Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I have two words for this thread: moral panic.
Nonsense! I've been through a "moral panic" and this isn't what we have today. Most hardly care if:

- half of children are born into single parent families.
- a quarter of all high school girls have "common" STDs.
- sex is used to attract the worst type of young men.
- educational standards and many social indicators are slipping fast.

All of the above have changed dramatically over the past 40 to 50 years.

In some ways, this is not bad. I mean by that - if a teen has a child out of wedlock, this is hardly some irreversible tragedy as it might have been characterized 50 years ago. However, if a majority do this and think this is OK, we have a severe problem. However I don't see a moral panic occurring over this, unless you consider what fundamentalist nitwits think, as having any validity.

No, I have been through a "moral panic" like in ancient Greece and the flapper era of the 1920s. I left HS at the end of the Viet Nam anti war era. My hair was nearly down to my waist (most girls today would be envious) as was my brother's and nearly all my classmates. My grandparents were in a "moral panic" and my parents weren't far behind. Funny thing happened. We mostly got a good education, found jobs and became pillars of society. In my HS, a lot of girls got pregnant but this was not a normal situation like today.

A real moral panic is usually much ado about nothing but fashion. Throughout history, societal decline seldom gets the same treatment. Today, if anything, people are too laid back. Its not the clothes or hairstyles. Its the change in attitudes about the future of both the parents and the kids that is a problem.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doglver View Post
From a mother's point of view watching the behaviour of the girls in our area, what is the deal with how easy girls make themselves for guys? Where have the morals gone to and the self esteem? I'm talking about good students with intact families that go to church, belong to clubs after school and plan on going to college but when it comes to guys, they give it up so easily before even dating and being in a committed relationship! A father I know found a maids costume, handcuffs and other "toys" in the back of his daughters car the other day. Of course the daughter said it didn't belong to her. Just a teenager! Any insight as to what has happened since the days we were teens in the 70's and 80's???

I don't suppose you could introduce me to this gal Naw, just joking, but really this is funny if it doesn't concern a being....

Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
If it is true that the average age for a girl to get her period has dropped across the board, or lowered a few years for whites, it's possible that all this "oversexuality" is stemming from THAT. Nothing but sheer hormones. If that's the case, it could also be driving the Lindsey Lohan's and Britney Spears', not the other way around.
Well how many years are we talking? 2? 3? Little 16 year old girls are having oral sex on school buses. Were 19 year olds having oral sex on buses or giving it up to any Tom Dick or Harry like some 16 year old girls seem want to do? Sure 19 year olds are a bit more mature emotionally, so maybe they wouldn't be AS promiscuous. But I'm pretty darn sure you can't say that 17, 18, 19 year old girls 20-30 years ago even approached the sexual aggressiveness found in today's 14-16 year old girls.

Besides, we know that female's reach their sexual peak in their early 30s, or late 20s. Things haven't changed so much that girls are reaching their sexual peak at 14.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
This just isn't true. I know plenty of women in my personal life who started having sex at some of the ages you mentioned and now they are happily married in their late 20's, not emotionally vacant.

Broken hearts are never fun, but if you're telling me that sex makes a broken heart impossible to recover from, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Yes, it can turn up the intensity in your emotions, but that doesn't mean that if your heart gets broken from someone you slept with that you're now ruined for life. Hopefully, and in most of the cases I know of, it makes you smarter and wiser for next time.

And yes, WOMEN SHOULD NEVER LOOK TO SEX TO "MAKE SOMEONE ACCEPT THEM", but again, women who do this have low self-esteem to begin with. The sex is NOT what's causing the low self-esteem. It's the other way around.
I completely agree with this.

I also believe that sex should be an open, positive and and frequent topic in family conversation. Why people have sex, how it changes relationships, how you might feel before, and later on. And parents should not hesitate to share their own experiences, good and bad. It comes down to credibility.

I had the sex talk with both my girls when they were 8, and talked not only about the mechanics, but the emotional side of it as well. I've been reinforcing that conversation for years in ways that emphasize the positivity of sex, but also the dangers that await if the decision is made in haste or for reasons other than for the pleasure that comes with sincere emotional and physical bonding. (Masturbation and its purpose in sexual development is not a taboo topic around here either).

As for the 1% failure rate of condoms, there is an easy solution--my high-school-age daughter uses the nuvaring as well as condoms. Presto, negligable risk. She also knows I keep a morning after pill in the medicine cabinet just in case. It's not rocket science--it's just science.

Finally, as for girls whose lives are supposedly "ruined" by too much high school sex, all I can say is I doubt I will come to the end of my life wishing I'd had LESS sex along the way.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
As for the 1% failure rate of condoms, there is an easy solution--my high-school-age daughter uses the nuvaring as well as condoms. Presto, negligable risk.
Hardly. First off you are asking young girls in their developing years to take hormones. Bad idea. Second, it would only decrease the risk. It wouldn't eliminate it. Let's do the math. There are approximately I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000,000 unwed girls and women engaging in regular sex in the west. 1% of that is 100,000. That's ideal condom use. Add the Nuvaring, another 99% effective contraceptive. 1% of 100,000 is 1,000. That would be 1,000 unplanned pregnancies each year with perfect use. More like 50,000 with real world use. And that is if EVERY one of those girls use both forms of contraceptive, which they don't. And that is EVERY YEAR.

I say again. Protected sex is a myth.

Quote:
She also knows I keep a morning after pill in the medicine cabinet just in case. It's not rocket science--it's just science.
Great. Abortion is always the answer. I know. "It's not the abortion pill." Only thing... it is the abortion pill.

And if you would encourage the morning after pill, I guess you would also take your girls to the abortion clinic if they wound up pregnant?

I'll tell you what's not rocket science: keeping it in your pants and keeping your legs closed. It's really not as hard as you want to think it is. Stay away from temptation. Teach your kids right.

That is what we are talking about in this thread. Why are young girls so quick to give it up these days?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Finally, as for girls whose lives are supposedly "ruined" by too much high school sex, all I can say is I doubt I will come to the end of my life wishing I'd had LESS sex along the way.
To that I will quote this: "I have never met a girl who lost her virginity on her wedding night who regretted waiting." It's always worth the wait.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:27 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Because we're also wired to brutally pound other males in order to procure our perceived territory.

That wouldn't go over so well, I'm thinking...

Just ONE example of what we "animals" are wired to do. The question isn't whether we're animals, it's how we rise above simplistic, animal thinking.
What? We're human, what evolutionary book does that come from??

So rising above simplistic, animal thinking involves blaming Miley Cyrus and Facebook for the reason teenagers are having sex. We really haven't come past this "simplistic thinking" if that's where people are placing blame...

Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Do you know how the morning after pill works? It doesn't sound like it.

Also, please provide evidence that hormonal birth control is unsafe for teens of childbearing age. You can't because your objections are pure fantasy. Adolescent girls and young women are frequently prescribed oral contraceptivels for irregular menstrual periods, menstrual cramps, acne, PMS, endometriosis, and hormone replacement therapy.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
I was a teenager in the 70's-80's, and many girls were easy then, too. I have a daughter in college now, and comparing now to back then, I don't see any difference.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:59 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I was a teenager in the 70's-80's, and many girls were easy then, too. I have a daughter in college now, and comparing now to back then, I don't see any difference.
There have been and always will be alot of easy teenage girls....reminds me of when I was a teen, was with a mate at the beach. Two girls just walked up to us "want to have sex behind the surfclub", we declinded.
If that ain't easy I don't know what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships