Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:15 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
I'm glad to hear that, since that's the type of guy I see myself with eventually. But as a woman, I can tell you that in my experience, those kinds of guys are few and far between!
Many times I honestly think that if in addition to traditional Christian religious values emphasizing abstinence and pre-marital celibacy, American popular culture also encouraged young men to be more open to listening on a regular basis to romantic love songs and love ballads, they would be more likely to want to enter into relationships for the longer term. Particularly love songs that have lyrics talking about stable, lasting relationships, respect and compassion towards women, promotion of romantic attachment, feelings of mutual gentleness and affection, and lyrics targeted toward long-term, committed relationships.

One of the main reasons I think that young women can sometimes be described as "easy" these days is because many of them may be looking for a more lasting love and romantic affection, but it can many times be very challenging for them to find, since again popular culture seems to be actively promoting a series of shorter-term relationships in contemporary cultural trends. For example, young women are frequently encouraged toward having what is basically serial monogamy, with having one boyfriend, break up, new boyfriend and then following next break up, repeating ad infinitum. If more young men and young women both looked toward dating more in the long-term, classic sense (i.e., as a courtship, and as a precursor to finding marriage and a future loving wife or husband), I sincerely believe there would be much less pop-culture incentive for "easiness", among both men and women.

In my humble opinion and despite social trends to the contrary in the modern era, romantic attachment is not a "bad" thing...and long-term, committed relationships, and marriage are not "uncool". If society actively promoted committed, serious relationships that are marriage-minded, it could potentially help young men and young women to be able to enter into much more emotionally-healthy types of relationships, vs. what is the mainstream today.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-27-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Adds / Corrections

Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM

264 posts, read 309,069 times
Hehe. Raise your hand if you think the realities of sex: the smells, the sounds, the absurd contortions, the sweat--are going to freak Knight right out. Screwing ain't a love song, son! Fortunately, it's even better.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Thats such bs, teens aren't any easier now than they were 20 years ago. I hate how old mummies brag about how chaste they were in their day. Hello, your kids and grandkids wouldn't be alive if that were true! People had kids way younger 40 years ago. Teen pregnancies were aborted or quietly given up for adoption regardless of what the girl wanted. Too many old people see sexy shows on TV and can't distinguish it from reality. I'd tell those nitwits to get a life but theres no fool like an old fool

Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 PM

78 posts, read 120,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Thats such bs, teens aren't any easier now than they were 20 years ago. I hate how old mummies brag about how chaste they were in their day. Hello, your kids and grandkids wouldn't be alive if that were true! People had kids way younger 40 years ago. Teen pregnancies were aborted or quietly given up for adoption regardless of what the girl wanted. Too many old people see sexy shows on TV and can't distinguish it from reality. I'd tell those nitwits to get a life but theres no fool like an old fool
I would be alive if there were no teen pregnancies 40 years ago, hell, even 80 years ago. Beyond that I can't account for, but as much as old people like say each generation following them is getting more promiscuous I can't help but notice in my 28 years on earth that it is becoming more encouraged. It may be the openness of the internet and online dating, but people are definitely getting more causal towards sex by the year.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM

308 posts, read 897,006 times
I started being involved in all sorts of sexual activities in my early teens and I can guarantee you that most of my friends did the same -- it was pre-internet era in early 90s.

I begin to think that all this rediculous old fart talk is triggered by chemical reactions in brain when the former easy ladies themselves turn to hollier-than-thou helecopter moms.

when I was your age... no you weren't! stop lying to yourself. you had your share of wild fun back in the days, so let the younger generations do the same!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
They back always been easy. The only thing that has changed is how open talk is about sex.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
We live in an era where the self respect levels go lower and lower.

Obesity rates are another example.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
I think Obesity has more to do with socio-economic inequality, poor urban planning and dietary deficiency than self respect (In the US especially). When organic food is too expensive, you have no knowledge of nutrition, and you live in a poor neighborhood, it's a lot harder to eat right and stay thin than it is if you're comfortably middle class with a Whole Foods on your corner.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:01 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,551 times
What I do want to know, is why they WEREN'T when I was a teenager.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,499 times
Perhaps I'm offering a contrary viewpoint, but I don't know that it's all that different from when I was a teenager in the early to mid 90s. I certainly wasn't easy, but I did lose my virginity to a long-term boyfriend (who is now my husband, after a few years being apart and dating other people) at 17. While my oldest is only 7, I have teenage nieces and I see/hear some of what goes on. To me it doesn't seem all that different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships