U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM

714 posts, read 1,803,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Does anyone think this sort of behavior is more common with men that are blue collar? My husband works in skilled trades and spends half his day with the engineers at work and the other half with the guys on the floor. He tells me stories all the time about how the guys on the floor assume all the women in the plant want them.
Empirical observation would suggest yes....or maybe white collars have had more practice holding their thoughts and their tongues due to their jobs. It seems that blue collars can speak as filthy as they like because they are not often in mixed company? And they assume 'it's all guy talk'? Although I see what you mean, but don't overestimate the polished manners of the white collars, I've been privy to conversations from them after I've left the room by a male friend and their language is better coded but just as filthy and just as delusional.

But I can say that as a woman I don't have men in business suits racing up to my vehicle on the road to make obscene come-on gestures just because I allowed them to merge in front of me...that seems to be strictly contractor /blue-collar nonsense. Meanwhile, back on EARTH...I'm not thinking ohh la la, oh baby baby when I see this -- I'm thinking WTF did Leavenworth just open all their doors and turn everyone loose?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM

24,661 posts, read 36,415,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So you're saying if you meet a woman and she is nice, friendly, interested about your life, and asks you to go do something (golf, a movie, etc), you would not think she was interested in you?
I have met a few women here and there who are nice, friendly, etc., but have never been asked out by a woman or anything of that nature. So it would be hard to believe that someone were interested in me just because they were nice. I would assume they maybe would want to be friends, because I'm a nice, friendly guy, but I never assume they want more.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
It could be that they're not used to it.

OR...

It could be that they're not assuming she likes them, they're rallying an attempt to get her interested because at least she's not blatantly DIS-interested.
^ This.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,870,564 times
Not wise to assume anything.
Smarter to just ask and know for sure.
Since I as a man have to approach I am going to at least ask if she is already attached and ask if she is interested.
And I will ask questions in a respectful manner.
Its not difficult for her to say No. I will then leave immediately.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM

44,255 posts, read 58,852,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Our definitions of "nice" must be very different. Not everybody who is nice asks you to do activities or spend time/hang out with them.

Most of the folks in this discussion are talking about friendly and pleasant gestures such as waving, saying hello and making small talk and those friendly gestures being misread.
Ohhhhhhh...ok. Now I see the disconnect. I see friendly and pleasant gestures like waving, saying hello, etc, as the basic foundation of politeness and courtesy no matter where I go and who is there. So I don't consider that 'being nice.' I consider that proper behavior.

So I totally misunderstood this. I thought y'all meant when a woman spends time talking to a guy or being friendly, interested in being friends, etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:27 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,880,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I agree with you. Most guys are horrible at picking up body language and signals.
I know, men have horrible mindreading skills.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,929,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I know, men have horrible mindreading skills.
Cool. Good thing you don't know what I'm thinking right now.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 AM

4,432 posts, read 7,656,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I agree with you. Most guys are horrible at picking up body language and signals.
True. However when I was single I used to think that if I smiled and said hello to a woman and she did the return to me it meant that she was friendly and I could approach her.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,072,978 times
"Why does a guy assume if a woman is nice to him that she likes him?"

Hmm... seems like we need to do a proper study with College age volunteers to establish the truth in this for everyone. We would need to segregate those males that, after answering a lengthy questioner, have never see any niceness from those that the women fawn over. Also we would need to select a few Women to match the proper Stereotypes to eliminate any chances that it is only the rich girls that suffer from this assumption of men thinking she likes them.

Once we have our test subjects we can start with simple interactions. The first being having the Women say "Hello" to the man. After which we would ask him "What did you think she meant when she said "Hello"? If they all respond that this was a open invitation to sex and a demand to Father her children we may be on to something Sociologically important. If not all men act this way we can increase the "niceness" quotient until we finaly reach Saturation where the preponderance of the guys think she likes him. Might not happen until she rips off all her clothes and says "Take me you handsome brute".

We might also need to eliminate the engineering male students from the study since even the last action may not be clear enough for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships