Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:33 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

In the past I've mostly gone out to dinner on a first offline meeting...so more recently in the interest of keeping my expenses in check (eating/drinking out here in LA is expensive even at smaller venues) I would like to be more judicious in choosing who I take out for a full blown dinner date. In addition it also saves me from spending an extended amount of time with someone I have no interest in.

I'm thinking I would just meet offline for the 1st time perhaps coffee or a drink and then ask her out again to dinner/movies or whatever if I like her...so I thought but it isn't panning out!

my last date was to meet at a bar after work "for drinks" (clearly specified). I just wanted it to be a quick meeting for the above reasons. Now, I meet her and I realize she is really not my type. She is cursing everything in sight...the restaurant opposite the street, our waiter, the service, some countries...you name it she is cursing it, which really turned me off (she didn't do this on the phone). And then, she says she is starving, asks for a menu and orders a bunch of stuff. I still pay the tab in the end because I am old fashioned that way but I just feel I should've maybe said something instead of just going along. I feel a bit resentful spending what I did on someone I am never going to see again and don't even like, i've done it enough number of times in the past but I don't want to keep repeating this scenario...

so in your opinions how should I have handled the above situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
You have time for a couple drinks between meetings in her area and keep it to an hour and a couple drinks then if you want to see her again make plans then. You've given yourself an out before you start the date and you'll be by her so it's not like you are just squeezing her in from across town. Have her meet you wherever, because remember you have a meeting to go to.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:42 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,188 times
How about saying: "Let's meet for coffee, if we still like each other after 30 minutes we can make plans for dinner."

Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
In the past I've mostly gone out to dinner on a first offline meeting...so more recently in the interest of keeping my expenses in check (eating/drinking out here in LA is expensive even at smaller venues) I would like to be more judicious in choosing who I take out for a full blown dinner date. In addition it also saves me from spending an extended amount of time with someone I have no interest in.

I'm thinking I would just meet offline for the 1st time perhaps coffee or a drink and then ask her out again to dinner/movies or whatever if I like her...so I thought but it isn't panning out!

my last date was to meet at a bar after work "for drinks" (clearly specified). I just wanted it to be a quick meeting for the above reasons. Now, I meet her and I realize she is really not my type. She is cursing everything in sight...the restaurant opposite the street, our waiter, the service, some countries...you name it she is cursing it, which really turned me off (she didn't do this on the phone). And then, she says she is starving, asks for a menu and orders a bunch of stuff. I still pay the tab in the end because I am old fashioned that way but I just feel I should've maybe said something instead of just going along. I feel a bit resentful spending what I did on someone I am never going to see again and don't even like, i've done it enough number of times in the past but I don't want to keep repeating this scenario...

Yeah, that's a tough one. I've NEVER invited a girl to dinner for the 1st offline date/meeting, it's always been for coffee or drink(s). I'm old fashioned like you, and if it were me I probably would've just paid the tab as well without thinking about it.

As for the future, maybe try to pick a place that does NOT have any food, or choose to sit at the bar (even though I prefer a table sitting directly across from each other). Or just stick to coffee. If it's in the evening, say we can get hot chocolate or something.

That's a tough situation though and I've never run into it. There's only been maybe twice that I knew right away I wasn't into the person and I ended it after one drink. Normally, we have at least two, and I've had others where we have 4 or 5 each and we lose track of time. In the latter scenarios I don't mind covering a 10 drink tab as I had a good time and the odds are we'll go out again.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:06 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Way too much for a first meeting. Best is ask them for coffee/lunch and if things go well from there then move on to a dinner situation.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:20 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I think you should have told her that you didn't think you were compatible and cut the date short when she grabbed the menu. I like cuinlalaland's suggestion as well. Meet at a Starbucks, or a book store.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I think you should have told her that you didn't think you were compatible and cut the date short when she grabbed the menu. I like cuinlalaland's suggestion as well. Meet at a Starbucks, or a book store.
yeah i would bailed when she tried to order food. well, i woulda let her order then bail before it got there so she could pay the bill. ***** aint randomly ordering dinner on my tab

Old 05-14-2010, 03:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Sounds like some of the broads I've been suckered with on "blind dates" which is why I don't allow anyone to fix me up anymore.

Probably in your exact situation I would have asked her to split the bill and I have done that before. You know you are not going to see them again so who cares? In every case they coughed up and paid.

The other thing is to make a wise choice of venue. I can appreciate fine dining but I tend to like "Road Food" type places or other casual dining affairs like a brick oven pizza place or upscale burger joint or perhaps tex mex. That is more my speed and what I like anyways and if a gal I want to take out turns their nose up then she isn't for me anyways so boo hoo. I also steer away from joints with big, expensive alcohol lists as well.

Hell I'd even take a gal to Chipotle, Panera Bread or Cracker Barrel and if they don't like it BOO HOO!

If I'm getting suckered with the bill, then I'm picking and controlling the costs. This aint Hollywood or Aspen.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:46 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Definitely, if you know it's not happening, when the menu comes out, pull the handle and bail out.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I would never (well, almost never ) do anything other that an agreed-upon short initial meeting - that is really the most logical and practical plan as you really don't know for certain, until you meet someone, if there will be any desire to see them again. I'd rather go to a coffee place than somewhere for "drinks"...it's much less apt to present a problem with either the check, or getting away fast enough.

If I had found myself in your situation? Well, by the time she picked up the menu, you already knew, right? So as soon as she did that, I would have stated that I only had allotted a half hour and that I always go dutch on these first meets. Period. And looked her straight in the eye.

Sounds like she was after a free meal...I never get those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships