numbers fully knowing people will think you're strange -- hard to think of how to show more confidence than doing that!!

Last edited by Phil75230; 05-16-2010 at 03:02 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM

283 posts, read 458,616 times
Only a woman knows what a woman wants but does the want provide the need or is the need really what she wants, whether she wants what she needs, she will have to remember that her needs will fulfill what she wants.

Is because of this kind of mind set that women need confident men. To guide them through their tough and simple choices in life. But I'm just a man I cannot understand woman.

We guys have it simple. I Need to eat...I eat / I Need to Work....I Work / I Need to say something...I say something / The car Needs to be Fixed...I fix the car........I'll BE BACK

In other words Give her what she needs And she will be what you want.

If she wants love give her love, If she wants a challenge give her something to fight for, If she wants to be heard just listen....

Confidence is the power to Fulfill the Needs.

As to what actions define confidence Exactly only women know the awnser

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships