Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 02:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Ahh.. but the evidence that you are drawing a conclusion from is tainted by a unchecked Theory on your part.

But by your most likely explanation Redisca, based on my poor spelling and grammar is that I must be an illiterate. Strange how that works. For that matter some of the more intellegent people I have met (And I am talking Genius level) are many times very poor when it comes to the ability to write without spelling and grammar errors. When combined with a medium such as a Forum where things are off the cuff and fastly done, then this can be magnified. I notice I spelled Sociopath (socialpath was how I had spelled it) wrong the other day in a post not once but repeatedly. Some of us can also suffer from a form of Dyslexia where we spell words inside out when writing. Thank goodness for spell-check programs or my postings would look even more like I was a idiot.
I'll take the side step with a comment made earlier. If spelling and grammatical errors are accompanied with incomprehensible pontificating there is no other translation but ignorance. Without the latter criteria, I bet grammar errors largely go unnoticed. If what you're bringing to the table has value, nobody will care, e.g., scientists that could do well by taking Comp. 101 again. If you're talking out of your arse, spelling and grammar errors salt the wound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:06 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I think emotions are innate, even bad emotions such as jealousy or anger. To say we should never feel them is just new age pop-psychology, it's not rooted in anything scientific.

I also reckon that people fear intelligence because of its power. It is the intelligent who make the advances in life, whether scientific or cultural. Again, it boils down to envy.
I'm not denying the fact that most normal folks get angry or jealous, but I don't think we're born to react to a given situation with anger or jealousy. I think we learn this through our upbringing.

I'm not so sure people fear intelligence for it's power. If anything, it's the intelligent who fear the that the less intelligent will come into power. Look at all the frustrated intellectuals who had to endure GWB's presidency. Not exactly a man of great intellect, yet held the most powerful position on the planet. In most cases it's not the most intelligent people who rise to the top of the food chain. I don't think anyone would confuse folks like Donald Trump, Oprah Winfrey, Joe Biden, or Sarah Palin, with the brilliant genius of Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking or even prominent intellectuals like Dr. Jonathan Miller. Yet the Trumps, Winfrey's and Biden's of the world hold positions of great power while some of the most brilliant minds are men and women of modest means.

What's ironic is, sometimes some of the most intelligent and educated people lack common sense or social skills. They marry the wrong mates (often people they feel are their intellectual inferior--it's a form of manipulation and getting the upper hand which often backfires), they are easily angered at the mere suggestion that someone will disagree with them--how dare they, and are often frustrated at the world around them. Subscribing to the "I'm ok, the rest of the world is screwed up" mentality.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:08 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Take for instance your insistence on ascribing to me things that I did not say. That, to me, is a dishonest statement. But feel free to quote verbatim any statement of mine where I supposedly equated spelling errors with inability to read.
"...I'll give people the benefit, but I'll still make my conclusions based on the evidence. I am not grammar police, but if a person seems incapable of making a single complete sentence or spelling a word without errors, the most likely explanation is that this person doesn't read."
Quote:
Or dishonest. Take your pick.
No it is to prove a point, it is akin to using a parable
Quote:
Right, objecting to having words put in my mouth and my statements twisted is a sign of outrageous arrogance, got it. Which would make stupidity a virtue then. Truly, something to aspire to.
Take these explanations of Arrogant as found with a Google search. In them you should see that all are placed by people who believe of having a higher status. Being stupid is no virtue and twisting statements is all part of verbal debate. I do get a chuckle when the bright ones catch on that there are more than one way to parse things. Meaning within meaning.
Quote:
That's one possibility. Another that you can and do read, but for reasons of a personal nature, deliberately misrepresent what you read. Which wouldn't be arrogant, of course.
Why of course I misrepresent what I read, what fun would there be in being pedantic? Now is poking fun being arrogant? In some cases yes, but it also can be instructive. I have found out quite a bit this way. Never trust that all you see and read has only simple definitions. Look for the hidden meanings. One thing I can see by baiting you is that you lack a degree of self humor, the ability to laugh at your foibles and failings. Perhaps you think you do not have any. Now if so that would be Arrogant.

I will stop goading you to get your measure. I think I have it by now.

Good fortune.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
if intelligence as in educational achievement, or simply having high-brow interests, there are plenty of people like this.

But I agree that society is anti-intellectual. Such is life, and it won't change soon.
No, I don't think so, but I think it might be a little anti-don't-you-wish-you-were-an-intellectual-like-me? True intellectuals are fine, interesting, you could probably even learn a thing or two from them. It's the ones who go around trying to show everyone how intellectual they are that repel people.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
You hope I have a great Sunday? Really? You mean, as you are walking away, you are thinking to yourself: "Geez, how I HOPE TO GOD this ****ing ***** has a GREAT time today! That, and to win the lottery." Is that what you are thinking, for real? Why do people say crap like that when they mean exactly the opposite? Must be all that much-touted humility. Goes nicely with disingenuousness.
No, I respect your posts whether I agree with you or not and it was sincere, so, I'm hoping you'll give me the benefit of the doubt.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:58 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
No, I don't think so, but I think it might be a little anti-don't-you-wish-you-were-an-intellectual-like-me? True intellectuals are fine, interesting, you could probably even learn a thing or two from them. It's the ones who go around trying to show everyone how intellectual they are that repel people.
Society values ignorance over being learned, and low-brow interests over high-brow ones. This is just how society is, probably always has been.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
samston wrote:
Quote:
Society values ignorance over being learned, and low-brow interests over high-brow ones. This is just how society is, probably always has been.
Please tell me you really don't believe this hogwash. Society has never valued ignorance. Do really stupid and ignorant people get the good jobs, an attractive husband or wife, the respect of the community, or anything else that is positive? No they don't. Why would you even say such a thing?

Old 05-23-2010, 05:09 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
samston wrote:

Please tell me you really don't believe this hogwash. Society has never valued ignorance. Do really stupid and ignorant people get the good jobs, an attractive husband or wife, the respect of the community, or anything else that is positive? No they don't. Why would you even say such a thing?
Well, which interests are valued higher by society? An interest in opera, or American Idol?

How many persons even like opera, or attend one regularly? How many have developed views on history, politics, economics, etc.? Few do.

Intellectual pursuits are less partook in than low-brow ones. This is a no-brainer, and evidence of our anti-intellectual society. This is the reason why our pop culture mocks intellectual activities, since the mass of persons are not intellectual.

Another point is that human beings are naturally shallow. Most don't care about, or at least don't understand, subjects that study the wider picture.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:04 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
A smart woman is sooo much a better partner than a dull woman. It's like the difference between an imaginative courtesan from Louis XIV's court or a Japanese geisha and a plastic sex doll. They both have an intake port but the joy and suprise is on a whole different plane with the smart chick.

But of course a good relationship is much more than good frisky business (although it really helps!). My wife is way smarter than me on nearly every level computationally (she just has a naturally better engine up there) but I hold my own knowledge-wise , especially in useless trivia! It's such a pleasure having a real helpmate or partner with two puting their heads together to solve problems vs alway me alone trying to solve the problem generated by the wife (as was the case by my first wife). Also, it's just so great having a wife that you can talk to about just any subject imagineable and she "gets it" without a whole lot of preamble.

My wife has an engineering degree, law degree, and during a period where she was burned out on criminal law and criminals where she got a hazmat truckdriving certification and massage certification. (It's that massage cert. that I find the most useful!). At first I was intimidated by a her a bit in that she was just flat out more competant than me in most ways and I was used to be the absolute top alpha dog. I quickly grew to love her intelligence and the way she is modest and never lords it over people.

All you guys out there who never would never consider dating the bookworm: give it a shot, she might just be a lot hotter than you'd think!

Last edited by bamba_boy; 05-23-2010 at 06:20 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Default Freudian Slop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I like this thread, it gives me hope.

I have an 85 IQ, so that is like a pretty solid B. Thank you ladies for licing guys with entilegents.
I think that the "licing" (pronounced with a hard c" was a freudian slip mispelling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships