Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

7 years - after my divorce - we'd been married 13 years but dated through college, lived together for a number of years. Believe it or not, we work at the same company and still "talk shop" and do dinner a time or two each year....but it was really, really rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 05:59 PM

465 posts, read 303,574 times
Had a HS crush that took me a few years to completely get over. Those don't seem so painful now. However, I had a work crush from seven years ago that took me about 8 or 9 months to get over. When you deal with it in the workplace, its the worst.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
7 years - after my divorce - we'd been married 13 years but dated through college, lived together for a number of years. Believe it or not, we work at the same company and still "talk shop" and do dinner a time or two each year....but it was really, really rough.
That is unreal. It took me a good 5+ years to get over my ex-wife. Then I found out she married a fat Indian guy and had a child with him and it brought it all back again. Add another year of me mourning not being a Father and that jerk doing that with my ex-wife. I knew the guy. She had worked with him when we were married. I still have residual anger 8 years post divorce. But I have zero desire to ever see her again or get back with her, so thats good.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:04 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Reading these old threads always make me wonder what happened to the old posters, the ones who had thousands of posts, then one day just stop posting.

Did they just lose interest in the forum? Did some die? ... A mystery.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:32 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
It takes awhile to get over someone you've truly loved. With that said, I mourned for 2 years after my divorce.

Its amazing people who've been in long-term relationships are able to jump back into dating a week later or sooner.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Reading these old threads always make me wonder what happened to the old posters, the ones who had thousands of posts, then one day just stop posting.

Did they just lose interest in the forum? Did some die? ... A mystery.
Sad but the most probable possibilities mate

When you've read one hate, over analysed, gender bashing etc thread you've read the them all or you end up repeating the same things over and over again naturally it does begin to beome less interesting and rapidly so for some of us mate

Old 06-01-2017, 05:55 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post
Do you ever truly completely get over someone you loved? I mean, yes, you move on to other relationships, maybe get married and have children. But, a part of them is still there in some way. I mean every relationship we have shapes us in some way to this day.
For me, this is most likely true. I fell for the same lady twice 15+ years apart. So while we maintained a close friendship during that gap of time, I guess there was always "something" there to rekindle.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
It took me several years to get over the guy I worshipped through most of my undergrad years...well into my upper twenties. And we never dated; he was a friend who I had an unrequited thing for...there were never any water-muddying FWB type dynamics or anything, only a couple of minor instances of vaguely mixed messages...once, he agreed to go to a formal with me, and I read a lot into that that wasn't there on his end, and one evening, walking back from the bar, we exchanged one kiss. I just was the pining friend, really. After graduation, I moved away, but still stayed hung up. I did date, etc., but it took a few years to get him outta my head. I definitely had built up a huge, romanticized image of him for a long time.

Now we are 40, and are still connected via mutual friends and social media, but it has probably been 16,17 years since I've seen him. Now, I look at it and understand perfectly that we were never really well-suited, and though he was a draw to college-age me, how he isn't and wouldn't be now.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 PM

622 posts, read 395,729 times
Well my husband of 15 years died 4 years ago and will always have a forever piece of my heart. I will never get over him. It took a couple of years and moving away from the ghosts of the past that haunted me around every corner to even begin to think about dating again. My heart is open to the possibility of sharing another love now.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
I almost married my childhood best friend and she was the only woman I had intense feelings for. She was absolutely perfect to me. But her health suddenly failed and she passed away 6 months ago. I can't bring myself to date cause I feel I'd be cheating on her. I'm still in the process of recovering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships